The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One DF+ rechargeable battery really hot

I bought a new Phase One rechargeable battery and charger for the DF+. On first charge it got almost too hot to touch during charging. It seems like it should not get that hot. Anyone have experience with this battery? Is this high heat normal or is something wrong? They are both Phase One brand.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Doesn't sound right to me. I have had many new batteries for P! and they never felt anything but slightly warm. Which P1 charger do you have? There's the older folding one and the newer cube-shaped one.

buildbot

I bought a new Phase One rechargeable battery and charger for the DF+. On first charge it got almost too hot to touch during charging. It seems like it should not get that hot. Anyone have experience with this battery? Is this high heat normal or is something wrong? They are both Phase One brand.
I had this happen with one of my batteries once, it never charged and got scary hot. I would guess one of the lithium cells inside has gone bad and has very high internal resistance. I would stop using it right away!

John Black

It's been a long time since I had the DF+ with the rechargeable batts, but I remember it getting pretty warm when charging.

Steve Hendrix

We've had a few recent reports of bad behavior with these batteries. We just yesterday tested some of our remaining stock supply and reproduced this with all our stock (hot, not charging, etc). So it appears the most recent batches may have had an issue. I would recommend contacting your dealer to return this.

Thanks,
Steve Hendrix/CI