The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon Z8/Z9 rumor

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I know they've been around for a bit, but it seems there is some narrowing in the direction they will take, and it looks like it could be a very high frame capture rate Z8, 20 frames per second at an unknown resolution; and a 60MP Z9, both with improved EVF's and of course faster internal processors.

I am already a buyer of a 60MP Z9. I *might* also be a buyer of the Z8 depending on final specs and low light capabilities, and of course cost.

I also patiently await the 200-600 Z zoom and both pancake lenses...

Hurry up Nikon!

tcdeveau

Bringing this thread back to life....

Sony announced their flagship A1 camera today:

Specs seem to be in line with what we might expect from a Z9 based on rumors. 30 FPS electronic/10 FPS mechanical shutter and 50mp may be the perfect swiss army camera for where I'm at in life right now. Fast enough for my very fast toddler, enough MP for landscape prints. 15 stop DR and 9.44m dot EVF.

Come on Nikon come on....

D&A

Jorgen, here in the States, the price of almost all the Nikon professional D1 series of cameras from the original D1 (introduced in 1999) through I believe the D3 or D4 was precisely $4995. The price never fluctuated throughout those years of production. Subsequent models slowly crept up to $5500 and eventually topped $6000 but it took over 20 years to reach that price level. I recall when I scrimped and saved for that original D1 that it broke my heart many years later, when I saw a pristine one in a shop for only $100.00 . I realized then (as everyone else figured out) that digital cameras were probably one of the worst investments (money wise) anyone could make.

Dave (D&A)

jduncan

Only $6500...
It seems that It can do both the work of a professional sports camera. (like the patethic D6 or the Canon 1D X) and a high resolution high dynamic monster like the D850, being a mirrorless camera on paper is also a formidable movie machine capable of running with the best of Canon. If it does not have fatal flaw is set to be legendary.
The Card configuration is pretty creative too and one can write video to both cards at the same time (backup).

Taking that into account and the fact that is state of the art it don't seem that expensive.

I hope Nikon either introduces a competitive camera or at least decides to compete on price, but it's getting harder as the other brands push forward and Nikon continues to use the same old technology. Consumer electronics is a capital intensive endeavor.

Best regards

iiiNelson

Jorgen, here in the States, the price of almost all the Nikon professional D1 series of cameras from the original D1 (introduced in 1999) through I believe the D3 or D4 was precisely $4995. The price never fluctuated throughout those years of production. Subsequent models slowly crept up to $5500 and eventually topped $6000 but it took over 20 years to reach that price level. I recall when I scrimped and saved for that original D1 that it broke my heart many years later, when I saw a pristine one in a shop for only $100.00 . I realized then (as everyone else figured out) that digital cameras were probably one of the worst investments (money wise) anyone could make.

Dave (D&A)
Pretty sure the D3x was introduced at $8k back in like 2008 or so. I remember this because I remember preordering my M9 thinking that this may be a rare time that a new Leica was less expensive than a Nikon.

Reactions: D&A

iiiNelson

Agreed. I saw the specs for that chip and said to myself, that's the Z9 base right there.

And yes, I will be an early adopter! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I seriously doubt Sony is selling these sensors to anyone yet. Maybe they’d sell the 61 megapixel A7RIV sensor... and maybe they sell the A7IV sensor... but they probably won’t sell their flagship pro sensors anytime soon... if ever

D&A

Pretty sure the D3x was introduced at $8k back in like 2008 or so. I remember this because I remember preordering my M9 thinking that this may be a rare time that a new Leica was less expensive than a Nikon.
I believe the $8000 price for the D3x was the Nikon suggested retail price but Nikon USA dealers selling price for that camera was $6000 when introduced...the first D series pro camera that deviated from the $5000 price. The D3H though was kept at $5000. The D4 I believed was priced at $6000

When all it taken into consideration, the price mentioned for the Z9 seems very competitive.

Dave (D&A)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I seriously doubt Sony is selling these sensors to anyone yet. Maybe they’d sell the 61 megapixel A7RIV sensor... and maybe they sell the A7IV sensor... but they probably won’t sell their flagship pro sensors anytime soon... if ever
Nikon might have a sensor made exclusively for them. That has happened before on sevral occasions.

Darin Marcus

I bought my, then mint with 12,000 clicks, D2Xs in 2010 or 11 for around $1,000. How fast the price goes down depends on what is launched after it. But I can wait. I have several cameras.
I am not so sure this will happen again. 2010-2011 was peak digital cameras, and almost everybody was loading up on new DSLRs :)

But if Nikon closes shop, there will definitely be a lot of bargains on the used market.

In any case, a Z8/9 is not something that would interest me. I’ll be looking at a Z6 IV in 4-6 years and decide if it is significantly better that the Mk I for me.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thom Hogan has written a very interesting article about the next Nikon steps. Discuss :).

For Those With Sony Paranoia
I agree with Thom Hogan here. While the A1 is a brilliant technical achievement, it's not the camera I would expect Nikon to develop. I expect (at least hope) to see the mirrorless equivalent of a D850+, plus a D880 that can do more or less all the same, but with an optical viewfinder and all the other DSLR advatages. I think the new Fuji is a much more serious contender to whatever Nikon is brewing. Most photographers have much more need for 100MP than the 30fps lossy RAW that Sony offers (lossless RAW is only available at 20fps, and those are on-paper specs).

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
My primary imaging needs are already more than adequately handled by the Z7. And make no mistake, I *LOVE* Nikon's EVF! If I got back into serious bird and wildlife imaging, I'd probably want better AF (okay, I'd want the best AF :LOL:) and faster framerates. But that's a game where the glass drives the image, and I'd be buying at least one big expensive lens and probably two, so wouldn't be opposed to buying dedicated bodies for them like the D5 or D500 or maybe even both... However, if the next Z body does great AF and has 10-15 FPS or more, then that's the route I'd go -- and in a nanosecond.

pegelli

Thom Hogan has written a very interesting article about the next Nikon steps. Discuss :).

For Those With Sony Paranoia
Indeed a very sensible article, there was a lot of copy-cat in the Z6/Z7 spec wise but the body shape/menu was more geared towards (ex) Nikon users and made a lot of people happy.
Again trying to copy the A9ii/Ai doesn't make a lot of sense, the market for these very high end (and expensive) cameras is very small so if Nikon now develops it's own variant of a high end camera with different attributes from the Sony it will be able to appeal to a different market segment and increase the choices for the users. Exciting times.