The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon to FD adapter

Diane B

I'm interested in the new Lensbaby tilt transformer with m4/3rds mount that was announced today. It works with a Nikon mount lens (also Composer) but I have several FD lenses that would work. Any recommendations for a Nikon to FD adapter? I've looked on ebay and there are quite a few choices. I'm also going to look for some manual Nikon lenses-maybe a 35 and 50. Again, any suggestions?

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
I'm interested in the new Lensbaby tilt transformer with m4/3rds mount that was announced today. It works with a Nikon mount lens (also Composer) but I have several FD lenses that would work. Any recommendations for a Nikon to FD adapter? I've looked on ebay and there are quite a few choices. I'm also going to look for some manual Nikon lenses-maybe a 35 and 50. Again, any suggestions?
Hi Diane

I have the same problem as you, I only have one Nikon lens (the 55/3.5 micro).
I have the Italian tilt adapter and have a collection of M42 lenses that will work with it. But I like that ball and socket arrangement in the Lensbaby. Can't believe that they will restrict themselves to a Nikon mount.

Keith

Diane B

Keith, there is a thread in their forum where they explained about not being able to do Canon EF for instance. They didn't go into what other mounts they "may" add for use but for mounts to other cams they are adding NEX in October. Someone did ask why you could use Nikon lenses but not on her Nikon body. I haven't checked but I'm guessing they will explain why they can do this with mirrorless and not mirrored bodies--or I'm guessing that's why.

Since I've seen Nikon to FD adaptere I am thinking of adding that and using my FDs as starters. I just hate rebuying the Composer when I have one in 4/3rds mount but have to use with 4/3rds to m4/3rds adapter. Its only a $100 more to buy the tilt transformer with the Composer in m4/3rds mount and that would eliminate me carrying that adapter. I'm just assuming the Nikon/FD adapter will work, but can afford to try with cheap adapters. Justr so many to choose from but guess I'll justr choose one with good seller feedback and try. Interestingoy enough it appears you can use Nikon non-manuao lenses too with some little lever and a twist. Need to read more about that.

Diane B

Ah, here's a quote from Sam of LB on that thread that will give a bit more indo

"Unfortunately, at this time we can't make a Tilt Transformer for Nikon lenses to Nikon cameras. We can only make a Tilt Transformer for Nikon mount lenses to mirrorless cameras such as the Olympus and Panasonic Micro Four Thirds cameras or Sony NEX cameras. This is simply a matter of getting the proper spacing of the lens to the image sensor to allow focus to infinity even when the lens is tilted.

Picnic - sounds like a bit of a dilemma, but a nice one to have:) The one caveat about the Composer with Tilt Transformer is that it is not compatible with the Fisheye Optic. Getting the Tilt Transformer by itself might be the

Dright choice, but the good news is that it is quite compact."

That solved that for me as I like to use the FE. I'll use the extra $100 to buy the FD adapter and toward a Nikon prime maybe.

Here's a bit more that explains their choice of Nikon lenses

"To clarify about the products we are introducing now, the Tilt Transformer works on Sony NEX and Micro Four Thirds cameras and allows Nikon lenses to be mounted and tilted up to 12 degrees (a lot more than a traditional tilt shift which, in the case of the Canon 17mm is only 6.5 degrees). If you have a Micro Four Thirds camera and a Nikon lens, all you need now is the Tilt Transformer to make them work together in super fun ways.

We developed the Tilt Transformer to work with Nikon F mount lenses because:

1. the backfocus distance of Nikon lenses is the longest of all the (35mm) SLR systems, allowing the most amount of tilt in our Tilt Transformer
2. Nikon lenses are known for their high quality
3. there are tons of Nikon lenses available in the F-mount, many great quality used ones for very cheap
4. out-of-date mounts like Minolta MD, Canon FD or screw mount are no longer available new, thus making the appeal of using these lenses on our system limited to a smaller audience
5. Canon, the only manufacturer with a current lens system that has as many or more lenses in the world than Nikon, uses an electronic aperture system, eliminating any possibility of controlling the aperture with our system. Users would be limited to shooting wide open if we were to use a Canon mount. "

Last edited: