The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikkor Z 50mm f/1.2s Photos and Discussion

tcdeveau

Well, Nikon rumors is reporting that the lens is now shipping, so why not get this party started?

Curious to see how it performs and I haven’t seen many pre-release reviews at all. Obviously a drawback is it’s size, but I’m curious if it’s performance will make me forget about the size for my wants/needs.

B&H just charged my card tonight, so maybe my order will be shipping soon....

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I am curious and have high hopes too; I am certain it will impress us all. My biggest hold back is size and weight, and of course cost for the added usability over the 50/1.8S. Plus I own a 50/1.2 manual, though if I'm honest it is not all that great optically, especially compared to the 50/1.8S. So for now I use it with its aperture ring taped wide open at f1.2 for it's unique look -- read soft, hazy and etherial! :ROFLMAO:

tcdeveau

I am curious and have high hopes too; I am certain it will impress us all. My biggest hold back is size and weight, and of course cost for the added usability over the 50/1.8S. Plus I own a 50/1.2 manual, though if I'm honest it is not all that great optically, especially compared to the 50/1.8S. So for now I use it with its aperture ring taped wide open at f1.2 for it's unique look -- read soft, hazy and etherial! :ROFLMAO:
Haha I feel you. The 50mm 1.8s and 85mm 1.8s were recently on sale, so I also ordered both of those as well from Best Buy so that'd I have them in hand for when baby #2 comes next month (in the event the 50mm 1.2s didn't come any time soon and is delayed months). We'll see if copy #3 of the 85mm behaves better than the first two from B&H.

Should get those next week and happy to try and do some non-scientific comparisons between the 1.2 and 1.8 at some point when the 1.2s comes in (hopefully soon, just waiting on the shipping notification)....I just hope you don't mind cat photos.

I'm sure the 1.8s will be perfectly "good enough", but would I really be a GetDPI member/current armchair photographer if I could only settle for 1.8?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
It'll be stellar no question, and probably as good at f1.2 as the 1.8 is at 1.8 (y)(y)(y)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
TC: While we originally relegated Dante's warning to the MF forum, it's pretty clear those same forces resound in all the higher-end gear sectors ;)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Agreed -- that 50/1.2 looks impressive. But I'm asking myself how much I'd really use it at f1.2 -- and the answer is probably not often enough to warrant the weight penalty, let alone the initial outlay. Of course it's a freaking bargain by Leica lens price standards! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

tcdeveau

Oooo thanks for sharing Jack! I always forget about FM....I lurk their buy/sell section but probably need to start participating a little so people don’t think I’m a scammer when I PM ppl about for sale ads.

Those look pretty good! Hopefully I’ll get mine next week

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Re the FM thread -- it's interesting to me that the one guys images look so good, but the other guy that's posting, his all look softish at both f1.2 and f1.8. I assume poor processing, but IDK, maybe sample variation?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Re the FM thread -- it's interesting to me that the one guys images look so good, but the other guy that's posting, his all look softish at both f1.2 and f1.8. I assume poor processing, but IDK, maybe sample variation?
I'd rather call it "photographer variation". It takes skill to use an F/1.2 lens on a full frame camera, particularly a heavy lens like this one.

tcdeveau

Here we go!

Initial impressions:
- weight isn’t bad and feels well balanced enough, although larger than the 24-70 2.8s (retracted)
- snappy focus and unsurprisingly very sharp wide open at 1.2.

more to come....

Will share some images in a bit...

4A49E533-ACC0-4C63-82B3-03F83D18A983.jpeg1495C092-76B4-4EA5-96A3-03E5A16D0D3F.jpeg

tcdeveau

Sorry for the mediocre pics in bad light. I’ll get some more over the next couple days.

And yes haha no cat pic filter, prob more to come...

One thing I noticed - with AF, it definitely doesn’t feel like a 1.2 lens. It’s just as snappy as the 24-70 2.8, maybe even snappier. Wide open it focuses pretty damn fast. Touching the touch screen AF is almost instantaneous....and that’s on a gen 1 Z6. I wonder what they could do with the rumored Z9....

Along those lines and regarding size, the aperture diaphragm is pretty far forward in the lens - it seems like a lot of the back end is dedicated to AF and only smaller elements that are moved for AF? I think the Fuji 50mm f1 XF takes a similar approach but I could be wrong.