The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon Z7 II and banding problem

Alkibiades

Hi,
I would like to know if the new Z7 II has the same banding problem as the older Z7.
The reviews of the new Z7 II are about all the non interesting issues but no words about the most important thing for me:
is there still the banding problem in the new camera or could nikon fix it?
Did somebody tested it?
thanks for infos in advance!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hmmm... I shoot a Z7, two of them in fact, and have had ZERO banding issues even at very high ISO. The only banding issues I ever saw were from IR-converted Z7's, so could you be more specific and point to a specific example of what your concern is?

Thorkil

Hi, I don’t recall having had any banding problems what so ever on my Z7, which I bought shortly after introduction.

It was a problem mentioned around the introduction of the Z7, but I have not heard anything of this since.

My guess would be, that there ought to be no problems with banding.
Thorkil

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Never had any banding issue with my Z7 as well!

My recommendation - do not listen to all the reviewers and you tubers who are talking about things they make up to get more clicks - and just enjoy your gear.

pegelli

There was some early internet hype about Z7 banding in the noise pattern when lifting shadows by 6 stops 😲 (who needs that anyway?)

Then some others tested the Z6, some Sony's and Canon's under the same circumstances and they all showed a similar result and on the scale from worst to best the Z7 was somewhere in the middle (and the actual differences between the cameras wasn't that big to begin with).

So if you expose properly and handle your files normallythere's no issue I think, and it's more a case of "people suffer most from the suffering they fear"

SrMphoto

The Z 7 banding issue is real. It is too early to tell, but I assume that it is still there in the Z 7 II. However, the banding can appear only in certain rare situations. That explains that no other owners here on the forum, including me, had seen it in practice.

Here is some banding analysis by Jim Kasson:

Banding not detectable: https://blog.kasson.com/nikon-z6-7/nikon-z7-banding/
Banding detectable: https://blog.kasson.com/nikon-z6-7/nikon-z7-banding-constancy/
Banding FAQ: https://blog.kasson.com/nikon-z6-7/nikon-z7-pdaf-banding-faqs/

Note that Jim's preferred FF camera is Z 7.

Alkibiades

I know that the banding problem of the Z7 will not be a big issue at standart use , but sometimes I need to lighten the middle shadows much.
this is not a problem with sony but I would like to get the great image quality of the D850 ( without any banding) in a small body, So it is my hope to get this with the version II.
Therefore I wait for some test of the new Version.

SrMphoto

I know that the banding problem of the Z7 will not be a big issue at standart use , but sometimes I need to lighten the middle shadows much.
this is not a problem with sony but I would like to get the great image quality of the D850 ( without any banding) in a small body, So it is my hope to get this with the version II.
Therefore I wait for some test of the new Version.
Here you see shadows being pushed a lot without any visible banding:
https://blog.kasson.com/nikon-z6-7/nikon-z7-banding/

I am pushing shadows regularly a lot, and have not seen any banding yet.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The ordinary image quality comparison is up at dpreview, and it's very impressive. So impressive that I'll claim that it's the best of the bunch at very low and very high ISO, and easilly competitive in the middle. Exposure lattitude test isn't up yet, but there's reason to be optimistic.

tcdeveau

Sounds like the GFX100 all over again, much to much hype of 5 stops of push.

At least to for me.
Paul
You forget "and +100 shadows" :)

I filed this under "non-issue" long ago personally. I also generally find I enjoy using my equipment more when I ignore practically insignificant issues the internet finds and runs with, but to each their own.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
There seems to be a whole bunch of Nikon mirrorless bashing in the other places on the net that seems to come primarily from Sony or Canon users that have made the switch from Nikon because of issue X, Y or Z... My take is they simply need to continue to find reasons to justify their decision, possibly because the initial X, Y or Z got fixed and so now they need to find something new to complain about to justify their decision. Weak egos that have to be right perhaps?

tcdeveau

There seems to be a whole bunch of Nikon mirrorless bashing in the other places on the net that seems to come primarily from Sony or Canon users that have made the switch from Nikon because of issue X, Y or Z... My take is they simply need to continue to find reasons to justify their decision, possibly because the initial X, Y or Z got fixed and so now they need to find something new to complain about to justify their decision. Weak egos that have to be right perhaps?
Yeah in general I don't get the brand bashing but finding justification for spending $$ on what they did is certainly part of it. Pick a system and go with it. If brand X doesn't work out for you, go with brand y or z.

Then there's the issue of ppl spreading FUD just to generate clicks and ad revenue....

I've been through a lot of different systems looking for my goldilocks setup for various needs over the last few years, and I think P1, Canon, and Olympus are the only major brands I haven't owned at this point. No system is perfect and they've all got their bugaboos.....but all of todays cameras are all worlds better than the D300 and kits lens I started digital with over 10 years ago now (and even that wasn't a bad camera by any means).

pegelli

I don't think this is a Nikon exclusive Jack, any brand gets bashed by insecure other brand users. Just look at what you can read on that other famous "review" forum. It became so tiring that I just don't visit it anymore, there's a few sensible people posting there but sifting through all the troll chaff is not worth it for me.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I don't think this is a Nikon exclusive Jack, any brand gets bashed by insecure other brand users. Just look at what you can read on that other famous "review" forum. It became so tiring that I just don't visit it anymore, there's a few sensible people posting there but sifting through all the troll chaff is not worth it for me.
Good point -- I do not visit that site and haven't for several years just because of that. I guess I notice more of it being anti-Nikon because Nikon-specific are the only forums or user-groups I visit on other sites...

Shashin

I shot with my lens cap on and then buried my [insert brand here] camera in soft peat for a month. The [insert brand here] camera is totally useless...

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Brand bashing has always existed, and Nikon, being a rather conservative company, seems to be an easier target than most others. It's all about new features that you didn't know you needed and impressive spec sheets. Things are made worse by the fact that fewer people actually try cameras before they buy these day. Buying decisions are made on the basis of spec sheets, paid internet priests and marketing. Most of those who bash Nikon, have probably not even touched the Nikon camera they criticise.

Unfortunately also, Nikon doesn't seem to have a workable marketing and PR department. They don't seem to understand how the world has tilted towards electronic media, and how buying decisions are made based on perceived needs rather than actual, usable product qualities. Making the best cameras isn't enough any longer.

Last edited:

robdeszan

I've shot a lot with the Z7 & I have experienced zero issues.

I find the sensor and colour science behind it, coupled with the new Z lenses incredible really. Brand bashing is for insecure individuals or gearheads who never move beyond tests in their oeuvre. Anyone who is unable to get excellent results with that level of technology needs to re-evaluate their skills or profession...

Last edited: