The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikkor Z 70-200mm f/2.8 S Photos and Discussions

Darin Marcus

I'm trying to resist buying this lens from Best Buy and am waiting on order fulfillment from B&H (which saves paying sales tax by using the Payboo card). Darin, your photos are pushing me to the edge. Keep 'em coming.
Thank you very much Joe!

Watch out for that sample variation mentioned in Thom Hogan's review.

tcdeveau

I'm trying to resist buying this lens from Best Buy and am waiting on order fulfillment from B&H (which saves paying sales tax by using the Payboo card). Darin, your photos are pushing me to the edge. Keep 'em coming.

Joe
Joe I also saw that Best Buy had stock last week and almost pulled the trigger. Trying to hold off until next year for this one and hoping the my 50 1.2 BH order ships next month in the meantime.

Best Buy also has had Canon R5s and R6s in stock periodically over the last couple week. For anyone in the US looking for the latest and greatest FF35mm stuff from Nikon and Canon its definitely worth checking their site from time to time.
-Todd

Darin Marcus

It appears to make a pretty credible 400mm f5.6 (y)
I think so too. I got the 2x TC so I won’t be that tempted by the new 100-400mm :LOL:

It does introduce a bit of softness and a tiny bit of CA at 200mm, based on the few tests so far, both easily fixed in PP.
I still need to check the impact on focus speed, and on close subjects.

Darin Marcus

Nikon Z50, Nikon Z TC-2.0X, Nikkor Z 70-200mm f/2.8 S @ 400mm (600mm equiv.), 1/250sec, f/8, ISO 200, -0.7EC, VR on, slightly cropped (Meadowlark Botanical Gardens, today)

The 2.0 TC really helps with close-ups (I believe the magnification for the combo gets to 0.4x - 1:2.5, which is pretty good for a non macro lens). The AF did not work well initially (I was using AF-C Wide Area small) - it would not focus at all when close to the subject, but rather on the background. However, after moving it closer to the subject using the focus ring, the lens would then quickly snap into focus. This happened every time when I was at around the minimal focus distance.

Last edited:

Darin Marcus

Thanksgiving 2020 in Manassas National Battlefield Park:

Nikon Z50, Nikon Z TC-2.0X, Nikkor Z 70-200mm f/2.8 S @ 270mm (405mm equiv.), 1/320sec, f/5.6, ISO 100
Cropped a little from the right side before resizing.

One thing I've been thankful for in 2020 is that this park remained open, so we could walk and hike outdoors in some parts of it with plenty of distancing.

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
If I shot longer more often, I would own one of these for sure. And the 1.4 TC :D

Darin Marcus

If I shot longer more often, I would own one of these for sure. And the 1.4 TC :D
Great lens for sure - very happy with my copy. Works very well with the 1.4 TC from what I've seen.
I went with the 2.0 TC for the extra reach, especially on the Z50 - the IQ is still pretty good.

And on this 4 mile walk at Great Falls, Maryland, I carried the Z6 with the lens in my hand the entire time, and it didn't even feel that heavy - must be that New Year's resolution :D