The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikkor Z 50mm f/1.2s Photos and Discussion

jdphoto

The Z is an incredible camera and the build quality is really good. You'll be very impressed with that setup. Enjoy!

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I'm scratching my head a bit here, wondering what this lens is for. It's easy to figure out who it's for, since photo and camera enthusiasts are apparently queueing up to buy it, but how would it make a photo better compared to a 50mm lens that one can actually carry around?

I had some of the same thoughts when the 105mm f/1.4 in F-mount was launched, and when the 1.5 kg Sigma competitor came, I was flat out laughing. But those are telephoto/portrait lenses with twice the focal length.

There are some pretty cool 50mm lenses around, and even the somewhat bulky, not as sharp but very nice, 58mm f/1.4 is less than 400g. Is this about photography, or is it a question of having the sharpest, biggest knife, no matter what?

Please don't see this as an insult if you have already bought this lens. We all have different needs and urges. I'm just wondering...
I was in line for this lens as well before I actually realised a few days ago how big and bulky it is. I currently own the 1.8 50 S and this is already a large lens compared to F mount glass. Gut it is exceptionally sharp.

I don't doubt that the 1.2 50 S is even sharper and optically better but unless I really need this bokeh I probably will now not go down that route as I originally wanted.

BTW - same is true for the Canon RF 1.2 lenses and this was actually one of the main reasons I did not go the Canon RF rout but choose the Nikon Z route instead.

So maybe this lens - as wonderful it is - will not be in my stable soon, as I want and prefer some more portable equipment and still have to add lot of fix starters for the Z system like the 2.8 70-200 S and the 2.8 14-24 S instead.

Anyway if one already owns this lens, it is beautiful and maybe the best fast 50 prime one can get today but I think not for me.

KeithL

I'd be all over the 50 1.2 S if it was smaller and lighter, but I just can't see me carrying it around enough to warrant buying.

If I do buy a 50 1.2 it would likely be the Voigtlander VM Nokton Aspherical as I already have the Novoflex adapter.