The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikkor Z 26mm f/2.8 Photos and Discussions

Darin Marcus

Picked mine today from the local camera store. Will play with it tomorrow and start posting photos and comments here.

First observation - it sets and locks auto distortion correction to ‘on’ in camera, like a few other Nikkor Z lenses.

Darin Marcus

From today's visit to Alexandria, Virginia, for the St. Patrick's Day Parade:

Nikon Z6, Nikkor Z 26mm f/2.8, 1/800, f/5.6, ISO 100

Nikon Z6, Nikkor Z 26mm f/2.8, 1/1000, f/5.6, ISO 100

Nikon Z6, Nikkor Z 26mm f/2.8, 1/1000, f/5.6, ISO 100

Sunny, clear skies, midday.
Auto distortion correction on/locked in Nikon NX Studio. Vignetting is visible even at f/5.6 (reduced in post in the above photos).

Will try to post a few straight to jpeg brick walls (handheld) later today.

Darin Marcus

The brick walls of Alexandria :)

Handheld, full size, straight to jpeg in Nikon NX Studio, at...

f/2.8: http://qqqqmq.sn.files.1drv.com/y4m...QAmJt6fI1cilp2pJ5AabMmGYJmdE3YOQ/_DSC4737.jpg

f/4: http://qgqqmq.sn.files.1drv.com/y4m...xFj69nGDmR3BHUAW5f64ht-MF8XNiVBw/_DSC4738.jpg

f/5.6: http://paqqmq.sn.files.1drv.com/y4m...ZF0ECqHV6mgN4GKtiCuf7mF4gNAop6oA/_DSC4739.jpg

Auto distortion correction applied automatically.
Please note that my camera settings are neutral, and no output sharpening was done.

Last edited:

pegelli

Agree, nice series and a "punchy" lens with a sharp and modern rendering.

I would love a 26 mm for my camera, I always think way too long about putting the 24 or 28 mm in my bag, this lens might save me that thinking time :ROFLMAO:

Darin Marcus

Agree, nice series and a "punchy" lens with a sharp and modern rendering.

I would love a 26 mm for my camera, I always think way too long about putting the 24 or 28 mm in my bag, this lens might save me that thinking time :ROFLMAO:
Yeah, a good compromise for those who think that 24mm is too wide, and 28mm is not wide enough :LOL:

The lens is indeed very sharp, and of course very small & light - a compact combo with the Z6, and a great "take it everywhere" combo with the Z50 :cool:
It reminds me of the Oly EPL1 / Panny 20mm combo I had a long time ago for the same reason (~40mm equivalent on both the Oly and the Z50).

Among the downsides, vignetting, weaker corners, a bit noisier when focusing, busier OOF backgrounds in some cases, and a bit of flare due to having only basic coating (I have not yet used the fancy hood). However, in my experience so far, the noisier focus (due to the entire lens assembly being moved) only happened when the focus point changed dramatically - for example from very close to infinity. In most cases, the AF is reasonably fast and silent (can't say anything about video), and the "tube" does not extend much outside the lens body.

On the Z50 the distance between the lens and the grip could be a problem for thicker fingers - it works just about right in my case.