The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikkor Z 70-200mm f/2.8 S Photos and Discussions

ashandger

Almost all the events I planned to go to in order to play with the lens have been canceled. One that adapted was the Fall Harvest Festival at Mount Vernon. Everybody had face masks on, so I took no portraits this year. I had the lens set at f/2.8 for the entire time, so many of the shots have less DOF than needed - like this one:

Nikon Z6, Nikkor Z 70-200mm f/2.8 S @ 200mm, 1/1250sec, f/2.8, ISO 100
Hello Darin, many thanks for sharing all your wonderful images with this lens. Very impressed with the amazing quality you are getting. May I ask how you are processing the wonderful images you are sharing? I am not great at processing just yet hence the question. The sharpness and colours are just wonderful. Many thanks, Ash

Darin Marcus

Hello Darin, many thanks for sharing all your wonderful images with this lens. Very impressed with the amazing quality you are getting. May I ask how you are processing the wonderful images you are sharing? I am not great at processing just yet hence the question. The sharpness and colours are just wonderful. Many thanks, Ash
Hello Ash, and thank you for your comments.

I always convert NEFs using Nikon's software because it gives me a great starting point, I can change some settings like I would change them in the camera (for example the Picture Controls) and I like Nikon colors :)

I believe this was done in Capture NX-D, but I have since switched to the new NX Studio.

I usually don't have to do much post processing on my photos - I normally use the Neutral Picture Control and bump the color saturation +1. For people shots I also try the People Picture Control to see if I get better skin tones. I use the Natural AWB for outdoor shots and do some small adjustments if needed. I usually try to get the exposure as close to the desired value as possible in camera, and do any required adjustments next. I always check if the auto distortion setting improves the photo or not (it is turned off in camera). Finally I export the image as TIFF. Then I import the TIFF in Lightroom Classic, which I use to resize and export the photo as JPEG. Sometimes I do some other small adjustments in Lightroom (for example increase Texture if the photo has many small details).

ashandger

Hello Ash, and thank you for your comments.

I always convert NEFs using Nikon's software because it gives me a great starting point, I can change some settings like I would change them in the camera (for example the Picture Controls) and I like Nikon colors :)

I believe this was done in Capture NX-D, but I have since switched to the new NX Studio.

I usually don't have to do much post processing on my photos - I normally use the Neutral Picture Control and bump the color saturation +1. For people shots I also try the People Picture Control to see if I get better skin tones. I use the Natural AWB for outdoor shots and do some small adjustments if needed. I usually try to get the exposure as close to the desired value as possible in camera, and do any required adjustments next. I always check if the auto distortion setting improves the photo or not (it is turned off in camera). Finally I export the image as TIFF. Then I import the TIFF in Lightroom Classic, which I use to resize and export the photo as JPEG. Sometimes I do some other small adjustments in Lightroom (for example increase Texture if the photo has many small details).
Hello Darin,
Many thanks for taking the time to provide such detailed feedback. This is going to be extremely helpful for me. I have only used Lightroom Classic so far but will add Capture NX Studio to my workflow now. Thanks again for sharing your wonderful images. Cheers, Ash

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
I just ordered this lens myself. Going to Iceland for a week in July and decided now is a good time to upgrade my old AF-S 70-200/2.8 VR2 to the new Z mount lens!
Will bring: Z7 with AF-D 16 Fisheye, Z 20/1.8, Z 50/1.8, Z 14-30/4, Z 24-70/4, Z 70-200/2.8, and perhaps AF-S 300 PF. I was going to bring the D800E , but now I'm actually thinking I might get the Z TC14 and leave the 300PF and D800E at home. Just to lighten things up. Wish I had a second Z body, but I've been saving my pennies for the Z9. I don't think a backup is that critical, I'm sure I can rent or buy an emergency backup locally in Reykjavik if it comes to that.

I really need to sell off some of my excess F-mount gear...

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jan, FWIW I kept a few F lenses that have no Z replacements and use them with the FTZ adapter -- namely the 58/1.4G and 200-500 zoom. (I will likely replace the 200-500 with either the 200-600 or 100-400 Z lenses depending on size, weight and performance. I already have both TC's and the Z 70-200/2.8. The 500 PF remains on my radar simply because of its size and weight, so that could remain an option depending on what the longer Z lens offering is...) I have sold off all of my F bodies and don't miss them one bit ;) I actually sold off my back-up Z71 body a few months ago, using just the lone Z72 until the Z9 starts shipping (yes, I want one!), and I have not missed having it nor ever felt under-gunned -- I would happily do an EU trip right now with just the one body. Hope this helps.

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Got a Z 1.4x to go with the 70-200, plus the TTArtisans 11mm Fisheye in Z mount. With those I shouldn't need the FTZ or have any use for a D800, so won't bring any F mount stuff at all. This should be a very nice kit! I do hope Nikon one day brings out a top notch, compact 70-200/4 S. (Check out the collapsing Canon RF 70-200/2.8...)

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Fantastic lens. Just perfect across the entire field, corner to corner, at f/4 and down. At f/8 it's perfect with the 1.4x. This should work nicely for landscape purposes... though, man, I hope Nikon comes out with an equally excellent 70-200/4 S. This thing is pretty hefty. But it's certainly versatile enough to warrant it. Best 70-200 I've ever used, by far.

The TTArtisans 11/2.8 is a really good Fisheye lens that puts Nikon's AF-D 16/2.8 and the DX 10.5 both to shame. There's just no comparison. Just ever so slightly soft in the corners, but no chromatic aberrations or other significant flaws. Being an 11mm, it can be set to f/5.6 and focus pulled back ever so slightly, and everything is in sharp focus from about a foot and out.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jan, in my own tests several years back, I found all polarizers degraded the images once you got over about 20MP of resolution. Have you compared your new lens with and without the polarizer?

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
I just did a quick test, shot exactly the same subject and there is absolutely no difference with or without the polarizer.

Posting crops seems to be pointless - the server appears to process files, possibly resizing them, and then images are scaled again on display by the browser. Even a link to a file that opens in a new browser tab seems problematic, as chrome loves to scale stuff and you have no ide what exactly you're looking at.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
This site is retina-aware, so if you post a 100% crop at 2048x2048 px --BTW use that for any retina-aware site, and many are now-- it should render well on most displays through most browsers.