The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One glass and Fuji GFX

AndyPtak

Is there such a thing as an adapter from Phase One to Fuji? I haven't been able to find one just doing Google searches. I'm beginning to think it may be technically impossible.

med

Try Googling "Mamiya 645 to Fuji GFX"; it seems like there are some options. I don't think there is any way to control aperture, however, so would only be useful for older manual focus lenses with an aperture ring.

AndyPtak

Thanks but I did see those already. I was hoping to find something that allowed me to use my newer model Blue Rings and get apeture control and AF. Tall order I know.

buildbot

Thanks but I did see those already. I was hoping to find something that allowed me to use my newer model Blue Rings and get apeture control and AF. Tall order I know.
AF would be a very fancy adapter indeed - they lenses are driven by the body. Not impossible but way more difficult.

Reactions: med

Ed Hurst

Re. Aperture control, do the lenses have a lever at the back so the body can physically move the aperture or is it purely an electronic connection? If the former, then an adapter along the lines of the Fotodiox one allowing use of Pentax 645 lenses (including those with no aperture ring) is theoretically possible.

buildbot

Re. Aperture control, do the lenses have a lever at the back so the body can physically move the aperture or is it purely an electronic connection? If the former, then an adapter along the lines of the Fotodiox one allowing use of Pentax 645 lenses (including those with no aperture ring) is theoretically possible.
Only the older manual Mamiya lenses I believe have manual aperture control - all digital in the newer stuff.

Ed Hurst

That's also true of the later Pentax 645 lenses. But regardless they all have a lever within the mount to control the aperture, which is operated by the camera in response to electronic controls with the new stuff, and that's what the adaptor grabs hold of. Wondered if the Phase mount could be the same...

rdeloe

I looked at a few online and I'm not seeing an aperture control lever like the ones in Pentax 645 lenses.

Fuji makes an adapter for H lenses to GFX, but I'm guessing that's because they made those H lenses.

P. Chong

I use my H lenses on the GFX…works wonderfully. No AF, but full flash sync with the leaf shutter till 1/800 for my old lenses. I believe up to 1/1000 for the newer ones. For macro work, the HC 4/120 is the only way to get 1/800 sync and 1:1 magnification without any other attachments other than the adapter. Works very well.

I looked at a few online and I'm not seeing an aperture control lever like the ones in Pentax 645 lenses.

Fuji makes an adapter for H lenses to GFX, but I'm guessing that's because they made those H lenses.

Focusrite

Kipon will probably be your best hope for something in the future. They now have a Contax 645 adapter for GFX with a 0.8x focal reducer and full aperture control. They also have a Mamiya 645 to Sony E adapter with full aperture control available.

They also made a post on their FaceBook page last year asking for people to email requests for Phase One/GFX adapters, so it seems like only a matter of time before they make one. When that might be is anyone's guess, but I would hope this year???

Link for the Contax adapter: Baveyes CONTAX645-GFX AF 0.8x - KIPON

Screenshot of the Facebook post:
Kipon FBook survey.jpg

AndyPtak

If Kipon ever makes such an adapter I'd be a happy camper. However, I'm not sure if I've ever seen a third party product for Phase One before. Could be that it's just too small a market or that Phase make it difficult.

med

If Kipon ever makes such an adapter I'd be a happy camper. However, I'm not sure if I've ever seen a third party product for Phase One before. Could be that it's just too small a market or that Phase make it difficult.
I think it is just too small of a market. Most of these 3rd party adaptors do not license anything, they just reverse engineer the communication and mount specs.

rdeloe

Fotodiox makes an adapter for Mamiya 7 lenses to GFX. I seriously doubt they sell a lot of those. The market is people who already have Mamiya 7 lenses because used ones cost a lot of money -- in the neighbourhood of used or new GF lenses.

I expect it would be a similar situation with Phase One lenses, except with an even smaller market.

Reactions: med

AndyPtak

Fringer makes an adapter for Contax 645 lenses to Fuji GFX, an even smaller market. I'm sure there must be something about Phase One that inhibits the production of an adapter.

buildbot

Fringer makes an adapter for Contax 645 lenses to Fuji GFX, an even smaller market. I'm sure there must be something about Phase One that inhibits the production of an adapter.
I don't think this is the case as there is the Mamiya/Schneider adapters from Kipon - TLDR: the 100 dollar more expensive one works with the newer lenses, and the less expensive one works with older lens.

Why? This is mostly a guess based on my what lenses my Mamiya ZD works with and which is does not - namely, the newer Schneider designed or rehoused lenses that have 16 bit communication vs. the older 4 bit communication. The entire Mamiya system is designed around something called MSCE - the Mamiya Serial Communications for External, which controls the digital backs (Phase has updated this interface in the XF, not sure how). It also uses the same protocol to talk to the lens. Essentially, the MSCE is just SPI with an interrupt/capture pin. Awhile ago I looked into the interface (here), with the idea I would build an aperture control board some day. I think the more expensive adapter is just for the newer 16 bit lenses.
As an aside, not every lens labeled Phase One is a newer 16bit lens, which I thought would be the case - my 120MM AF Macro is Phase One branded with the extra firmware update pins, yet it works on my ZD (which is v1 firmware, should not work with D lenses) - I think they used the 4 bit processor for these as the AF would never be fast anyway? Total guess though.
But anyway, just for setting the aperture, an electronic adapter is technically probably very easy for these companies, but I would guess the mechanical design / production costs even more to do and is not worth it.

AndyPtak

buildbot, thanks for the reply. I must admit that your explanation was a bit over my head, but would I be correct in assuming that you beleive that this - https://kipon.com/product/mamiya645-s-e-es-0-7x/ Kipon adapter would probably work for Blue Ring to Sony E mount? Different question, I know, but I also have Sony. I didn't notice an adapter on their site for Schneiders to Fuji GFX though. Did I miss that? What is the "TLDR 100 dollar more expensive one". I kind of got lost on their site.

diggles

The details of the Kipon adapter state "The 0.7x optic adapter gets rid of crop factor…"

So it changes a 100mm to 70mm, not sure what the benefit of that is…

To me it seems like it would be better to use an adapter that doesn't have a focal lingth reducer in it like this one:

AndyPtak

For all of you folks who know and understand a lot more than me - I have trouble understanding some of the descriptions on the Kipon site - is there an adapter that allows newer Phase/Schneider lenses on older Mamiya 645 DF models? I have one of those too and don't want to upgrade to an XF. Thanks.

diggles

The Phase One DF works with the Blue Ring lenses, not sure if the Mamiya DF is different though.