The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon mirrorless ?

Thorkil

Not boring at all Thorkil. The more reviews, the better.
This reviewer has not bothered to proofread.

I respect Ming Thein and Photographylife more than others.

Best.
I totally agree upon Ming and Nasim Mansurov, they are very serious, skilled and committed.
But each time I see other very positive word about the Z7, I'm in a state for now, where its just all sweet music :)
Best

mkerouac

If you can get thru this review, he says anyone is 1000% insane to buy this over a D850. Around the 15 minute mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r19prJVWOXA&t=54s
I think the D850 vs. Z7 debate will continue, but it's really not apples to apples. I have owned the D850 since week one. It is stellar. Does everything a Pro Camera should do. I have only owned the Z7 for a day. It is also stellar, so far does everything a mirrorless camera should do, but in different ways than a D850. I would guess that the Z has 90+% of the D850 features, but it is missing some features that pro's/prosumer's are used to. Not all focus modes are available, function button options are different. No full function grip, dual card slots, etc.. On the flip side the EVF, creates compelling advantages for the Z that the D850 can't match. In viewfinder WYSIWYG, Histogram and menu changes to name a few. So this really comes down to the user and what they need/prefer. It would be impossible for me to say that one or the other is a universal choice. Each user will have their own boxes to check.

I'm not comparing the Nikon Z to Sony AR7III here, it is D850 to Z7, DSLR to mirrorless.

I will also say that the early criticisms of the Z are very unfounded. Nikon did an admirable job with this camera. Great start.

Last edited:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
It had to happen .... today I had hands on with the Nikon Z7 and S lenses when it was officially introduced (presented) by Nikon in Vienna.

To make it short - I am overwhelmed! Where to start? I will not repeat any specs but what impressed me 8not necessarily in the right order):

1) EVF is out of another world - not sure how they do it, but even in dim light of the event (evening) it was smooth, crisp and clear - although "only" 60Hz. Totally different from what I can get with my EM1.2 and also the G9, liked it even more than the one of the Leica SL. Also for video!

2) Camera is very responsive and what you expect from Nikon - overall VERY comfortable to hold, even with big adapted glass like the 80-400 or 70-200/2.8

3) AF is blazing fast - especially also AF-C and face detection works like a breeze - also in video!

4) I love that kit zoom - 4/24-70

5) The rear display is also from another world - have not seen such a great and crisp display on any camera yet. And touch operation is intuitive and smooth.

6) Video AF is almost Hollywood Cinema like. Smooth but very accurate!

I could go on and on .. I am really impressed by what Nikon pulled out of the hat here! And I was not the biggest fan of Nikon during the last years as many of you may know ....

I am now in serious trouble as I am seriously thinking of replacing all my m43 gear (which I love) with a Z7 and a few lenses. It is very tempting to think I could go fully back to FF with an almost similarly light system as my Olympus m43 with PRO lenses.

Needs some more thought process I know and I will take my time but I don't see anything which I could not do similar as good or in most cases better with the Z7 compared to my m43 gear. Of course IQ is also from a different world - both in still images as well as video!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I'm not surprised. Although I haven't had the oportunity to try it out myself yet, after reading the previews so far and looking at the pictures and specs, it seems pretty clear that Nikon has hit a "golden spot" with these two cameras. In a body not much larger than my GX8, Nikon has managed to place a much larger sensor, a huge lens mount and a big battery. Still, ergonomics seem to be healthy and lenses seem to be more or less on par with what I can get for m4/3.

Your comments about the viewfinder etc. confirm my suspicions.

I do want to try the Panasonic before I make up my mind, and I'm in no hurry, but Nikon really shows what decades of experience and cooperation with professional photographers can lead to.

rayyan

Peter, if I didn’t know you, I would have said you were Nikon Marketing!:D

Glad you have found the Z7 having much to like.

I have put most of my Nikon n Fuji gear out for sale here.

No, not for the Z6/7, but to get rid of camera gear. And maybe fund a vacation or two. Wife has Bhutan n Greenland planned:shocked:

I prefer to stay mostly at sea-level nowadays. And warm climates.

I am in no hurry to buy any new cameras now, but am becoming interested in what I read about the Nikon Zsfrom folks like yourself.

Best.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Peter, if I didn’t know you, I would have said you were Nikon Marketing!:D

Glad you have found the Z7 having much to like.

I have put most of my Nikon n Fuji gear out for sale here.

No, not for the Z6/7, but to get rid of camera gear. And maybe fund a vacation or two. Wife has Bhutan n Greenland planned:shocked:

I prefer to stay mostly at sea-level nowadays. And warm climates.

I am in no hurry to buy any new cameras now, but am becoming interested in what I read about the Nikon Zsfrom folks like yourself.

Best.
Rayyan,

not in a hurry too. because that usually gets expensive :cool:. But I am really impressed from what I could see, touch and feel. And I think this is the most important factor - that when you touch a camera and lenses you also like to do so - this keeps you shooting.

I currently do not know if I should keep the Olympus and at least the 2 zooms (12-40 and 40-150) as they served me so well over the past years and I also really love touching, holding and shooting with them. But I might sell the 3/300 PRO as it does not get much use although it is an excellent lens. But I knew when I bought it that I am rather a zoom guy.

On the other hand I am also working to minimise my camera gear and I think I really could "survive" with the Z7 (what a word - survive with that beast of a camera) and some lenses - actually the 4/24-70 I really like. And it feels much better as most reviewers say, same as the other S lenses. I might get the 1.8/24 and the 4/15-30 and the 1.2/50 when they become available later next year and add a used F-mount 80-400 as my telephoto zoom. That would cover almost all my needs and still make a pretty small and lightweight solution. Not as light as Olympus m43 but also not much heavier.

Well there needs to be lot more thought process from my side but I know now pretty well where I want to be in say 1 or 2 years. I am also having an eye on the new Panasonic S1R and some L-mount lenses, but IMHO Nikon landed a winner especially with the new Z-mount, which gives more design freedom compared to the L-mount because of larger diameter and smaller flange distance. But the L-mount will offer more lenses because of the alliance between Leica, Panasonic and Sigma. But then - actually I do not need more choices than I can get from Nikon already (or soon).

As you see I am still floating, but I start to see some light at the end of the tunnel :ROTFL:

Photon42

It had to happen .... today I had hands on with the Nikon Z7 and S lenses when it was officially introduced (presented) by Nikon in Vienna.

To make it short - I am overwhelmed! Where to start? I will not repeat any specs but what impressed me 8not necessarily in the right order):

1) EVF is out of another world - not sure how they do it, but even in dim light of the event (evening) it was smooth, crisp and clear - although "only" 60Hz. Totally different from what I can get with my EM1.2 and also the G9, liked it even more than the one of the Leica SL. Also for video!

2) Camera is very responsive and what you expect from Nikon - overall VERY comfortable to hold, even with big adapted glass like the 80-400 or 70-200/2.8

3) AF is blazing fast - especially also AF-C and face detection works like a breeze - also in video!

4) I love that kit zoom - 4/24-70

5) The rear display is also from another world - have not seen such a great and crisp display on any camera yet. And touch operation is intuitive and smooth.

6) Video AF is almost Hollywood Cinema like. Smooth but very accurate!

I could go on and on .. I am really impressed by what Nikon pulled out of the hat here! And I was not the biggest fan of Nikon during the last years as many of you may know ....

I am now in serious trouble as I am seriously thinking of replacing all my m43 gear (which I love) with a Z7 and a few lenses. It is very tempting to think I could go fully back to FF with an almost similarly light system as my Olympus m43 with PRO lenses.

Needs some more thought process I know and I will take my time but I don't see anything which I could not do similar as good or in most cases better with the Z7 compared to my m43 gear. Of course IQ is also from a different world - both in still images as well as video!
Peter

I am not surprised. I ordered the Z7 right after it was announced. I just needed them to confirm they only built in one card slot for XQD cards, so I can try out something new :cool:. Two cards slots are far too complex to handle for my poor brain :bugeyes:
Somewhat I trusted Nikon they will create a camera which is close to their pedigree and operates like a camera should operate. I could try it out early September and this convinced me I did the right thing. Got an M mount adapter on order at Novoflex and am quite interested to see, how some M lenses will perform.
Just like you, I took a hard look in direction of my Olympus gear and decided I will part with at least half of the lenses (the more expensive ones). The Z7 will replace the EM-1 for me. I keep the Pen-F and some small lenses for now.
for me and my usage, the important features of the Z7 are IBIS, a fantastically clear, top of the line EVF and the large new lens mount. I do also have a staple of mostly older Nikkors, but also three AF-S lenses. The fact I can seamlessly continue to use them pushed it over for me. What's not to like? Well, my head bartender still did not get mine in.

Ivo

Photon42

It had to happen ....

The thing is here (the left one in the picture above ...:grin:). Z7/FTZ-Adapter/24-70. Massive box. Really. Compared to the size of the camera almost ridiculously large. Comes with a free XQD Card, which is a nice touch.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The thing is here (the left one in the picture above ...:grin:). Z7/FTZ-Adapter/24-70. Massive box. Really. Compared to the size of the camera almost ridiculously large. Comes with a free XQD Card, which is a nice touch.
Ivo, congratulations on the Z7 and lenses, you will enjoy very much!

Almost same size as the EM1 and this is really remarkable. Especially when holding the Z7 it is very comfortable too!

Photon42

Danke, Peter. I think the feel and physical dimensions of the Z7 are fantastic, especially given the technology inside.