The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon Z AF fine tuning

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I decided to post this in case my experience could help someone else out. I've always thought that due to the way mirrorless cams focus, AF fine-tuning was rendered pretty much irrelevant -- and honestly didn't understand why it even remained a menu option. To be clear, none of my Z lenses and none of my original 3 or 4 F mount lenses needed to have any adjustment on any of the 3 different Z bodies I've owned -- but I was also confirming them in single, fine-point AF mode and not checking them in continuous AF mode, and perhaps therein lies the rub... With the Z72, I have wandered into more and more continuous eye-tracking AF territory and with my 200-500 lens, I discovered it would regularly back-focus -- only slightly, but at 500mm it doesn't take much to render soft instead of crisp, so I needed to fine tune the AF. I guess it makes some sense in that while static AF is easily confirmed by the on-sensor pixel contrast, predictive AF can vary with lens focus speed capability. To be clear, this is the only lens to date I've noticed any issues with and it did not require a large adjustment -- 1 or 2 points depending. Anyway, sharing simply FWIW...

As an aside, in case you haven't been inside that menu yet, I also discovered that for zooms the AF fine tune menu now lets you separately set each end of the zoom range -- and in the case of my 200-500 with the 1.4xiii converter, they did require a 1 point different amount. Nifty!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Release in AF-C, focus in AF-S. But I give it time to focus for at least the first frame when in AF-C.

Darin Marcus

Release in AF-C, focus in AF-S. But I give it time to focus for at least the first frame when in AF-C.
Ever since I switched to "Back Button Focus" (after getting the D810) and I am basically in AF-C at all times, I set my cameras to Focus in AF-C as well. Since I am shooting for me only, and there is no problem if I miss a shot, I prefer to not capture a photo at all than to capture an out of focus one. And a few times this year, while trying to get some BIFs with the Z6 and the 70-200mm S, the camera refused to take the shot, a sign the focus was not achieved (it was in low light).

Anyway, I was (theoretically) thinking about getting an OOF photo (due to the camera not keeping up with the tracked subject) vs. a back-focused one in AF-C :)

FWIW, the only F mount lenses I've used on my Z cameras are the AF-S Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8 G and the AF-P Nikkor 70-300mm E, and I had no problem with back/front focus on either of them.