The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Z firmware is online, but it isn't what we expected.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
:(

Oh well. Maybe we'll get the one we've been waiting for before the end of the month?

tcdeveau

Yeah I guess it'll be post-Z9 announcement, or maybe contemporaneous with it. I got excited when I saw the post on Nikon Rumors and then yawned when I saw the release notes.

If they get some of the Z9 AF features over to the Z6II I was thinking about maybe picking one of those up as a second body (or upgrading my Z6).

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Theory is apparently that the AF update is going to be inline with the Z9 announcement and this current 1.3 was to get the cams ready for the AF update -- it is possible it will come relatively soon. One can hope...

Godfrey

I've been disconnected with Nikon doings for some years now. What were you all expecting, and what materialized?

G

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
We were told we'd be getting a FW update that improves the eye-detect AF.* We got an update that stated it included new jpeg and video skintone styles and fixed an issue with the rear LCD display with no mention of AF.

*Ironically, my eye detect AF does seem to work better(!) but it was not specifically mentioned as being part of this update. However, I did not perform a specific test, just had a happenstance opportunity in low light where it worked extremely well on a moving subject that happened to also be wearing eyeglasses. As such it could just be my imagination, though it leaves me curious if others note similar...

Alan

I've been disconnected with Nikon doings for some years now. What were you all expecting, and what materialized?
Rumor-driven expectation: FW 2.0
Materialized: FW 1.3

A little (more) patience is probably in order.