The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon 28-75 2.8 Z and 800mm 6.3 Z

aksclix

Oh well!! I was just going to sell my z50 as I got a z7 but looks like I’ll hold on to it after all to get this crazy 1200mm equivalent telephoto lens 😂
I’ll also wait for some generous person here to sell his/her z9 at some point.. 😀

Swissblad

Seeing the 500mm PF is significantly cheaper than the 500mm f4.0, my bet is the 800mm PF will be between $5 -$6K.

Either way, this lens is continuing the PF tour de force - well done Nikon!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
f6.3 and PF will definitely keep the price down. Nikon seems to be pricing aggressively against the competitors. The 28-75 is non-S and very likely the Tamron design.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Not sure if Nikon works together with Tampon in order to design their lenses, I would think they did their own 28-75 design ....

Swissblad

Not sure if Nikon works together with Tampon in order to design their lenses, I would think they did their own 28-75 design ....
You may be right... the Tamron lens has 17 elements in 15 groups, whereas the Nikon has 15 elements in 12 groups including 1 super ED lens, 1 ED lens and 3 aspherical lenses.....;)

BTW your autocorrect version of Tamron is hysterical.....:)

Darin Marcus

You may be right... the Tamron lens has 17 elements in 15 groups, whereas the Nikon has 15 elements in 12 groups including 1 super ED lens, 1 ED lens and 3 aspherical lenses.....;)
You need to compare with the G1 version of the Tamron, from 2018, which looks identical optically. What NikonRumors shows now in their comparison post is the new G2 version of the Tamrom, which is different. Hope they fix the comparison soon…

tcdeveau

Yeah as Darin mentioned there’s a G1 and G2 version of the Tamron….other corners of the internet are saying it’s similar/indentical to the G1 version.

I’m not too concerned about who makes it and it’s nice to see other lens options.

Sample photos look nice,I’m curious to see how it compares to the 24-70 f2.8 in terms of OOF areas and bokeh

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Yup -- it looks like a dead ringer for the G1 version, which is somewhat disturbing --- you'd think they'd at least license the G2 version if they're going to use it. And if Nikon really wanted to do it right, they'd at least have made it a 28-90 with a macro LOL.

tcdeveau

Yup -- it looks like a dead ringer for the G1 version, which is somewhat disturbing --- you'd think they'd at least license the G2 version if they're going to use it. And if Nikon really wanted to do it right, they'd at least have made it a 28-90 with a macro LOL.
maybe the G2 version is too close to performance to the 24-70 2.8S, or maybe Tamron didn’t want to license it, or the economics didn’t make sense, or….??

Regardless, pretty hefty rebranding/rehousing price premium if it is indeed a rebranded G1 but it is what it is. Still nice to see more lens options

Swissblad

Using the G1 is really going feed the trolls into a frenzy - especially at a premium price.