The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon Df

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Awesome images Bob, thanks for sharing them -- I may have to do a second think on this body!

biglouis

^^^ that sensor and lens combination looks absolutely beautiful ^^^

... and you have use it well!

LouisB

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Awesome images Bob, thanks for sharing them --
Thanks all for the likes!

Much about this camera works for me....even if it were in a brown bag...retro metro and all that.

Analog dials for much of what we need...all locked so unlikely to get bumped.

Truth is I was going to get another Canon 1DX as I do prefer large optical VF and large chip cameras...the store had a Df kit and I realized that a D4 chip in a small body really is pretty amazing. All of the above shots were low ISO files but they are very malleable.

I was able to pull up the blacks to a huge extent without much loss in IQ...first time out I was playing it fairly conservative...not wanting to blow the highlights.
I believe the only RAW game at the moment is NX2 and it almost gives too much saturation in the color for my preference...I found myself using negative numbers initially then decided to let it run.

The major hurdle will be learning to balance skin tone colors....almost everything I shot today was very close to what I saw color-wise, however it was a cold overcast low-contrast morning.

And I have to say that NX2 is much improved from my D3(s) days.

I may pick up another camera in the next year...seems like whenever Nikon gets something right they end up changing or discontinuing it.

Now for glass...50 1.2 all the ZF.2s I let go...

white.elephant

Lovely images, indeed. I'm renting a body next week to check it out, and I'm even more anxious to get my hands on it than I was yesterday.

Thanks for posting these.

Last couple in red....

Nikon Df 50 F1.8 Kit Lens

Rail Sign in Red

Wreath on Caboose

Thanks,

Bob

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Awesome images Bob, thanks for sharing them -- I may have to do a second think on this body!
You really need to put this in your hands to gauge whether you like it or not. The D4 sensor is a light sink, rather like the D3s was. It seems to be flexible enough to shoot anywhere anytime.

In one day I've already decided to trade my D600 for some "new" old glass. At the end of the day it's glass that matters.

Btw, those that are concerned about the manual dials. Don't be, you can drive this camera just like any other digital Nikon if that's your preference.

Put the camera on quiet mode and shoot with some Ai/AIS glass and you'll get a hint of the enjoyable shooting experience with this camera too.

Thorkil

Nikon Df Sigma 18-35 F1.8

Steam Engine Wheels

Wheel and Springs

Rail Car Wheels in Reserve

Thanks,

Bob

Words that comes in ones mind: very well-balanced color-tones, modest (as the opposite to alarming), rich, smooth in a pleasent way (good for the eye), yet sufficient powerful, well-balanced rendering all in all

thorkil

docmoore

A few more with the Df

Cows in Autumn Field

Nikon Df ZF.2 50 F2

Flowers in Vase

Wagon Wheel

Thanks,

Bob

docmoore

Shades of Orange

Train Rust

Rail Car Lettering

Rail Bridge and Graffiti

Thanks,

Bob

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
My Df arrived today but I am traveling so no testing yet . I have a D4 so I know what to expect from the files . Most important to understand that Bob is using NX2 to do his raw conversions . My tests showed that NX2 produced the most accurate and pleasing color (including skin tones ) without much effort ....but the workflow when using LR was complex .

Nx2 produces a very natural look which by comparison to LR/PS is desaturated . It also produces better micro contrast which can be seen in the color tone separation .

Very nice set of photographs thanks for posting .

I picked up a Df specifically for it's low light capability. So of course I'm driving early this morning and noticed this black-crowned night heron at the edge of a marsh. Pulled over, made some quick adjustments and took this image with the 58/1.4g. Straight out of camera. Will try full rez file to see if it works.

f/2.5, 1/200, iso 100.

Thorkil

My Df arrived today but I am traveling so no testing yet . I have a D4 so I know what to expect from the files . Most important to understand that Bob is using NX2 to do his raw conversions . My tests showed that NX2 produced the most accurate and pleasing color (including skin tones ) without much effort ....but the workflow when using LR was complex .

Nx2 produces a very natural look which by comparison to LR/PS is desaturated . It also produces better micro contrast which can be seen in the color tone separation .

Very nice set of photographs thanks for posting .
has anyone tried in C1 ?
thorkil

Paratom

those images look very good. great color and tones. If I was still into Nikon I would jump on a DF immediately. Having such a great flexible sensor in a small camera with a nice and simple user interface…very nice IMO.