The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Official Alpa X shutter prices

vieri

Slightly cheaper than what Cambo asked, then - if I recall correctly. Best regards,

Vieri

dchew

When I received that email, I thought it was interesting the 138f is not on the list.

Dave

algrove

The 180 looks good, but I still prefer my 150sb and 210sb. Frankly the APO 90au (aperture unit) is of one of my favorites due to its very light weight and small size and great IQ.

Christopher

I still think it’s really expensive and makes only sense if you need the shutter. It will be pretty much useless weight once a GS comes along.

Also true, if you need a shutter now, there is no better option.

algrove

I must say I have NEVER used the Copal 0 shutters in my 4 lenses that have that configuration. This that is why I bought the 90 au which fits an Alpa/Phase shooter perfectly. ES is all I ever use.

vjbelle

The Alpa solution will still require a cable connection. AFAIK the only non-cable is a new X shutter lens from Phase. Outrageous pricing....
Maybe the 138F will never be available for the X. To modify the 138 'just' for the X may not be practical from a manufacturing point of view considering there will be other shutter solutions in the not so distant future.

Victor B.

Mexecutioner

The Alpa solution will still require a cable connection. AFAIK the only non-cable is a new X shutter lens from Phase. Outrageous pricing....
Maybe the 138F will never be available for the X. To modify the 138 'just' for the X may not be practical from a manufacturing point of view considering there will be other shutter solutions in the not so distant future.

Victor B.
At the current exchange rate the Alpa offerings are more expensive than their Phase One counterpart and you still need a cable if you want to talk about outrageous.

vieri

At the current exchange rate the Alpa offerings are more expensive than their Phase One counterpart and you still need a cable if you want to talk about outrageous.
Indeed. If one had to choose on price alone, Phase own XT + lenses are way more affordable than any Alpa camera + same lenses in X Shutter; a Cambo kit + X Shutter would be slightly less expensive than a Phase kit (but could not be, depending on which camera you choose). And, as you said, you'll still need a cable and - let me add - you won't get all the metadata integration for shift. I'd rather go the AU way than X Shutter on a non-XT camera, unless you really need a mechanical shutter, that is.

Best regards,

Vieri

doccdiamond

Biggest drawback beside the crazy pricing for an an X-shutter replacement for Alpa lenses is that there is no solution to run it with non-IQ4 back´s. Phase is not prepared to share the protocol with e.g. Alpa to modify their Silex-Shutter-Control unit to make it available for all existing backs.

As I do not expect new large sensor backs from Hasselblad anymore this market is now clearly dominated by P1 as a quasi monopolist which is never in favor of the customer.

Last edited:

vjbelle

For sure the X shutter is a marriage to Phase. From my business point of view a very poor investment considering that there are so many other alternatives. My initial guess is that the moment its purchased it loses at least 50% of its value.

YMMV...

Victor B.

tcdeveau

I still think it’s really expensive and makes only sense if you need the shutter. It will be pretty much useless weight once a GS comes along.

Also true, if you need a shutter now, there is no better option.
Sony made the news among the camera sites in March for unveiling a 127-128mp 33x44mm sensor with global shutter for industrial purposes. I imagine it’s just a matter of time before we see the tech in a consumer variant.....

Reactions: med

vjbelle

That Sony Sensor is actually 46.2 X 32.9 with a pixel pitch of 3.45 microns. A slightly odd size but welcome. I suspect that the image circle of most MF lenses could accommodate the long side. More exciting times.....

Victor B.

algrove

Agree with Vieri
" I'd rather go the AU way than X Shutter on a non-XT camera, unless you really need a mechanical shutter, that is."

Sure love my APO 90au as it is the smallest lens I own and it is tack sharp.

P.S. Stay tuned for a FS kit due to my impossible and failing eyesight.

Last edited: