The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Official pic of the new FE lenses

jfirneno

HERE (scroll down)

So who's getting what?

:watch:
I guess the 28mm will be the first thing I'm interested in. But I'm gonna wait for a few reviews first. Then I'll probably rent it and see if it adds anything special. If not then the 16-35 will probably be the next thing I get. Seems like it's got the right stuff. It's a shame the Loxias aren't more available for people to evaluate. I liked the 50mm f2 but the 55mm f1.8 is just so darn good it's hard to justify the duplication. But I could see it being just right for old school manual focus afficionados.

Regards,
John

For more convenient viewing, here's the image from Sony -

Left to right - 24-240mm F3.5-6.3, 90mm F2.8 Macro, 35mm F1.4, 28mm F2, and the two converters (fisheye and ultra-wide)

Last edited:

turtle

the 90mm and 35mm look fairly gigantic and one hopes that is because they will be great on 50 MP....

The 28mm interests me too, but I am doubtful that with a 21mm converter on it that its going to convince on the A7R. We will see.

I'm still waiting for the optically stonking, small and slow lenses they seem to be forgetting to make and which would sell like hot cakes....

iiiNelson

The 35 Distagon, 90 Macro, and 28 are a possibility for me... I have the Sigma 35 Art and it's great but if the 35 Distagon is as good or better then I may swap them out my bag so that I can have a great 35 without using an adapter.

Cyberratchet

Left to right - 24-240mm F3.5-6.3, 90mm F2.8 Macro, 35mm F1.4, 28mm F2, and the two converter (ultra-wide and fisheye)
Thanks for the info!
The left converter is the fish eye and the right one is the UWA btw. It’s hard to see, but the right one has clearly 3 words written on it and I’m almost certain that I can read the text on them.

4season

Macro: I really really want a longish macro lens. 90/2.8 ought to be a fine general-purpose optic as well. Would expect it's MTF performance to be tops too.

dandrewk

I'll wait for the official specs, but I'd be most interested in the macro lens. My current setup for macro - Nikon 105mm + Novaflex - is heavy and a bit unwieldy on the A7II. Since this is my last remaining Nikkor lens, I could sell it and the adapter to help pay for the Sony version.

jonoslack

I'm going to be a pleb and go for the 24-240 zoom - sounds like good fun to me :)
(I hope Vivek isn't reading this:eek:

iiiNelson

I'm going to be a pleb and go for the 24-240 zoom - sounds like good fun to me :)
(I hope Vivek isn't reading this:eek:
Don't be ashamed... I've actually have gone back and forth on the prospect of the 24-240 as a travel lens. If it's good I'd add one for travel and daylight.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
The 35 1.4 is peaking my interest and the 28 but not sure the 28 is going to be stellar good on the higher mix models. Just don't have that feeling in it. I wanna be wrong here but most times when it comes to gear I'm not.

dandrewk

I'll have to wait/see on the 24-240. That's an all encompassing focal range, but it's still a very large lens, with a typical slow/slower variable aperture. Most of my "walk around" shots are easily handled with the FE24-70, and I can always crop if I need a bit more reach (with potential penalty). But if I need to carry around the FE70-200, the setup becomes a bit more heavy and complex.

This is one lens I'll wait for user experiences and tests.

iiiNelson

The 35 1.4 is peaking my interest and the 28 but not sure the 28 is going to be stellar good on the higher mix models. Just don't have that feeling in it. I wanna be wrong here but most times when it comes to gear I'm not.
Exactly... At this point I've reorganized all of my lens choices and purchases are contingent on being about to give great results with the higher resolution bodies. I'd love it if the 28/2 and 21 converter were optically stunning... It could save me from purchasing the 16-35 maybe.

My current mainstays are the Sigma 35/1.4 Art, The 55/1.8 FE, the Zeiss C/Y 100/2, and the 135/1.8 ZA, and the Zeiss C/Y 180/2.8 (until I find a much better long option.) Everything else is still TBD in my bag. I still have some lens purging to do though.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
The 16-35 solved a lot of lens issues. I'm very comfortable to about 28mm. After that it's the 35 and I loved the Sigma Art but now with a heavy 50Mitikon I'm leaning at the over priced Loxia 35. Not sure what to do here on 35mm. Everything else is perfect for me

I have this insane notion that they are basing the 28mm on the Minolta AF 28/2 - a lens I love. It may not end up being a resolution king but if it has the Minolta character, I'll be more than pleased.