The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikkor Z 85mm f/1.8 S Photos and Discussions

Darin Marcus

I just realized I did not create a 'Photos & Discussions' thread for this lens back when I bought it, so here it is :)

I do not take photos of people usually, so I did not use the AFS Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G that much, passing it to a family member when the Z system was announced.
I did not plan to buy the Z version initially, but was intrigued by its lack of aspherical elements, as well as its behavior on the Z50 (~125mm equiv.).

Since buying it I used it a few times and found it better that the F mount version in almost every way (for the things I photograph). I have not used it since August 2020 because of the new kid on the block (the 70-200mm f/2.8 S) on which I've spent almost all my Z time :), but with the recent firmware update for this lens I mounted it on the Z6 and decided to keep it there for a little while...

Nikon Z6, Nikkor Z 85mm f/1.8 S, 1/1250, f/1.8, ISO 100 (Meadowlark Botanical Gardens, April 2021)

Last edited:

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
I like mine. Nice lens.

I wonder about Konica-Minolta though since they're Sony since a number of years, and it seems unlikely Sony would do anything of the kind... Basically, Sony cameras are Minoltas; that organization was entirely absorbed into a business unit. Sony then invested heavily for them to up their game. This makes the idea doubly unlikely IMO.

Darin Marcus

I wonder about Konica-Minolta though since they're Sony since a number of years, and it seems unlikely Sony would do anything of the kind... Basically, Sony cameras are Minoltas; that organization was entirely absorbed into a business unit. Sony then invested heavily for them to up their game. This makes the idea doubly unlikely IMO.
From what I understand, not everything from Konica-Minolta went to Sony. They kept an optical design group that offers their services independently of Sony (https://www.konicaminolta.com/opt/products/reflex/index.html). The claims on the Internet are that even some of the more recent F mount Nikkor lenses were designed by Konica-Minolta - or by them in collaboration with Nikon - (I believe that some of the mentioned lenses were the 20mm f/1.8G, the 24mm f/1.8G - which I own - and even the 28mm f/1.4E). Some of these claims are based on published patents that people associate with these lenses.

I have no first hand info to validate these claims...

Darin Marcus

Last edited: