The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase one back sizing - difference in tonal quality?

sixby45

Hi all - so I have seen some similar threads, but I'm very curious - right now I shoot with a Phase one IQ 40 MP back, and am seriously considering upgrading to a 60 or 80 back with the almost full size sensor. Besides the megapixel differences, will there be a tonal or color response difference? Not sure what people have found, but I see some seriously lovely work done on 60 or 80MP backs, and wonder if its just a resolution boost, or will the actual chip real estate result in different tonal contrast / falloff.

Thanks for all who respond, and really enjoying the MF work that everyone here supports and shares!

-Rich

sixby45

Oh! I should also say I shoot primarily Portrait / studio work - with some on location, but usually product shots, and vehicles, with the occasional flowers thrown in. :)

baudolino

Hi, I have no experience with a 40MP back but I have a lovely 80MP IQ280 listed for sale in the Buy and Sell section of this forum. Send me a PM if you are interested.

Shashin

The increase in resolution can resutl in better tonality. There are too many variables in what goes into the qualities of an image, it is hard to pin point one attribute. What you see in those images could simply be the quality of the light and nothing to do with the technology..

Abstraction

The increase in resolution can resutl in better tonality. There are too many variables in what goes into the qualities of an image, it is hard to pin point one attribute. What you see in those images could simply be the quality of the light and nothing to do with the technology..
I would qualify that even further and I would say that all things being equal, the increase in resolution can result in better tonality in very, very large print sizes. However, interpolating a lower resolution file will maintain comparable tonality, but not the detail.

sixby45

Thank you for the information, I appreciate it! And for Baudolino, I appreciate the offer but would imagine that the price for a 280 is above my budget currently :)

Steve Hendrix

Also, the larger sensor size will interact differently with the same lens (you'll get more of the lens).

Steve Hendrix/CI

Shashin

You will also get more DoF for any given focal length. You can also stop down more because the image will be less effected by diffraction. There are sorts of subtle things happening with a change in format. Whether any of those are significant is a question.

Last edited:

ErikKaffehr

All sensors are not created equal. Phase One has used sensors from Kodak, DALSA and now Sony. Kodak sensors probably had some issues with some colors DALSA did not have. Always hard to say how much is sensor and how much is color.

Some sensor have microlenses, some don't.

A larger sensor can collect more light and that gives a small advantage in noise.

Having more pixels is always an advantage, as it is the pixels that carry information.

The greatest advantage of having a larger sensor is that it uses a larger part of the image circle projected by the lens. So, it has less limitations with wide angle lenses.

Best regards
Erik