The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One IQ4 Linux Source Code

buildbot

true, buying used is always a gamble anyway đź–– just joking that we'll now be asking in our list of asks, if anything has been done to the OS ;-)
This is actually a really interesting security point- even without the source code, it’s an unencrypted linux filesystem. Unless it checks for a signed image someone could very easily tamper with it in a not so nice way, like uploading all of your raws somewhere whenever it gets an internet connection!

4x5Australian

This is such a simple feature and quite annoying that no one has thought about it; even with the X-shutter and a tethered M1 macbook I always need to quickly go down two shutter steps to do the LCC shot and then up; if you do it without x shutter it is even more annoying. The reality is that for the best quality images you need to do one and correct for distortion on top so if this workflow could be sped up this would be amazing.

It should also be available in Capture One... but P1 and C1 are now different companies ...

I've dropped a line to P1 on the LCC feature for the next firmware upgrade and maybe if a few of the forum members write them too we may get a result. It has been annoying me for AGES.
Coming to the IQ4 from 4x5 cameras, I was dismayed at the amount of repetitive tapping required on the shutter speed control symbols when composing, focusing and making the exposure. At first, I thought I must be overlooking some simple procedure. But no, there isn't any.

I often want to focus wide open at f5.6 (for maximum snappy-ness with wide lenses) and then expose the frame at f11. That operation takes around 12 taps. Then another 12 taps are needed to increase the exposure for the LCC shot and reduce it afterwards. When shooting several compositions, the tapping quickly gets tedious and time-consuming.

buildbot

Coming to the IQ4 from 4x5 cameras, I was dismayed at the amount of repetitive tapping required on the shutter speed control symbols when composing, focusing and making the exposure. At first, I thought I must be overlooking some simple procedure. But no, there isn't any.

I often want to focus wide open at f5.6 (for maximum snappy-ness with wide lenses) and then expose the frame at f11. That operation takes around 12 taps. Then another 12 taps are needed to increase the exposure for the LCC shot and reduce it afterwards. When shooting several compositions, the tapping quickly gets tedious and time-consuming.
It probably would not be too hard with the source code to add a scripting interface linked to customizable UI buttons!
Or Phase could add it...

Lot of really awesome ideas for tweaks in this thread, many I would have not thought of!

Steve Hendrix

There is that capability with the XF Camera. You can set the live view to display wide open instead of your selected aperture. Perhaps this will eventually make its way into the XT or any tech camera utilizing X Shutters. In the meantime ... when in live view, have you noticed that you can adjust the shutter speed with the silver buttons without leaving live view?

While I feel like the previous user interface from the IQ1/2/3 iterations is clunky in comparison to the IQ4, I do think there is room for lots of improvement in the user interface of the IQ4. But then again, once you start down the road of all the different camera models whose user interfaces need an overhaul, the room gets very crowded, very quickly, with few exceptions in our industry.

Steve Hendrix/CI

4x5Australian

In the meantime ... when in live view, have you noticed that you can adjust the shutter speed with the silver buttons without leaving live view?

Steve Hendrix/CI
Thanks, Steve. Yes, I had, and doing so does save one from exiting to the exposure view. But I wasn't even counting the few presses involved in doing so.

The silver buttons are very nice, but as they involve some mechanical component, I was a little concerned that the repetitions required for each shot might eventually wear them out.

And because the back can't be fired from the live view screen without the expensive remote release (why not?! - that's another obvious improvement to be made) I have to go back to the exposure screen, where the shutter release button is, anyway.

Nevertheless, I'll revisit my procedure and see if that works out better for me.

Steve Hendrix

Thanks, Steve. Yes, I had, and doing so does save one from exiting to the exposure view. But I wasn't even counting the few presses involved in doing so.

The silver buttons are very nice, but as they involve some mechanical component, I was a little concerned that the repetitions required for each shot might eventually wear them out.

And because the back can't be fired from the live view screen without the expensive remote release (why not?! - that's another obvious improvement to be made) I have to go back to the exposure screen, where the shutter release button is, anyway.

Nevertheless, I'll revisit my procedure and see if that works out better for me.

The silver buttons will hold up fine. While I can't say we've never seen an issue with them, the instances are quite rare.

You can actually fire the shutter from live view, there is a virtual release button present in live view (you may need to touch the screen for it to appear if you don't see it).

Steve Hendrix/CI

tcdeveau

my IQ4 Achro will fire from the live view screen sans remote, i imagine the "normal" IQ4 should be able to as well

4x5Australian

The silver buttons will hold up fine. While I can't say we've never seen an issue with them, the instances are quite rare.

You can actually fire the shutter from live view, there is a virtual release button present in live view (you may need to touch the screen for it to appear if you don't see it).

Steve Hendrix/CI
That's a welcome surprise. Thank you, Steve and tcdeveau. Yes, the back can be fired from live view.

That live view shutter release button didn't seem to work for me before, but I see now that it does. It does save going back and forth between the screens, at least.

Massive Si

really interesting thread.
I really wish there was a further development route for IQ backs (such as enabling an ES shutter on the IQ350) and its certainly something I'd contribute to.
But I know how complex these matters are