The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon Df

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Black or silver, decisions, decisions… Does anybody know if the black one is brass underneath? :D :D :D

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Silver looks interesting from a retro look perspective but I think you'll prefer the quality of the black version better when you see it in the flesh. It just seems better finished overall.

Oh and as Guy says, black is for pros :)

Armanius

Does the DF have a focus confirmation aid when manually focusing -- including when using older Nikkor manual focus only lenses?

grappa

Even after reading all the bad press etc. I got one just because of it's using the D4 sensor. Turns out that it's easily the favorite (right now ) of my many cameras including the Mark 3 and the 800E. I love the ergonomics of using the wheels instead of the menus,but most of all I can shoot at stupidly high ISO and still get great quality.
Most amazing is that the black and white shots come out as well as they do.
The kit lens is a keeper too.

Thorkil

when Jack comes back from shopping, he just has to do some in C1, to see if they can stand up against the NX2-ones
but if anyone got both a D610 and a Df, a comparison would be appriciated (just to covince my wallet that I certainly don't need a Df..:( )
thorkil

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
The D4 sensor is about the only thing that makes me want to buy one, its either this or a 7100. I need something for runway and i shoot about 15 thousand images in about 3 days. My issue is I am wearing my D800E out and I do not need 36mpx to shoot this stuff. I do need fast continuous focus and about 3 fps only. I shoot about 5 frames in a 75 foot walk down the runway any more than that its way to much to load up via smugmug. I need a vertical grip too or else its no good for me. I just checked a rental for a 7100 and its only 185 bucks for the time I need it. Frankly that is my best option but I like owning stuff. LOL

This is the ONLY gig I shoot jpegs on, so they have to be good out of cam.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Really grew a strong dislike to C1 prior to 7 as it spewed folders wherever it could without a good reason....good color and RAW but just so lame.

I just downloaded 7.1.5 and it does not see the Df RAW files ... perhaps an update by the first of the year?

I do want to compare the skin tones from C1 with NX2 when it addresses the RAW files.

Bob

carstenw

Black or silver, decisions, decisions… Does anybody know if the black one is brass underneath? :D :D :D
Nope :) But I believe that the silver one is painted... I saw one today, and it didn't look quite the same as a silver Leica M6 or whatever.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Well I just got back from shopping and did go for the black one :D Factory low battery got depleted setting up the menus and AF fine-tuning a few lenses, so it's on the charger now. And they had no extras in stock, about a week out.

Anyway, a few comments. A 64G card looks like it will do about 1400 RAW+LgFine jpgs, or about how long the battery is supposed to last.

I am really impressed with the control layout -- amazing to me that Nikon could build a camera smaller and lighter and that looks so cool retro, yet all of the main controls fall almost right where they do on a D800. Love the fact this one does the 100% zoom on review with the Fn button too -- I seriously wouldn't have bought in if it didn't.

This could be the ultimate travel cam; smallish, light and easy to use while producing phenomenal files.

It may just be me, but does anybody else think the AF seems a tad bit faster than even the D800's? (Frankly surprises me if it is.)

I agree with the comment above about it becoming an instant favorite. I honestly bought this as an indulgent toy, albeit one that would look cool and had the ability to produce phenomenal images when I wanted a casual camera. What I got may still be a toy, but it fits my hands and works much like my other goto workhorses. I like it enough, I can see a future where another one of them may displace one of my D800 bodies...

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
@Guy, my only issue with the 135 is it's a focal length I've never cozied up to. For whatever reason, it's always seemed either just a tad too long or a tad too short, leaving me seeing more in a 105 or 180 mode. I know it may well be the best optic available for FF digital at present, but I'd have a tough time coughing up that coin for something I feel I wouldn't use very much. It's frankly why I don't own a 80-200 zoom anymore either -- I typically only used it at 100-ish or 200, and never much in between.

The 180 Nikkors are pretty cheap right now, and while clearly not in the same optical league as the Z135 I made some great images with one of the ED manual focus versions back when I shot film. So I may try to get one of those or the newer AF versions to play with.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
@Jack
The controls are exactly where they were on my F and my F3hp LOL
-bob

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
What is missing is the thumb lever hooked to a tiny magneto to charge the battery