The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon Df

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
@Jack
The controls are exactly where they were on my F and my F3hp LOL
-bob
Which is why it was somewhat of a pleasant revelation to see it in the flesh...I was willing to consider a Sony A99 as I loved my A900 color but when I saw the Df I was convinced...not love but sincere like....and an optical VF.

I now find the color to be vastly improved ... the yellows are yesterdays news.

I love how strong the analog locks are on the camera...no slipping and changing in the bag or with an errant move in the dark.

Have acquired a 105 DC on Jack's strong recommendation and a 58 1.4 in spite of his recommendation...:ROTFL:

Now where are those additional batteries? Tell the truth it is refreshing to see how quickly Nikon shipped ... not vaporware.

Never want to pass an opportunity to post a pic...

Nikon Df 50 F1.8 Kit Lens

Bridge Graffiti

More Graffiti

Train Roundtable Switches

Bob

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Really the compelling point of this camera!

Bob
That's for sure --- made that much more obvious from the great set of images you've shared which allowed us to see the exceptional color palette :thumbs:

Seriously, it was the images you posted here and yours and Graham's combined remarks about the usability, controls and menus that sold me. Nothing in Nikon's literature convinced me this cam was going to be worth the price...

I get to use it this weekend, so hope I have some nice images to post next week. Don't have capture NX, so not sure what I'll convert with at this point.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
That's for sure --- made that much more obvious from the great set of images you've shared which allowed us to see the exceptional color palette :thumbs:

Seriously, it was the images you posted here and yours and Graham's combined remarks about the usability, controls and menus that sold me. Nothing in Nikon's literature convinced me this cam was going to be worth the price...

I get to use it this weekend, so hope I have some nice images to post next week. Don't have capture NX, so not sure what I'll convert with at this point.
Think only View NX2 is on the CD in the box...Not with it ... Capture NX2 is what I have had forever but I think View NX2 is not worth the time...and Capture NX2 is the one you want...2.4.5

Here is a link...

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Pr...e-NX-2---Full-version-(Digital-download).html

It has NIK control point software integrated....

Bob

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I hate to pay $180 bucks for what will be a temporary piece of software for me. I happen *LOVE* C1's workflow and the quality conversions it gives me. Hopefully they'll get the Df NEF updated soon.

white.elephant

I am really impressed with the control layout -- amazing to me that Nikon could build a camera smaller and lighter and that looks so cool retro, yet all of the main controls fall almost right where they do on a D800. Love the fact this one does the 100% zoom on review with the Fn button too -- I seriously wouldn't have bought in if it didn't.

(snip)

I agree with the comment above about it becoming an instant favorite. I honestly bought this as an indulgent toy, albeit one that would look cool and had the ability to produce phenomenal images when I wanted a casual camera. What I got may still be a toy, but it fits my hands and works much like my other goto workhorses.
I rented a body from LensRentals.com and I love the feel and the quality of the images. I *hoped* I would like it but it's a deeper feeling than that. The one I rented is the silver, but I'm probably going to buy a black.

bensonga

The D4 sensor is about the only thing that makes me want to buy one...
Agreed.

...its either this or a 7100
Surely it can't be either/or Guy! I have a D7100, but I still think a less expensive D4 (which for now is the Df) could be a worthy addition. For me however, that would only be if it was less expensive than the current Df price.

I don't care to pay extra for the retro features...it's the D4 sensor I'm interested in.

If Nikon put a D4 sensor in a compact D7100 style body for less than $2k....I'd buy it in a heart beat.

Gary

ryc

I a torn. I just spent a boat load on new lenses and a d4. I love the d4 build and sensor. however, dont like the 6k i just put down on it. Having said that I have not stopped thinking about returning the d4 to amazon (I have about 10 days left) and getting the df. what to do !#$?? I know if I return the D4 I will regret it. and If I don't buy the DF I will regret it. I am like a monkey that grabs a piece of salt through a small hole and wants to escape but also wants the salt. therefor never letting go and his hand wont come out through the hole while gripping the salt. leading to eventual capture.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Jorge - just how many D4s have you purchased now?

I think you'll be surprised at the usability of the Df but it certainly won't give you the same heft as a full D4. For some people that physical nature of the full size D bodies is important (I'm one btw, although I like the feel of the Df).

I prefer to think of the Df as a mini-D4 in some retro clothing. The retro stuff is nice to use and I certainly don't miss the video as I've never used it. However, the Df acts just like any other Nikon digital body which is a big plus IMHO.

GrahamWelland

If you focus manually, you can get the focus confirmation in the viewfinder as best as the Df can manage for you.

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I a torn. I just spent a boat load on new lenses and a d4. I love the d4 build and sensor. however, dont like the 6k i just put down on it. Having said that I have not stopped thinking about returning the d4 to amazon (I have about 10 days left) and getting the df. what to do !#$?? I know if I return the D4 I will regret it. and If I don't buy the DF I will regret it. I am like a monkey that grabs a piece of salt through a small hole and wants to escape but also wants the salt. therefor never letting go and his hand wont come out through the hole while gripping the salt. leading to eventual capture.
Let's be clear what the Df isn't -- and that's a D4! It shares a sensor, and so can make single images equal to the D4. It can't do 11 FPS and it can't do video. And if you drop your Df on the cobbles, I give it a 50/50 chance of survival -- where the D4 is a likely survivor and may not even show any bruises.

So that out of the way, IF you don't need 11 frames per second or the robust build or video, then for the same expense, you could own a pair of Df's --- and speaking for myself, if the choice for me was one body or 2, I'd always go for 2. And more specifically to your case, the 2 I'd go for would be a Df and a D800E, same total cost as a D4 and more total versatility. But I don't need 11 frames per second or the robust build, especially if I have 2 bodies…

V

Vivek

The Df is pretty expensive here (3029 Euros/kit). The D800 body is 2086 Euros (about 13 Euros less than the Sony A7R).

Armanius

If you focus manually, you can get the focus confirmation in the viewfinder as best as the Df can manage for you. IIRC (I don't have the camera with me here) You will need to either use a shutter half press or the AF-ON button while focusing to have it display focus confirmation.
Is there some type of indicator that lights up if the DF thinks you have manually achieved focus? And how accurate is the aid?

Thank you for your help Graham. I really appreciate it.

GrahamWelland

Is there some type of indicator that lights up if the DF thinks you have manually achieved focus? And how accurate is the aid?

Thank you for your help Graham. I really appreciate it.
You will see a green dot when in focus. There are also indicators either side if focused beyond or in front of the focal point. You also see this all the time that the VF display is active - i.e. you don't need to use AF-ON or shutter half release (sorry, I was going from flawed memory out on the road).

Accurate? Well I suppose that depends on your camera's VF and focus selection calibration. If you want truly accurate then use live view as that'll show you what the sensor is seeing.

Armanius

You will see a green dot when in focus. There are also indicators either side if focused beyond or in front of the focal point. You also see this all the time that the VF display is active - i.e. you don't need to use AF-ON or shutter half release (sorry, I was going from flawed memory out on the road).

Accurate? Well I suppose that depends on your camera's VF and focus selection calibration. If you want truly accurate then use live view as that'll show you what the sensor is seeing.
Thanks Graham. I assume that this focus aid is only possible with the newer lenses with electronic contacts?

ryc

I wentto the store and played with it. Looks like a really nice camera and congrats to those who own it.