The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One Feature 8 Update, Service Release 1

Steve Hendrix

Last edited:

Steve Hendrix

Try here:

Thanks for the heads up Steve, will check it out

Thanks.

Below is a corrected link - and this expands upon what Phase One states on their link with some commentary from Brad Kaye.

https://www.captureintegration.com/phase-one-feature-update-8-service-release-1-firmware-available/

Sorry for the extra posts, but I cannot edit my post once I have posted it. BTW - if anyone knows how to do this, please let me know. I know you can edit the thread title, but I have not found a way to edit the actual content of your post.

*** HEY - finally figured out how to edit a post! Thank you Dave Chew!

Steve Hendrix/CI

Last edited:
Reactions: med

Mexecutioner

Thanks.

Below is a corrected link - and this expands upon what Phase One states on their link with some commentary from Brad Kaye.

https://www.captureintegration.com/phase-one-feature-update-8-service-release-1-firmware-available/

Sorry for the extra posts, but I cannot edit my post once I have posted it. BTW - if anyone knows how to do this, please let me know. I know you can edit the thread title, but I have not found a way to edit the actual content of your post.

Steve Hendrix/CI
Brad's is much better as it actually explains what's new in this release, where as the PDF from Phase one does not at all, is just lists the v8 release info from the original release.

Thanks for the link!

med

Brad's is much better as it actually explains what's new in this release, where as the PDF from Phase one does not at all, is just lists the v8 release info from the original release.

Thanks for the link!
Seconded! Phase's documentation was totally useless. I said basically the same thing to my dealer and didn't get any info back on what was actually fixed. Thanks Steve and CI for documenting the changes and making it publicly available.

I upgraded the firmware earlier today on instructions from my dealer. I'm basically still in "play around and test" mode anyway with the IQ4 to get a feel for the back, so I might as well be testing fresh firmware, too....

Paul2660

Can anyone verify if ETTR now works with the XF? Or is still only available for users of the XT.
This is with the latest firmware announced in this thread.

Paul C

Mexecutioner

Can anyone verify if ETTR now works with the XF? Or is still only available for users of the XT.
This is with the latest firmware announced in this thread.

Paul C
I tried it just now, but I honestly don't think it is working for me. I will have to test further. Just now when I touch the ETTR button the camera just makes an exposure right away with no warning, but it seems to take it using the settings of the preceding shot. I wish this lab feature was better documented, or maybe that's what lab means, we have to figure it out.

Ray Harrison

I had tried ETTR earlier this afternoon as well on the XF with a similar experience to yours @Mexecutioner. It seems to only attempt to make an exposure calculation when there’s an x-shutter lens panel involved - XT, Cambo, etc.

Paul2660

That’s the same as before then. I hope this is not a statement from phase one that future features will only be developed for the X shutter platform.
Personally I find it amazing that it won’t work on the XF. Especially since original feature update 8 was focused on updates to the XF. Can’t see why it would not work on XF as all the same info is provided to the back that the X shutter lens would have.

Thanks for checking.

Paul C

anwarp

I raised this question about ETTR with Drew from P1 at the presentation organised by Teamwork Digital last week. He explained that it will be made to work with the XF, but there are issues with the meter in the camera competing. That is not a problem on the XT.

Let‘s see...

Paul2660

I guess that makes sense. The XT has no intelligence that I am aware of and relies on the back. I guess I assumed the meter was needed for a true ETTR type of exposure? I assume the XT is using the liveview from back which IMO is less than perfect for expose metering which may explain why the current feature is not working as well as it should i.e. it’s more hit and miss.

Paul C

anwarp

ETTR would be a feature processed entirely on the back. As the sensor can "see" the entire image, it can be analysed to determine the optimal exposure. The resolution of the meter would be too low to judge ETTR accurately.

I expect the XF firmware needs an update to accept an override for the exposure values that the meter calculates or is set by the user.

med

I am still waiting for Zero Latency and Capture Pilot :confused:
I wouldn’t hold my breath for Zero Latency. Given the IQ4’s propensity to heat up and burn through batteries even just while idling, I can’t imagine keeping the sensor “on” all the time is feasible. I hope I am wrong!

Paul2660

Refresh my memory on zero latency? It does away with the need to wake up the back if you want to use the Copal shutter? I guess since the e shutter in the 3100 I pretty much quit using the copals. The 3100 drove me away from the tech camera with the color cast issues and constant need to shoot the mandatory dark frame and back to the XF. But I can see the need for a leaf shutter/Copal at times on a tech camera.

Paul C

med

Refresh my memory on zero latency? It does away with the need to wake up the back if you want to use the Copal shutter? I guess since the e shutter in the 3100 I pretty much quit using the copals. The 3100 drove me away from the tech camera with the color cast issues and constant need to shoot the mandatory dark frame and back to the XF. But I can see the need for a leaf shutter/Copal at times on a tech camera.

Paul C
Yes, exactly. No need for wake up with back in zero latency mode. I got very used to it with my IQ250. Not the end of the world since now that I have ES I likely won’t be using the copal shutter much. I agree that shot, dark frame, and LCC (with its own dark frame if you change shutter speed!) is a PITA.

The IQ4-150 with ES, almost no LCC, and prerecorded dark frames is an absolute dream to shoot by comparison.

Greg Haag

Has anyone spent enough time with this to tell if there is a significant improvement in battery life? I am about to leave on a trip and hesitant to update firmware, but if the battery life is significantly better I would consider doing it.
Thanks,
Greg