The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One IQ4 Remote Launches via Cascable

Steve Hendrix

For me I'll take a pass. I would much rather have a cable remote connection if needed where I'm at 99% chance of nothing going wrong. When other features are added - who knows when - I'll take another look. Just seems to me that this very late feature could have had at least some other capabilities for tech users other than just a simple shutter release through a wireless handshake with my iPhone where lots could go wrong in the field.

Victor B.

I think that suggestions would be welcome from anyone, since this is expected to undergo continual development.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Boinger

Honestly after 30 months of wait, not being able to control ISO / shutter speed from the Ipad is a bit of a joke.

I understand they say it will come later.. but it is just utterly ridiculous that it wasn't put out on release.

Reactions: med

dchew

It does look like you can change the iso. Just not the shutter speed and (metadata) f-stop.

Just like when they first introduced the exposure controls in live view. F-stop and shutter speed came later on Non-XT technical cameras.
Dave

Reactions: med

vjbelle

I think that suggestions would be welcome from anyone, since this is expected to undergo continual development.

Steve Hendrix/CI
Hi Steve..... my suggestions which I hope mirror what others are thinking is that I want my iPhone to replicate what I can do on the IQ4 DB when used on a tech camera. I want to be able to control exposure, see and/or hide the exposure histograms, see peaking, zoom to 100% with a double tap, move around the image at 100%, ability to double expose and frame average. I also want to be able to see a jpg of the taken image that will show exactly the exposure aids that can be seen on my DB.

If they can do that they get my vote. For the incredible amount of money spent on an IQ4 I don't think its too much to ask.

Cheers.....

Victor B.

erlingmm

I normally have AF set to the back button on the XF. How will Cascable handle focusing with this setting? Will I have to set it back to default first?

Ray Harrison

I normally have AF set to the back button on the XF. How will Cascable handle focusing with this setting? Will I have to set it back to default first?
You don't have to do anything. It has focus controls similar to what you find on Capture One when tethered (focus nudging, etc).

Craig Stocks

As lame as this solution seems it did solve one problem for me. I was setting up cross-polarized light to photograph paintings and it was very easy to use live view on Cascable while I adjusted the filters on the strobes. My iPad and the IQ4150 were attached to my home wifi rather than using the IQ4150's access point and it worked fine. I then closed Cascable before I shot any frames to avoid downloading any RAW files onto my iPad.

However, it does feel like Phase One simply gave up on developing their own Capture Pilot solution and gave the problem to Cascable. It makes me wonder what else they're going give up on.

med

Have just fooled around with it a bit and it’s a decent start. Getting live view on my phone is an improvement over using either the IQ4 screen or an external HDMI monitor.
Changing ES shutter speed and f stop when using a non-XT tech camera is a must, as is the ability to fire over full res JPEGs to the phone for focus checking. I would be fine with lower res JPEGs if they would bring back focus mask. Still can’t believe this IQ1/IQ2/IQ3 feature is missing….

Paul Spinnler

It is clear what happened. P1 got sold, split up into C1 and P1, P1 got restructured for more profitability, back sales are impacted by pandemic, Fuji and Hassy X1, so they just outsourced it to cascable because they don't have the capacity. To justify the XT they do feature differentiation, eg in the software, this stupid cable solution for non-XT users (they could have worked on adatpers with electormagnetical contacts) and all in all sales is more and more focused on repro / industrial as enthusiast and pro sales have peaked. Let's see how does goes for P1 as photography tool ...

Gerd

I would appreciate if someone could give me information on how Cascable behaves in LiveView with IQ4 via WLAN.

The reason I ask is, I can't test it currently because my IOS devices only go up to 12.x (they are older devices). The current IQ4 WLAN "Access Point Mode" connection is limited to 2.4 GHz. This is the range that is the worst in terms of susceptibility to interference. On 2.4 GHz pretty much everything runs here in Europe (Bluetooth, remote controls, etc..., etc...). When I connect with a notebook to an IQ4 Back as access point, over 2.4 GHz, I have colored stripes in the picture - always. I exclude an error at the, IQ4 Back, because I have two IQ4 Back's and both show the same behavior. Also I have tried several times different computers, the problem remains. As soon as I switch to 5 GHz in the studio and do not use the access point mode of the IQ4, the problem is gone.

So I am very skeptical that Cascable does a better job of this in LiveView over WLAN 2.4 GHz. And before I invest 1K in a new IPAD (and get angry afterwards) I would like to clarify in advance whether the Cascable LiveView can be used professionally. I know that outside of Europe other channels are used in the 2.4 GHz range, but let's just leave this point out. I am primarily only interested in the LiveView, I must be able to focus without interference within a radius of 3 to 5 meters.

So I would be very pleased about information in this regard.

Greetings Gerd

Is wired tethering coming/there? Cascable works great for this purpose if you're on a Canon body, but wired would solve a bunch of the noted speed issues and be a pretty reasonable replacement for a tethered laptop for location use in some workflows.

Mexecutioner

I would appreciate if someone could give me information on how Cascable behaves in LiveView with IQ4 via WLAN.

The reason I ask is, I can't test it currently because my IOS devices only go up to 12.x (they are older devices). The current IQ4 WLAN "Access Point Mode" connection is limited to 2.4 GHz. This is the range that is the worst in terms of susceptibility to interference. On 2.4 GHz pretty much everything runs here in Europe (Bluetooth, remote controls, etc..., etc...). When I connect with a notebook to an IQ4 Back as access point, over 2.4 GHz, I have colored stripes in the picture - always. I exclude an error at the, IQ4 Back, because I have two IQ4 Back's and both show the same behavior. Also I have tried several times different computers, the problem remains. As soon as I switch to 5 GHz in the studio and do not use the access point mode of the IQ4, the problem is gone.

So I am very skeptical that Cascable does a better job of this in LiveView over WLAN 2.4 GHz. And before I invest 1K in a new IPAD (and get angry afterwards) I would like to clarify in advance whether the Cascable LiveView can be used professionally. I know that outside of Europe other channels are used in the 2.4 GHz range, but let's just leave this point out. I am primarily only interested in the LiveView, I must be able to focus without interference within a radius of 3 to 5 meters.

So I would be very pleased about information in this regard.

Greetings Gerd
why not borrow an iPad and test? I’m definitely not seeing any weird color stripes at all. I’d use capture one if I were to use this professionally though.

Peter Steinhauer

After conferring with Phase One, it appears that transferring the raws automatically can be disabled, but not through Cascable. You must disable this in the IQ4:

Go to Storage Setup > Advanced Setup (make sure Storage Mode is set to Advanced) > Host Storage > Disable.

This changes a lot of our initial perspective. We had asked Phase One about this for the past 2 days, perhaps we were asking the wrong question and they assumed we were only asking if this could be turned off in Cascable, because they told us you could not disable raw transfer. But we now know that you can on IQ4. This is really important.

Steve Hendrix/CI
Hi Steve,
What is so utterly disappointing about this app is although you can disable sending a 16bit Extended raw file to your iPhone or iPad Pro, you cannot get a jpeg sent in its place to view what you have just shot!! This is so monumentally irritating. We spend massive amounts of money on Phase One gear and have no choice but to wait 50 sec for an image to appear so we can zoom in on details for focus and so on? Ridiculous! Did they answer to you on this? I am so utterly out of my mind disappointed in Phase One on the lack of details with this. Also, no functions to use Frame Averaging and others. When I use my XT and X shutter lenses I have to use glass filters again…then wait 50 sec for an image preview? What pro can wait 50 sec? How in the world could they not get past this one? They should have just used the Capture Pilot platform ano made it work with the IQ4 150. Please tell me I am wrong with all of this?

Gerd

why not borrow an iPad and test?
I don't know of a corresponding service here, but I'll take a look around.

I’m definitely not seeing any weird color stripes at all.
You are using IQ4 over 2.4 GHz in access point mode? In which country are you located, I would like to check if you are using the same channels.

I’d use capture one if I were to use this professionally though.
I do that. Mostly via Ethernet, because the solution is more flexible than USB. 2.4 GHz WLAN access point mode causes problems as described above. But it would be an enormous gain in comfort to do this with an IPAD, especially since it could, in certain situations, speed up the workflow considerably.

Greetings Gerd

Steve Hendrix

Hi Steve,
What is so utterly disappointing about this app is although you can disable sending a 16bit Extended raw file to your iPhone or iPad Pro, you cannot get a jpeg sent in its place to view what you have just shot!! This is so monumentally irritating. We spend massive amounts of money on Phase One gear and have no choice but to wait 50 sec for an image to appear so we can zoom in on details for focus and so on? Ridiculous! Did they answer to you on this? I am so utterly out of my mind disappointed in Phase One on the lack of details with this. Also, no functions to use Frame Averaging and others. When I use my XT and X shutter lenses I have to use glass filters again…then wait 50 sec for an image preview? What pro can wait 50 sec? How in the world could they not get past this one? They should have just used the Capture Pilot platform ano made it work with the IQ4 150. Please tell me I am wrong with all of this?

Essentially it is a jpg that is sent, but I would like to see an option for a beefier size jpg. I am not 100% against having the raw sent, though I would like to see a more efficient reaction from Cascable when this happens, but if you disable sending the raw - which to be clear for any readers who missed this, yes you can - it would be nice to be able to select the size jpg that is sent. Since the signal is wireless, the efficiency of transfer is critical to the workflow, and a wirless control app is all about workflow.

But as with all things Phase One - remember, we are not Phase One. We love to get feedback and we do feed it back to Phase One. But equally or even more valuable is that you feedback directly to Phase One. Please remember to do this. This is not a company that sells products in the millions, this is a company with high price, low volume products, and yes, your individual voices will have an impact.

https://www.captureintegration.com/creating-phase-one-support-cases-and-providing-lab-feedback/

Steve Hendrix/CI

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I'm having a problem connecting but I don't think it's the app. When I set my IQ4 to "Access Point" and swipe down on the screen, the transmission symbol is greyed out. The words Access Point and the IP address show up properly, but Cascable can't connect. Anyone know how to ensure the symbol shows up too?

Steve Hendrix

I'm having a problem connecting but I don't think it's the app. When I set my IQ4 to "Access Point" and swipe down on the screen, the transmission symbol is greyed out. The words Access Point and the IP address show up properly, but Cascable can't connect. Anyone know how to ensure the symbol shows up too?

Hi Bill -

When it connects it should turn to white. I have found that sometimes it can be a bit stubborn connecting, but when I have trouble, I restart the IQ4 and the Cascable app and almost always connects afterward.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Ray Harrison

Bill, is the device you're trying to connect from (iPad, etc) connected to the access point? Go to Wi-Fi in your settings of your iOS device with the IQ4 on, you should see an access point called IQ4_<device serial number> or similar. Connect to that from the iPad/iPhone, then Cascable should be able to connect and start live view. I find that for me, the transmission symbol is always greyed out until live view itself is started.

Edit: I also saw today that Phase has a quickie overview on getting connected:

Last edited: