The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One IQ4 phone tethering / transfer feature?

med

I am guessing when capture one comes out for the M1 processor, a port of it will appear on the Ipad as 95% of the work will have been done as there is a unified codebase between them.
I would hope for more than just a port... it would be great to see it optimized for the interface as well.

buildbot

I suppose we shouldn’t be too harsh on Phase One, it is a pandemic and they probably treat their (small?) workforce fairly well and don’t force them to rush to a deadline.

edmundphoto888

I suppose we shouldn’t be too harsh on Phase One, it is a pandemic and they probably treat their (small?) workforce fairly well and don’t force them to rush to a deadline.
But I am sure P1 will release IQ5 on schedule to push the market even it is a pandemic! IQ4 is more like a testing machine to us!

Mexecutioner

I don't think so, they've had more than enough time to do this. People are working from home and could write code safely in the comfort of their living rooms. After more than a year the pandemic excuse is wearing off. BTW I am not trying to be insensitive or dismiss the big problem the pandemic is, but they had a year before the first COVID case was reported.

docholliday

I don't think so, they've had more than enough time to do this. People are working from home and could write code safely in the comfort of their living rooms. After more than a year the pandemic excuse is wearing off. BTW I am not trying to be insensitive or dismiss the big problem the pandemic is, but they had a year before the first COVID case was reported.
In theory, the last year should have been *more* productive! For one of the groups that I'm the IT director for, we are actually a year ahead of our roadmap both in infrastructure and with our in-house management system code. I wrote the roadmap and spec to happen over 4 years or so, but we had the time and "openings" to do things, so we pushed ahead and now we are way ahead, even below budget.

The pandemic work-from-home should've given them plenty of opportunity to crank out all kinds of stuff without interruption and with fewer initial bugs as there were less distractions!

Paul2660

No excuses for either bringing the solution to market or just announcing it isn't going to happen. Every other modern DSLR on the market has some form of iOS/Android solution to allow viewing the Live View Screen and fire the camera. Some are better than others, many also will allow geotags to be added if the phone is in cell service.

Right now the best solution is a Surface Pro type laptop, (Macs are not really a good solution in the field since you can't remove the keyboard, and screens are not touch) and tether with C1.

Paul

Greg Haag

No excuses for either bringing the solution to market or just announcing it isn't going to happen. Every other modern DSLR on the market has some form of iOS/Android solution to allow viewing the Live View Screen and fire the camera. Some are better than others, many also will allow geotags to be added if the phone is in cell service.

Right now the best solution is a Surface Pro type laptop, (Macs are not really a good solution in the field since you can't remove the keyboard, and screens are not touch) and tether with C1.

Paul
Paul, is the primary negative on this solution is that it is not wireless?

docholliday

My issue with all of C1/P1 is that they only have iOS solutions...some of us don't care for anything iOS, so Android or a lightweight Windows "capture client" would be much more useful.

Massive Si

My issue with all of C1/P1 is that they only have iOS solutions...some of us don't care for anything iOS, so Android or a lightweight Windows "capture client" would be much more useful.
It wouldnt be that hard, I've looked at the SDK document, and I have developed a few android apps over the years - but I'm not paying $3000 a year for it

docholliday

It wouldnt be that hard, I've looked at the SDK document, and I have developed a few android apps over the years - but I'm not paying $3000 a year for it
Exactly. It would take no time to write either android or a UWP lightweight capture client. I've written a bunch of code for Canon capture used in patient imaging in Winforms. With the SDK, it would be so easy for me to swap out camera comm code and make one. But I agree...I'm not paying for an SDK.

That's why I'm so befuddled that they don't have either an android client or Windows lightweight. It wouldn't be that difficult for them to do it in house since they have full access to the base code!

buildbot

With the new ipad pro getting a M1 cpu i think there is a good chance of capture one on ipad. let wait and see :)
And thunderbolt! I wonder if there's a way to access firewire from iOS now (using the 3-2 adapter + FW800 TB2 adapter) .... new life to old backs!
Capture One will be on the iPad someday I'm sure too.

Hi. I have asked them about a whitepaper regarding the so called "Infinity Platform". No feedback. What was written about on the old Phase one web page has had no content.
https://www.phaseone.com/de-DE/Photography/Camera-Technology/Infinity-Platform
It is in my view advertising blah blah. My impression is that this term disappeared slowly from the phase one web.
Yes, CO for M1 is published and CO for M1 iPad is announced. So finally there may be a solution. Anytime PO needs to find their way, they have not till now, my personal impression. Build in Capture one is nonsense in general. Look to similar ideas from Zeiss. Costs a lot but will I am staying in the rain and fighting with a tiny display on an unergonomical position to edit pictures? we call this humbug. Michael

edmundphoto888

"Infinity Platform" will soon be expired when the "Endgame Platform" is there! I think P1 will soon be on their "Endgame" or die from "Infinity" if this little mobile function is so impossible from them!

Reactions: med
At getdpi I like to start later a discussion about photographic technology, what may be a reason to buy MF in the iphone era and cameras like the upcoming Canon R3 or the Sony 1.

baudolino

In the meantime, has anyone tried to use a Toshiba FlashAir or similar wifi enabled SD card in the IQ4? And tether to an iPad using Shuttersnitch? I just saw this work quite well with the Fuji GFX100S - jpegs only, of course. But with the availability of an SD card slot in the IQ4 backs, this might perhaps work as a temporary work-around.

onasj

There's no technical reason why wireless transmission of large RAW files (several hundred MB) can't be done very quickly. Apple's Airdrop technology has been transferring GBs very quickly (seconds) for many years now. Having speedy wireless RAW transfer directly to an iPad or laptop for C1 editing would be highly enabling and is possible, and I hope P1 makes this happen!