The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon Z with Zeiss 28mm ZM F2.8

robdeszan

Hi all,

My Ricoh GRII has been playing up and I am now toying with an idea of throwing a compact 28mm lens on a Z7 for travel.

I previously used zeiss' ZF mount lenses with the FTZ adapter but it made the camera too bulky for the intended purpose.

The rendering (especially colour separation) from Nikon's latest 28mm SE lens have left me a bit underwhelmed so I have ruled it out. Similarly, Voigtlander's M mount lenses have somewhat muted colour rendering (asph correction?).

Does anyone use a Z camera with the 28mm ZM? Any gotchas? I am worried about excessive CA or smearing of corners, in particular. I am thinking of getting a close focus adapter with a helicoid to overcome the close focusing limitations of rangefinders if I decide to throw in a 50mm or 85mm in the future.

Thanks,

Pat

robdeszan

After reading countless reviews I gave up the idea of a compact rangefinder lens in the end due to softness and colour cast issues stemming from differences in sensor design.

Since my original I have purchased a sigma 28mm 1.4 art - really beautiful rendering but only use it for assignments, not a travel lens . The obvious choice for a small & light lens lens on a Z body is the native 28mm f2.8 Z lens. While not optically perfect, it is free of wide(r) angle RF lenses optical woes - probably nitpicking here as looking at countless samples it still seems to beat RF adapted lenses anyway, where you have to stop down to f5.6 to get rid of corner smearing, for instance.

The reason I am revisiting this thread is that I have just purchased the SE version at a rather low price of £219 (https://www.cliftoncameras.co.uk/nikon-nikkor-z-28mm-f28-se-lens) I thought I would give anyone considering getting one a heads up on the lowest price I have seen since its release in the UK.

Last edited:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I do not have the 2.8 / 28 Z lens, but I bought the 2 / 40 some 2 years ago and I am very happy with it. I am using it on my Z7II.

It is sharp, has great contrast and focuses fast. Almost no CA (at least I did not find any disturbance by it).

I assume that the 2.8 / 28 Z is of similar quality and I thin one cannot get wrong at that price point. I myself was thinking of buying it as walk around lens for my last vacation (LA) but then I opted for the 24-200 Z which I already own - and BTW also this lens is stellar in all respects.