The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikkor Z 85mm f/1.8 S Photos and Discussions

Darin Marcus

Nikon Z6, Nikkor Z 85mm f/1.8 S, 1/2000sec, f/1.8, ISO 100 (Manassas National Battlefield Park, October 2022)

Horizontal Flip
Since I read /write from left to right, and top to bottom, I am biased to look at photos the same way. Sometimes, the composition does not work for me for this very reason - as I explore a photo from left to right, my view may be blocked right away by certain large vertical objects, and has a hard time moving past them. In such cases, I flip the photo horizontally and check if the composition works better that way.
This is the case with the photo above which I like better after flipping horizontally - what do you think?

Swissblad

Nikon Z6, Nikkor Z 85mm f/1.8 S, 1/2000sec, f/1.8, ISO 100 (Manassas National Battlefield Park, October 2022)

Horizontal Flip
Since I read /write from left to right, and top to bottom, I am biased to look at photos the same way. Sometimes, the composition does not work for me for this very reason - as I explore a photo from left to right, my view may be blocked right away by certain large vertical objects, and has a hard time moving past them. In such cases, I flip the photo horizontally and check if the composition works better that way.
This is the case with the photo above which I like better after flipping horizontally - what do you think?
Not sure, Daren, would need to look at both side by side...interesting take though.

Arjuna

Horizontal Flip
I prefer the version you posted. When it is flipped horizontally, to me it feels as if the tree is falling down to the right, unpleasantly. The tree and its shape are not quite vertical, visually, but it is interesting that it looks/feels differently depending upon the direction. Thank you for this post. I don't think that I have ever flipped a photo this way before, except maybe to correct a scan from film that was done backwards, but I will keep in mind from now on.