The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Oops ...

Godfrey

It's been a while since I processed my 35mm film in anything but an Agfa Rondix 35 tank. But yesterday on a wild hare I decided to process the test roll of Ferrania P33 in my Lab Box. Last four or five times I used the Lab Box, I ran 120 film through it, so I had to switch the film modules and reels to 35mm. Everything seemed to go well in loading and processing ... But when I opened it up to look at the negatives, the film was all crunched into a tight spool and, of course, the developer and other chemistry had made a mottled mess of it. What the ....?

A quick look told me instantly what I'd done wrong: I fitted the 35mm reels onto the spindle reversed from their proper orientation. The film never had a chance to properly slide into the spiral grooves. Sigh, my own f*** ** again.

I've corrected the error and will shoot a quick roll of Tri-X to put through it and be sure I got it right this time before sacrificing Test Roll 2 of Ferrania (currently in the Minox 35GT-E) to it... ;)

G

Last edited:

MartinN

Home dev film is always a bit uncertain… I appreciate the copy paste operation between memory card and NAS. Not that I have no problems with my Buffalo NAS. It has some hardware defect and needs to be restarted and the operation repeated about once in five tries. Ouch.

Godfrey

Home dev film is always a bit uncertain… I appreciate the copy paste operation between memory card and NAS. Not that I have no problems with my Buffalo NAS. It has some hardware defect and needs to be restarted and the operation repeated about once in five tries. Ouch.
You should get that sorted. I find electronics with a problem are always a much much bigger issue for me than developing my own film ... I think this is the first roll of film I've lost to my processing error in forty or so years. I *always* process my B&W film at home, always have—always will. :)

G

abruzzi

isn't the LabBox design based on the Rondix? I've been tempted to get a LabBox to dev film while traveling since it can be loaded in daylight (when I went to Spain last year, I was paranoid about ct/xray exposure, so I contemplated developing my film as I went. In the end I shipped my film back instead of carrying it through the airport scanners.)

Godfrey

The Lab Box design is derivative of the Agfa Rondinax U (or 35) daylight loading tanks (not the Rondix, which is also daylight loading; the Rondix does not even have a spiral film reel in it ...). It's a bit more flexible since you can use the same tank to do both 35mm and 120 formats. With the Agfa tanks, you need a Rondinax 60 to do 120 format, and that tank only takes 120 film.

If you're shooting 35mm film only, get a Rondix 35 tank ... simpler, smaller, easier to use, and far less likely to get damaged. Uses a lot less chemistry too (200ml vs 350ml).

G

abruzzi

The Lab Box design is derivative of the Agfa Rondinax U (or 35) daylight loading tanks (not the Rondix, which is also daylight loading; the Rondix does not even have a spiral film reel in it ...). It's a bit more flexible since you can use the same tank to do both 35mm and 120 formats. With the Agfa tanks, you need a Rondinax 60 to do 120 format, and that tank only takes 120 film.

If you're shooting 35mm film only, get a Rondix 35 tank ... simpler, smaller, easier to use, and far less likely to get damaged. Uses a lot less chemistry too (200ml vs 350ml).

G
Interesting, I didn't know those details--thanks.

Actually I almost never shoot 35mm lately. I sold off all my film because I was shooting so little it was all expiring. My smaller medium format cameras have become my walk-around handheld cameras, and the bigger 6x7 and 6x9 cameras as well as LF are my tripod carefully composed cameras. So I'd need a setup that can primarily work with 120 film.