The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikkor Z 70-200mm f/2.8 S Photos and Discussions

Darin Marcus

Yup, I got one from the very first shipment - thanks to the great team at my favorite local camera store (District Camera of Burke).

Haven't had time yet to shoot with it extensively, but so far it looks like a great companion to the 24-70mm f/2.8 S.
Yes, it is big, and yes, it is heavy - I can feel it in my arm after walking with it attached to the Z6 in my hand for more than 30mins....
But I like the internal zooming :cool:
It is my first 70-200mm f/2.8, so I can't really compare it with anything similar.

Among the negatives so far - vignetting wide open, cat eye bokeh, and my copy is a bit soft at the extreme sides (left and right) at 200mm wide open - still have to check whether that is due to field curvature, as the focus point was in the center.

tcdeveau

Congrats on the new lens and thanks for sharing! I'm definitely curious about this one if they ever ship in large quantities or get in stock places. The 70-200 2.8 VRII was my favorite lens back in the day when I was doing engagement/wedding shoots, and I'm looking forward to getting another 70-200 2.8 at some point now that I'm photographing people again. Not a huge fan of the cat eye bokeh though, and am still somewhat on the fence about the 70-200 2.8s or adapting a VRII or 2.8E to save $$.

Darin Marcus

Congrats on the new lens and thanks for sharing! I'm definitely curious about this one if they ever ship in large quantities or get in stock places. The 70-200 2.8 VRII was my favorite lens back in the day when I was doing engagement/wedding shoots, and I'm looking forward to getting another 70-200 2.8 at some point now that I'm photographing people again. Not a huge fan of the cat eye bokeh though, and am still somewhat on the fence about the 70-200 2.8s or adapting a VRII or 2.8E to save $$.
Thank you!

I hear that the 2.8E is very close optically, at least according to Jim Kasson. For video work, the Z lens is clearly better.
I am still curious about the new Short-wavelength Refractive glass...

It's possible that when you put all the small improvements together, the Z lens is a better proposition (just like the D810 vs. the D800 pair :))
And maybe, on a new "action" Z body, the Z lens will be much faster at focusing due to the multi-focus system.

Darin Marcus

The more I see from these latest S lenses, the less interested I am in going back to Medium Format digital!

:D
Nikon has clearly upped their game with the Z mount lenses.
Although some people claim that a few of the new designs were outsourced (for example, the 85mm f/1.8 S was supposedly designed by KM), mostly to be able to release more Z lenses faster. I have no direct, nor indirect connection to Nikon, so I don't know.

Nevertheless, I really hope they keep releasing great & desired lenses..

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Yup, I got one from the very first shipment - thanks to the great team at my favorite local camera store (District Camera of Burke).

Haven't had time yet to shoot with it extensively, but so far it looks like a great companion to the 24-70mm f/2.8 S.
Yes, it is big, and yes, it is heavy - I can feel it in my arm after walking with it attached to the Z6 in my hand for more than 30mins....
But I like the internal zooming :cool:
It is my first 70-200mm f/2.8, so I can't really compare it with anything similar.

Among the negatives so far - vignetting wide open, cat eye bokeh, and my copy is a bit soft at the extreme sides (left and right) at 200mm wide open - still have to check whether that is due to field curvature, as the focus point was in the center.
Congrats to your new 2.8/70-200 S !!!!
If it is as good as the 2.8/24-70 S (and I have no doubts) then this is definitely the one to go for.
I am planning to get mine over the next few weeks and I will also get the TC2.0 so I can make it also into a 5.6/140-400 - cannot wait for this :cool:;):)

Darin Marcus

Congrats to your new 2.8/70-200 S !!!!
If it is as good as the 2.8/24-70 S (and I have no doubts) then this is definitely the one to go for.
I am planning to get mine over the next few weeks and I will also get the TC2.0 so I can make it also into a 5.6/140-400 - cannot wait for this :cool:;):)
Thank you!

Yes, it is a great companion to the 2.8/24-70 S. I believe the 2.8/14-24 S will be just as good, although I do not plan to buy it as I don't go that wide in my photography...
The new TCs are great as well - I might get the 1.4 at some point.

Darin Marcus

... my copy is a bit soft at the extreme sides (left and right) at 200mm wide open - still have to check whether that is due to field curvature, as the focus point was in the center.
Yup, that was it. With the focus point in a corner, that area/side is sharp. Tested in all corners - I am happy now!

Swissblad

It looks like this lens is very good and likely to become a legend - akin to the original Nikkor 80-200mm f2.8 when it came out with the Nikon F4 way back when.....:cool:

Enjoy your new toy!