The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon 20mm f/1.8 G AF-S NIKKOR (2014-)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
It's better than any other F-mount 20mm before it and will serve you well, especially stopped down a few. However that said, I found that 20 was not always enough, especially with tighter rooms. A Nikon or Sigma 14-24 may be a better overall option, and stopped down to f5.6 or 8 which you will likely be anyway, they'll be as good as primes in that range.

Required

I got the 20/1.8 to complement my heavy Nikon 14-24 and found myself loving its amazing compact size, low weight and high performance.
And a pre owned copy can be bought for close to nothing.
I actually sold my 14-24 later on because I found it too large and heavy for my needs and it spent most time on a shelf.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I agree with Jack that the 20mm may not always be wide enough for interiors. The lens I ended up buying back in the day rather than the Nikkor was the Zeiss 21mm f/2.8. The advantages of the Zeiss are that it's slightly sharper at the edges than the Nikkor at f/2.8, but more importantly its ability to render exactly the same colours, contrast and sharpness at all apertures. The downside is the famous moustache distortion. Never a problem for me, but may be for others, particularly for some kinds of architecture.