The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Open letter to Hasselblad

SrMphoto

Is this a Hasselblad-specific point, or a general one. Because as a general point it's incorrect. If I tell my Fuji cameras to shoot in a different aspect ratio, Lightroom pre-crops the RAF to that aspect ratio on import.
I do not understand the question (general point?).
Hasselblad cameras store the crop mode information in the raw file, but LrC does not recognize it.
See here:

rdeloe

I do not understand the question (general point?).
Hasselblad cameras store the crop mode information in the raw file, but LrC does not recognize it.
See here:
Sorry for the confusion. What I meant was, is the problem you describe specific to Hasselblad cameras or did you believe Lightroom can't do that at all. The former made sense, but the latter did not because Lightroom can use crop mode information RAW files created by my Fuji cameras.

From your response, it seems like you meant that Lightroom isn't playing nice with Hasselblad cameras (which is a shame).

Godfrey

I'll have to examine the 3FR files to see where Hasselblad puts the dimensioning information. I hadn't looked at the same files in Phocus as in LR Classic, at the raw format starting point, and for some odd reason all of the files I brought into Phocus were shot with the full format setting. ... :)

G

SrMphoto

I'll have to examine the 3FR files to see where Hasselblad puts the dimensioning information. I hadn't looked at the same files in Phocus as in LR Classic, at the raw format starting point, and for some odd reason all of the files I brought into Phocus were shot with the full format setting. ... :)

G
The link I posted discusses the location and meaning of the crop mode information in the raw files.

Mark Thompson

Open letter to Hasselblad
The H6D 100c could use one firmware upgrade to keep it alive in keeping with newer cameras released in 2020.
If you Hasselblad would add focus stacking (intregated step focusing) this would give the H6D 100c the ability to be on level par with the new
ly Released offerings from your competitors. In fact it is the only feature missing that severely limits the camera, being able to quickly stack images without touching or interrupting the sequence.

I realize the using Phocus you can move the motor in the lens yes I’ve done so roughly 15k times so I am familiar with that method. That method is great in studio but not using the camera for outdoor captures.

The other suggestions would be to offer lens upgrades to the new shutters a service that give a huge revenue to Hasselblad. And if possible to also offer an upgrade to the rear LCD enabling better resolution much needed for live view critical focusing among many other uses. You need not be afraid to offer these upgrades as they can only bring in revenue and maybe more sales expanding the life of the product.

Hasselblad you must have many reasons WHY you have abandoned the H6D 100c consumers but it’s time to rethink your strategy and review the product.

Thanks for reading!
There has been a lot of effort put into the crop sensor bodies which compete with the H6D-50c to some degree But the X series have never appealed to as an H6D-100c shooter. The real draw card for me was the sensor size making good use of the available lenses eliminating the H6D-50c as a choice.
Adding software improvements will be an easy thing for Hasselblad to do. Focus stacking would be great and I’d like the super easy addition of a security pin code when travelling.
My real wish list though is:-
1) A digital back that’s the largest possible size for the H series body. It could be anything from say 80-120MP and I’d be happy.
2) I still use my H3D II-39 with it’s global shutter and amazing ccd colors. I’d buy a 60+MP ccd 53.4x40 sensor (or bigger) for the H6D body for those two features.
3) Improved autofocus for H7 body. The ergonomics of the H series is superb. It’s ability to take a decent size sensor is excellent. Auto focus is a little hit and miss from time to time. I have pondered the feasibility of laser distance measurement through the lens. I expect that could be implemented easily enough in a new body to interface with the focus servo.

Just some thoughts as the H6D-100c really has been such a joy for me to use and there’s no real forward step from it at the moment.

Mark

PSS

2) I still use my H3D II-39 with it’s global shutter and amazing ccd colors. I’d buy a 60+MP ccd 53.4x40 sensor (or bigger) for the H6D body for those two features.
the H3D II 39 has global shutter? nobody has made a CCD sensor in ages. There are the 100mpix and 150mpix larger sensors both are CMOS. I don't think there is a larger sensor in the pipeline. the success of the GFX will hopefully bring us more development and more 33x44 sensors but right now the 100mpix is it as well.

Mark Thompson

the H3D II 39 has global shutter? nobody has made a CCD sensor in ages. There are the 100mpix and 150mpix larger sensors both are CMOS. I don't think there is a larger sensor in the pipeline. the success of the GFX will hopefully bring us more development and more 33x44 sensors but right now the 100mpix is it as well.
Hasselblad used CCD for some time then offered both CCD and CMOS. I like the old CCD sensors mostly because of the color and secondly (in aviation) propeller blades and helicopter rotor blades simply fade to the tip rather than bend. The global shutter does not scan during the exposure. You expose the CCD and then read. There’s also (I believe) a more realistic look to waterfalls. I keep the old H3D as a solid companion to my H6D (which is a truly fabulous camera)

PSS

pretty sure I had that same sensor in a phase back, definitely enjoyed the colors as well, never had any issues with rolling shutter, so never thought of it.

P. Chong

CCD sensors don’t exhibit rolling shutter. But they don’t have an electronic shutter either, at least implemented in Hasselblad backs. So I guess global shutter is a misnomer. The back captures the exposure by the shutter in the lens. I guess a focal plane shutter will work, but also not implemented by Hasselblad.

PSS

CCD are more or less analog, exposure is made then read. I am by no means an engineer so I am sure a lot of smarter people will know more and can explain better. but CCDs are not what we would consider global shutter where each pixel more or less acts as a shutter to make one uniform exposure and by doing this more or less eliminates a mechanical focal plane or lens shutter.
to me DR, tones and color are more important so modern CMOS are just better IMO. I don't think we will ever go back. I am also not sure we will ever see a larger then FF global shutter sensor. its hard enough to get companies to make larger "old tech" sensors.

buildbot

CCD are more or less analog, exposure is made then read. I am by no means an engineer so I am sure a lot of smarter people will know more and can explain better. but CCDs are not what we would consider global shutter where each pixel more or less acts as a shutter to make one uniform exposure and by doing this more or less eliminates a mechanical focal plane or lens shutter.
to me DR, tones and color are more important so modern CMOS are just better IMO. I don't think we will ever go back. I am also not sure we will ever see a larger then FF global shutter sensor. its hard enough to get companies to make larger "old tech" sensors.
They do exist!!

12 bit only, but based on the Mamiya ZD 12 bit isn’t too bad…

sog1927

They do exist!!

12 bit only, but based on the Mamiya ZD 12 bit isn’t too bad…
And only $49,950 each! I'll take 3 (one for each primary color).

citizin

Not that they would ever do this. Old new Hasselblad did the opposite, and now with the current owners it's even more unlikely.

They should open source or at the least add in a way to create software plug-ins for the system. The system is my favourite system, and i've own my h3d-50 for a decade now. I've demo'd the h6d-100c and found it to be both a stellar upgrade and completely choked by limited support.

buildbot

Not that they would ever do this. Old new Hasselblad did the opposite, and now with the current owners it's even more unlikely.

They should open source or at the least add in a way to create software plug-ins for the system. The system is my favourite system, and i've own my h3d-50 for a decade now. I've demo'd the h6d-100c and found it to be both a stellar upgrade and completely choked by limited support.
Seconding this, I desperately want a solution for a good raw editor with integrations with a decent programming language. It would be awesome to test some of the latest machine learning algorithms with the best camera hardware out there.