The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One IQ4 Linux Source Code

Ray Harrison

That's awesome. I'm happy to be on the losing end of the argument of will it or won't it happen :) . It will be interesting to see what you end up with. Once you get it, evaluate the contents and are able to do a build, is the next step to pick up a used IQ4?

JeffK

there's a really good price for one on B/S now. Member is new though, but he did say in person pickup was available.

Edit: there WAS one/ Just sold.

Looking forward to what you come up with on this. Having done a lot of software development professionally before going full-time into architectural photography, and given that I've often ended up scripting my way around annoyances with C1, being able to fix a number of niggling UI issues on the IQ4150 firmware that they never seem to fix would be useful.

In particular, having an option to toggle electronic shutter on the main shooting screen without having to go into the menus is a feature I'd happily pay for (or get my hands dirty with...) if someone's thinking of doing a Magic Lantern-like custom build for the IQ4's. Same with being able to shoot bracket sequences of dual-exposure images, which I always wish I could automate (yeah, that one's actually partially scriptable via tethering, but it really ought to be on the back...)

Paul Spinnler

Or also just dual exposure without always needing to go into the menu, an exposure heat map in live view to precisely position a grad filter and maybe the ability to have a LCC small shot button which is basically just two stops under the current exposure setting …

tcdeveau

Manual entry of lens metadata (focal length, x/y movements, and tilt) would be lovely. That’s the only thing I feel missing for my needs.

buildbot

That's awesome. I'm happy to be on the losing end of the argument of will it or won't it happen :) . It will be interesting to see what you end up with. Once you get it, evaluate the contents and are able to do a build, is the next step to pick up a used IQ4?
Probably! Though I will need to really pair down my collection of equipment in order to justify it, it is kind of out of hand...Does one amateur really need 4(+) systems? ;)

there's a really good price for one on B/S now. Member is new though, but he did say in person pickup was available.

Edit: there WAS one/ Just sold.
Yeah that was an incredible deal, I am not surprised it went quickly. Though they seem to be going for 20K USD ish on eBay these days. I might trade in my IQ3 Achro for an IQ4 Achro I suppose.

Looking forward to what you come up with on this. Having done a lot of software development professionally before going full-time into architectural photography, and given that I've often ended up scripting my way around annoyances with C1, being able to fix a number of niggling UI issues on the IQ4150 firmware that they never seem to fix would be useful.

In particular, having an option to toggle electronic shutter on the main shooting screen without having to go into the menus is a feature I'd happily pay for (or get my hands dirty with...) if someone's thinking of doing a Magic Lantern-like custom build for the IQ4's. Same with being able to shoot bracket sequences of dual-exposure images, which I always wish I could automate (yeah, that one's actually partially scriptable via tethering, but it really ought to be on the back...)
Hopefully they provide it in a way that is easy to rebuild and tweak! They don't have to with GPL V2 at least, they could just give us only patch files... Or just hope I go away. Also, all of the functionality is built into the P1Linux binary, so there is certainly some more investigation needed to make all of these awesome ideas people have possible.

On the scripting front, it does seem like Phase One's Camera SDK (for the IXM/IQ4) is free now - https://developer.phaseone.com/sdk/index.html has the documentation and libraries.

Paul Spinnler

YES, please.
This is such a simple feature and quite annoying that no one has thought about it; even with the X-shutter and a tethered M1 macbook I always need to quickly go down two shutter steps to do the LCC shot and then up; if you do it without x shutter it is even more annoying. The reality is that for the best quality images you need to do one and correct for distortion on top so if this workflow could be sped up this would be amazing.

It should also be available in Capture One... but P1 and C1 are now different companies ...

I've dropped a line to P1 on the LCC feature for the next firmware upgrade and maybe if a few of the forum members write them too we may get a result. It has been annoying me for AGES.

Last edited:

Steve Hendrix

I've dropped a line to P1 on the LCC feature for the next firmware upgrade and maybe if a few of the forum members write them too we may get a result. It has been annoying me for AGES.
Yes, feature implementation is often influenced strongly by the quantity of demand. So, yes, any who would like to see a future feature should make their voice heard to Phase One. Below are some instructions how - it's easy.

https://www.captureintegration.com/creating-phase-one-support-cases-and-providing-lab-feedback/

Steve Hendrix/CI

My most wanted feature request is to enable external triggering of Frame Averaging through cable release, tethered in C1 and Cascable. According to the description for Feature Update 8 it's supposed to be there already, and external triggering does work for Dual Exposure+ but not for Frame Averaging. It's annoying not being able to use Frame Averaging when the camera is out of reach. I've contacted Phase One Support about this several times. It's up to the firmware team to get it done.

-Dominique

Paul Spinnler

T
My most wanted feature request is to enable external triggering of Frame Averaging through cable release, tethered in C1 and Cascable. According to the description for Feature Update 8 it's supposed to be there already, and external triggering does work for Dual Exposure+ but not for Frame Averaging. It's annoying not being able to use Frame Averaging when the camera is out of reach. I've contacted Phase One Support about this several times. It's up to the firmware team to get it done.

-Dominique
That's a good one - but is it just me, ie the dual exposure function and frame averaging always require some sort of side menu diving? Wouldn't it be great to just set the camera to a certain exposure mode ie dual exposure, frame averaging, bracketing, standard and then every time you press the main shutter button it does this?

Yes, DE+ and AFA requires the side menu to get into which I don't mind. But I agree that once into those modes, any triggering of the camera should trigger the respective DE+ or AFA sequence. I never really saw the reason why the XF shutter button or an external release overrides these modes and just triggers a just single exposure.

Qamaro

lol - I original was going to ask this but, it's has gone the way I thought it would when I first saw this post. Looks like we are heading toward trying to jail break DB's I see. So now I can make sure to add asking folks if their used backs are jail-broken or OG :LOL:. It's a cool outcome and perhaps something interesting will come of it as often happens with these things.

buildbot

lol - I original was going to ask this but, it's has gone the way I thought it would when I first saw this post. Looks like we are heading toward trying to jail break DB's I see. So now I can make sure to add asking folks if their used backs are jail-broken or OG :LOL:. It's a cool outcome and perhaps something interesting will come of it as often happens with these things.
Not quite sure what you mean, but as always, their is always more risk when buying used from us randoms vs. Say, Capture Integration. Maybe I store my IQ3 in a salty swamp ;)

Qamaro

true, buying used is always a gamble anyway 🖖 just joking that we'll now be asking in our list of asks, if anything has been done to the OS ;-)

jng

-Dominique
Agreed! It's a pain not being able to trigger frame-averaging by remote or via tethering, although as you note this works fine in dual-exposure+ mode. Making lemonade out of lemons, however: right after running through a frame-averaged capture I sometimes just squeeze off a single frame using the remote release, in case I need to blend in an area that showed movement artifacts in the frame-averaged image.

John