The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon Z7 and 14-30 combo in 2022?

aksclix

How does the Z7 and the Z 14-30 combo fare for landscape work? IQ wise would you still recommend it over others? I am aware of some of the downsides like not having a dual card slot.. I don’t intend to shoot any fast action with this either.. if the AF is good enough to keep up with kids movements it’s sufficient.. Please share your thoughts..

Thorkil

The 14-30 is a very fine lens
But take a look in half an hour at this my list:
so if you plan to go wide, the DX- and FX edges are much sharper at the Z14-24/2.8S.
But Spencer Cox at Photographylife still, in his comparison between these two, would keep the 14-30 because of size and skill/size ability for his own use.
I just bought the 14-24, and its stellar, and my use is often mostly wide (unfortunately its in repair/change for a new, because of a very unusual malfunction of its display)
So go wide: you better go for the 14-24, where, with a sufficient interesting foreground with sharpness, it almost become 3-dimensional
(but I still keep the 14-30 though, huge skills in a small body)

aksclix

Thank you, Thorkil! Of course the 14-24 is the better choice.. I am keen on the 14-30 because of its size, price and easier way to use filters.

Thorkil

ok.. the sweet spot on the 14-30 seems to be 16mm at f5.6, but at f8 the decrease in sharpness at the edges are only -8% compared to f5.6.
At 16mm f11 the decrease in edge sharpness become more annoying at -21% compared to f5.6
So I guess 16mm f5.6-f8 is rather useful at the 14-30.. :)
If you havn't got the Z7 yet, you shall be looking forward to it(!), it's really nice, both simple to use and sufficient complex to fulfill your wishes I would guess, and with solid rawfiles

Last edited:

aksclix

Never shoot landscapes below f8 anyway.. already have a few other camera systems and I honestly don’t need this one but I was presented a good deal for this combo.. so thinking about it

Thorkil

Never shoot landscapes below f8 anyway.. already have a few other camera systems and I honestly don’t need this one but I was presented a good deal for this combo.. so thinking about it
yes, I just got 2 film-Hasselblad (don't use them, and certainly I do regret) a X1D (which I'm using too seldom, regret too), some Fuji Aps-C where I will end up with only a X-E3 and two lenses I think, then Nikon D700 og Df (which I don't use for the time being - I regret)....and then my beloved Z7.
If I should part with all, except 1 camera and one lens, it would be the Z7+the 14-24S left (well I ordered the 100-400S, which might be THE killerlens for deer etc.).
Cut to the bones, I like the idea of just 1 camera and 1 lens, but...
(I guess there will be others here, that can talk about the dynamic choise between the 850 and Z7, I can't)
(for speedy kids I would sign up for the Z9 :) )

Last edited:

aksclix

i have been a Nikon shooter for more than a decade but ever since I got into mirrorless I have had Sony and gfx.. now I have several systems.. I have a Sony a1 for all kinds of wildlife I want to shoot. I have a gfx 100s for all landscape, home studio and detail work I intend to print big, a Leica SL2 that I enjoy the most shooting with for pretty much everything. A canon R5 for the 28-70 and 100-500 because I just loved what those two unique lenses offered.. got an x1d with just the 45p.. a Leica S007 as a keepsake camera.. got an s1r Panasonic too just for the in camera focus stacking option.. 😂

I’ve been missing shooting with Nikon since I parted with my d810 3 years ago.. got a z50 but really wanted a FF instead

Thorkil

then you really, really don't need anything more, apart from cutting down :)
But if you got the same feeling I described here:
then you might need a Nikon once more.
I left Nikon for a short period, but realized, even though I felt the D3 just was so effective that it was almost boring, that, despite that, I haven't felt "secure" with any camera as much as I feel with my Nikon. That I realized several years ago. Therefore I will never part with it. It represent the outmost simplicity in my mind, in the most positive way, and I can't feel more "secure".
So if you have just a tiny sort of parallel feeling I would go for the Z7 (and get the "getting home"-feeling), and then reconsider all the gear a half or year hereafter...
(the Z7II might get a healthy firmware-update AF-wise soon, but for landscape and slow kids....guess you don't need the II version)

aksclix

True that… don’t certainly “need” more gear and half of what I have might get sold at some point.. some photogs buy two bodies of the same mount as backup but I have different bodies for different purposes..
a1 - only for birding and fast action.. don’t have wider lenses for this
Gfx 100s - for wall mural prints, landscape, portraits, home studio and anywhere I need absolute detail! Mostly got primes for this..
Leica SL2 - my all purpose setup (except for fast action 😂) 24-90,90-280 and 75.. will hold on to these lenses for life I guess
Canon R5 - only have this because I really just loved the 28-70 and 100-500.. plus it’s a backup for my bird and wildlife photography
S1r - for some video, macro and family selfies with the post focus option.. but for macro this is a really good camera to have.. got sigma 105 macro and pana 20-60 lenses

the Leica s007 and hassy x1d are just keep sake and the 007 gets used very very rarely..

Nikon has given me a lot of exceptional photos and I feel bad for not owning a Z FF camera.. I still have a D5300 converted to h-alpha IR and D600 converted to super color IR and a D90 that is just another keep sake camera which never gets any use

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
D850 dynamic range is said to be a lot better than the Z7’s.. is that validated by anyone here?
The SNR is exactly the same, so while the D850 has somewhat higher dynamic range at ISO 100 and lower, it also has more noise. In effect there's no difference other than a slight tweak to the gain curve. Everything else is the same. Form dxomark.com:

Screen Shot 2021-11-25 at 1.33.35 PM.png

Thorkil

True that… don’t certainly “need” more gear and half of what I have might get sold at some point.. some photogs buy two bodies of the same mount as backup but I have different bodies for different purposes..
a1 - only for birding and fast action.. don’t have wider lenses for this
Gfx 100s - for wall mural prints, landscape, portraits, home studio and anywhere I need absolute detail! Mostly got primes for this..
Leica SL2 - my all purpose setup (except for fast action 😂) 24-90,90-280 and 75.. will hold on to these lenses for life I guess
Canon R5 - only have this because I really just loved the 28-70 and 100-500.. plus it’s a backup for my bird and wildlife photography
S1r - for some video, macro and family selfies with the post focus option.. but for macro this is a really good camera to have.. got sigma 105 macro and pana 20-60 lenses

the Leica s007 and hassy x1d are just keep sake and the 007 gets used very very rarely..

Nikon has given me a lot of exceptional photos and I feel bad for not owning a Z FF camera.. I still have a D5300 converted to h-alpha IR and D600 converted to super color IR and a D90 that is just another keep sake camera which never gets any use
for until half an hour ago I thought that I had too much gear, now I'm suddenly totally relaxed about it 😂
And I was dreaming of the simplicity of just 1 camera and 1 lens:p
But I have also skipped the idea of BIF etc. decades ago, that has to wait till my second life...
And if you still, despite all these possibilities by hand, got the missing-my-Nikon-feeling, it might be worth it...then you definitely have to go for it, I would think(!)
And see if it changes anything in your cameraworld, it might, and if not, it was a fair try, I would think...and worth it

aksclix

@Thorkil - I have acquired all this gear post pandemic.. I just had a Sony a73, Nikon D4s and a gfx 50r prior to that.. i didn’t win a lottery or anything.. just thought I should try everything I want.. for a brief period of time I could afford to spend on what I wanted but that time is now gone.. I have great appreciation for the technological innovations in the world of photography.. z7 would replace my z50 and the 14-30 would be traded for some old gear.. that should end my GAS..

aksclix

The SNR is exactly the same, so while the D850 has somewhat higher dynamic range at ISO 100 and lower, it also has more noise. In effect there's no difference other than a slight tweak to the gain curve. Everything else is the same. Form dxomark.com:

View attachment 189655
Thanks.. I was just skeptical because this was their first attempt at mirrorless and reasonably old

Thorkil

@Thorkil - I have acquired all this gear post pandemic.. I just had a Sony a73, Nikon D4s and a gfx 50r prior to that.. i didn’t win a lottery or anything.. just thought I should try everything I want.. for a brief period of time I could afford to spend on what I wanted but that time is now gone.. I have great appreciation for the technological innovations in the world of photography.. z7 would replace my z50 and the 14-30 would be traded for some old gear.. that should end my GAS..
yes, I see, and it's about the same here, while I'm retired, the two "last investments" planned/wished was the 14-24S and the upcoming 100-400S. And that might be that. And a slimlining of my equipment might give me possibility to reach out for the Z8 when it comes. But do I need it? I guess not. But Af in twilight isn't that good at the Z7, but its not a serious problem, but it could be more comforting to nail focus quick even in twilight and even at things with no obvious contrastedges, but it's in the luxury category for me...

Darin Marcus

oh.. that’s right.. it wasn’t a serious camera anyway.. so I completely forgot about it! I meant a more serious mirrorless camera attempt.. which was the z6/z7..
Yes, let’s forget about the first mirrorless camera from anyone with on-sensor PD AF. I‘ll stop now.