The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pentax 645 MF Lenses

gurtch

Hello all. My medium format rig is now Fuji GFX with Fuji lenses. I used to have a Pentax film camera and then a 645D. I still have several MF lenses that I was going to use with an adapter. At age 84, it is too much of a hassle. The lenses I have are 75mm, 150mm, 200mm, 120mm Macro and 300mm Green star with matching 1.4X. A year or so ago the used prices on ebay were very low, so I just kept the lenses on my shelf. I recently checked ebay prices and they have taken off (like everything else, I guess). 90% of the lenses listed are "Buy it Now" and are from Japan. I was stunned that the 75mm normal lenses were listed from $250 to $340. Several years ago you could not give them away. What gives? I have always thought the Pentax 645 MF lenses were amongst the best I have ever used, but were under appreciated. Even a quote I received from KEH was tempting. I will probably sell them and increase my GFX kit.
What are your thoughts?
Thanks in advance.
Dave in NJ

Hasslebad

There are a lot of theories on why desirable medium format cameras and lens prices have gone bonkers in the last two years. Some say it is young folks trying out film. Others say the equipment has been breaking over time and there is limited supply. I think it’s a combination of factors, but recently eBay also has a new policy for payments and I know I personally haven’t signed on. I used to sell my old analog equipment but haven’t in the past 18 mos. I wonder if many of the private sellers have stopped selling and the Japanese stores which have always priced high now dominate the listings and “set” the price. The 35mm cameras have not had as high a price increase as the medium format cameras mainly because of the higher supply. But I also see more private sellers. It probably is a function of several factors.

gurtch

Thanks Hasselblad for your insights. The weight, build quality, and smooth manual focus of the Pentax 645 lenses has always impressed me. It seems they are getting recognized for the fine quality they are and prices are reflecting that.
Dave

anyone

If you really like the glass I wouldn't sell it. Did that a few times in the past and always regretted it later, many times leading towards buying it again (for a higher price, of course).

Hasslebad

I’ve always loved the look from Pentax lenses. I agree they’re getting their due. Back in the 90’s I read or saw a video about the fashion photographer, Sante D’Orazio. He has some great images and he used a Pentax 645.

aksclix

I had the Pentax 645z before I moved to gfx 50r 3-4 years ago..
I bought the 28-45 for $4.5k I guess? 55 for $1100, 75 for $750, 120 for $650, 150 for some $$$ I forget.. I lost more than half the price in each resale 3 years ago.. it’s phenomenal kit for sure but was just too heavy!! I loved how the 645z and the 28-45 combo made people turn their heads every time they noticed it 😀
When they were being appreciated, the Fujifilm took over the medium format category with their 50r and 50s