The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon Z8/Z9 rumor

pegelli

Thom Hogan has written a very interesting article about the next Nikon steps. Discuss :).

For Those With Sony Paranoia
Indeed a very sensible article, there was a lot of copy-cat in the Z6/Z7 spec wise but the body shape/menu was more geared towards (ex) Nikon users and made a lot of people happy.
Again trying to copy the A9ii/Ai doesn't make a lot of sense, the market for these very high end (and expensive) cameras is very small so if Nikon now develops it's own variant of a high end camera with different attributes from the Sony it will be able to appeal to a different market segment and increase the choices for the users. Exciting times.

tcdeveau

Indeed a very sensible article, there was a lot of copy-cat in the Z6/Z7 spec wise but the body shape/menu was more geared towards (ex) Nikon users and made a lot of people happy.
Again trying to copy the A9ii/Ai doesn't make a lot of sense, the market for these very high end (and expensive) cameras is very small so if Nikon now develops it's own variant of a high end camera with different attributes from the Sony it will be able to appeal to a different market segment and increase the choices for the users. Exciting times.
I don't know what makes sense for any manufacturer anymore given the current state of the world and camera industry, but if the Z9 was an A1 in Nikon clothing, I'd be happy. That's pretty much what I want out of a Z9.

The only different attributes I need/want from a Z9 over the A1 is for it to take Z lenses, have the Nikon body (I prefer the ergonomics compared to the sony alpha series), and the Nikon menu system. For me, a Nikon-branded A1 would allow me to do what I'm currently using both the Z6 and HB X1D for, and would cure the issues I have with the Z6 (AF and low resolution comparatively). AF has improved significantly on the Z6 with firmware updates, but A9-like or "better than D6" like AF is what I'd like to see Nikon put in a mirrorless camera. Yes, $6500 or so is expensive, but I can fairly easily justify it when I think that I can carry $6500 one camera instead of two cameras at $2000-3000+ each.

Sure if it did some things different than the A1 it may help set Nikon apart and improve some sales, but I think we're getting to a point where Nikon/Canon/Sony more or less all do the same things, and people are choosing them based on other intangibles outside of the spec sheet. Canon sold a boat load of R6/R5's, but I'm not sure either body really did anything different than their Nikon or Canon counterparts at the end of the day when it comes down to real world use....at least that's how I saw it for my needs. The only reason I'm currently shooting with the Z is personal preference (I actually like the attributes of the Canon RF lens lineup better). Everything comes with a cost, and I worry trying to put distinguishing aspects in a model to set it apart from the A1 would take away from other features that make the A1 attractive in the first place, and lead to the addition of gimmicks that only a few people need. Nevertheless, we'll see what happens. More options out there than ever for mirrorless which is exciting.

Exciting times though indeed....lots of fun announcements this week with the A1, GFX100S, GF 80mm 1.7, and Leica 50mm 1.2. Curious to see what else 2021 has in store (looking at you Nikon and Hasselblad ;)).

tcdeveau

No need for a backup camera?
In general, no, not really. I'm not a professional, and my uses for a hypothetical Z9 would be for family and landscape (when I'm on trips with my family and not with my family). If the one camera fails, so be it, although the worst equipment failures to date have been a result of user error (i.e. drop on the ground). Might actually make my wife happy some of the time since it would force me to put the camera down during family time haha. I plan on keeping the Z6, so if I was in a situation where I needed/wanted a backup, I could still bring it but the iphone is backup enough for family uses.

It also means there are circumstances where I could bring two cameras instead of three.....sometimes with family, in addition to the Z system I'll bring the M10M, my wife's Fuji X-A7, D810, Fuji Instax, 35mm film, etc....or will bring the tech cam (whenever I get around to getting a back for it again) for fun when I'm not using the Z. Not backups persay but I'm never really without a camera when I want it. Yes, I have a problem, but a camera like the Z9 would allow for streamlining and simplicity of kit for me personally.

pegelli

The only different attributes I need/want from a Z9 over the A1 is for it to take Z lenses, have the Nikon body (I prefer the ergonomics compared to the sony alpha series), and the Nikon menu system. For me, a Nikon-branded A1 would allow me to do what I'm currently using both the Z6 and HB X1D for, and would cure the issues I have with the Z6 (AF and low resolution comparatively).
From a user perspective I can certainly see why that would be a great option to have. We'll see how it further develops. I think there are no bad cameras out there anymore and certainly not the "top of the lines", just ones we like more than others :cool: