The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

OMD vs NEX7 - resolution - discuss

jonoslack

Hi there
This is a contentious title. I'm not sure whether to post it here or in the Sony Forum (or, indeed, in both).
I usually don't posts comparison threads - but this is a burning question to me. There are, of course, lots of other issues (ergonomics, ISO, fun-ness, weather-sealing etc. etc.).

dPreview have very neatly dealt with the ISO question you can check it out here

Weathersealing is obvious (OMD is, Nikon Isn't)

Ergonomics is really a matter of taste.

Reslolution is a point at which the NEX should be a clear winner. I just wanted to get a handle on how much better it was.

So - let's make it a little fun (although you'll only need to think for two ticks to see which is which).

I'm presenting three pairs of shots - screenshots from the Lightroom XY bit. The first shot is the whole image (I've topped and bottomed the OMD images to 3x2 to make you think a little harder) - with a 100% crop underneath.

All were shot at base ISO, f4.
the Sony were shot with the Sony 50 f1.8, the OMD with the Zuiko 45 f1.8. The hedge shots were handheld, the bike shots on a tripod. One of the bike shots was taken at the same distance (which gives roughly the same magnification at 100%) the other (of the whole bike) the tripod was moved to get the whole bike in to the frame lengthways.

I'm not really sure what to say . . . . . . so I won't say anything!

jonoslack

N.B. - if anyone else has both cameras - please do chip in.
. . . . and if you're thinking of criticising my methods - I can already see 100 holes in them, but do go ahead!

dhazeghi

N.B. - if anyone else has both cameras - please do chip in.
. . . . and if you're thinking of criticising my methods - I can already see 100 holes in them, but do go ahead!
It's a topic I'm interested in, so thanks for posting!

That said, I would be much more interested in comparing the amount of detail with equivalent framing, as that's how I would normally shoot.

DH

Hosermage

hrm... here's my guess, based on the 75 vs 90 FOV, and comments:

1. NEX vs OMD, and I like the colors from right better, the left seems a bit more yellow.

2. OMD vs NEX, can't really tell the difference, except for slight exposure differences.

3. OMD vs NEX? harder to tell since the camera was moved, but based on how OMD tends to underexpose vs NEX (assuming my previous guesses were right). I do feel OMD is sharper though, looking at the rusty parts.

Anyway, I think both are great, and I'd be happy with either, or both :D

I would add to the list of the decision making issues the availability of native lenses, and having said that, without trying to detect who is who, I have a very slight preference for the shots on the left column.

shadzee

Hard to tell. The magical 24MP of the Sony does NOT stand out !!!
It seems one set has a bit wider DOF, and to me that gives it away. IMO, the only advantage of Sony is the possibility of smaller DOF. Everything else is a matter of taste and lens options.

I went with E-M5. The ergonomics is kind of strange. I think the tilt screen was an after thought, and does not work well with everything else in the back (physically, or ergonomically). Then again, the E-M5/Oly45 combo produce excellent images... ergonomics aside.

JMaher

The left side looks sharper and has a little more contrast or is it that the added contrast makes it look sharper?

They are very close and as stated this represents only one of the criteria for selecting a camera.

Great thread!

Jim

jonoslack

well, it wasn't really meant to be a test - just to get us all thinking

David

hrm... here's my guess, based on the 75 vs 90 FOV, and comments:

1. NEX vs OMD, and I like the colors from right better, the left seems a bit more yellow.

2. OMD vs NEX, can't really tell the difference, except for slight exposure differences.

3. OMD vs NEX? harder to tell since the camera was moved, but based on how OMD tends to underexpose vs NEX (assuming my previous guesses were right). I do feel OMD is sharper though, looking at the rusty parts.

Anyway, I think both are great, and I'd be happy with either, or both :D
Congratulations, you're quite correct.

all the best

Knorp

It's late Bart and I'm (as usual) rather stupid . . why is that a bummer? and why are you hitting yourself in the face?
Because it probably means you're not going to sell your OMD (with the free grip :bugeyes:) any time soon ... to me :eek:

Terry

Jono - I've spent the afternoon thinking about this topic. Uggggh. I don't have exact side by sides to post. But one system needs to find a new home and I haven't quite figured it out yet. :facesmack:

I'm about to download a few hundred images from this weekend and will have a look at them. Problem is I kept picking up the Fuji - probably to help me justify deferring a decision. :banghead:

Godfrey

I was at the camera shop today.

- Played with the Fuji X-Pro1. Didn't like it much.

- Played with the Olympus E-M5. Nice, tight little package. Seemed a bit cramped on control space.

- Played with the NEX 7. Nice with the Zeiss lens.

I left with a pack of 10 rolls of Ilford XP2 Super for the Nikon F and Leica M4-2.

At home, I picked up the GXR and the M9. I still like how they feel better than all three of the cameras at the store. It's so nice to be content with what you have.

jonoslack

Jono - I've spent the afternoon thinking about this topic. Uggggh. I don't have exact side by sides to post. But one system needs to find a new home and I haven't quite figured it out yet. :facesmack:

I'm about to download a few hundred images from this weekend and will have a look at them. Problem is I kept picking up the Fuji - probably to help me justify deferring a decision. :banghead:
Hi Terry
Well, perhaps Todd hit the nail on the head. maybe the image quality on the NEX is better .. . . but it isn't very obvious. In which case the other factors become more significant . . . ergonomics/weather sealing/lenses/AF speed etc. etc.

Personally . . increasingly . . I'm finding that the much derided 12-50 is the distinguishing factor. but that's a different story!

On the other hand . . . if 35mm was my bag, then the Sony/Zeiss 24 might be the telling factor?

jonoslack

I was at the camera shop today.

- Played with the Fuji X-Pro1. Didn't like it much.

- Played with the Olympus E-M5. Nice, tight little package. Seemed a bit cramped on control space.

- Played with the NEX 7. Nice with the Zeiss lens.

I left with a pack of 10 rolls of Ilford XP2 Super for the Nikon F and Leica M4-2.

At home, I picked up the GXR and the M9. I still like how they feel better than all three of the cameras at the store. It's so nice to be content with what you have.
I was almost going to press the like button . . . . and then I thought of myself and realised that your post sounds like:

Famous Last Words

:salute::ROTFL:

Terry

Hi Terry
Well, perhaps Todd hit the nail on the head. maybe the image quality on the NEX is better .. . . but it isn't very obvious. In which case the other factors become more significant . . . ergonomics/weather sealing/lenses/AF speed etc. etc.
That WAS the EXACTLY the lunch time discussion.

But do I need to go find the thread where you swore off anything smaller than APS-c??? :LOL: