The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One IQ4 Remote Launches via Cascable

Greg Haag

Greg.... how are you connected on your iPad? The app has only two connection options - at least that I can see - and they are both WIFI related.

Victor B.
Victor, I am connected to the app via wifi. I have tried with the cable only, but the app does not connect with the camera. The sequence above was what finally worked after some experimentation. I am guessing, but it appears to communicate with the camera via wifi and send the image to the app via ethernet.

vjbelle

I'm fairly convinced that there is no way to connect an IQ4 DB to an IOS device directly through ethernet - at least they way I am trying. The documentation that is on my iPhone is fairly extensive and states that the tethered camera must be able to handshake in tethered mode which is a feature found on some other cameras. C1 has obviously written software that enables it to tether to the DB via USB. I am going to try that and will report back.

Victor B.

vjbelle

Upon further reading it appears that an IOS device connected via USB can only transfer images. There is no way to control the camera by this connection method due to limitations of the IOS system. Go figure.......

All of this documentation is available on your iPhone by clicking help.

Victor B.

Mexecutioner

Update on my experience connecting via ethernet

iPad via belkin USB-C to gigabit ethernet adapter
These are the steps I followed, not sure they are correct but it worked. I have not really found good documentation for step by step ethernet connection. It may exist, but if it does I am not sure where to find it.
1. Connect ethernet to IQ4 and iPad
2. Power on IQ4
3. Connect iPad to IQ4 wifi
4. Open Cascable App and Connect to IQ4

Transfer time/image improved to about 2.5-3 seconds

View attachment 186098

So far I have been unsuccessful with my iPhone attempt, I followed the same steps as above with the belkin ethernet + power adapter with lightning connector. My question is if the belkin adapter requires a power source to work? If so this is not an option for me.

View attachment 186099
Greg,

It probably does need more power which you could supply with a battery pack connected to the Belkin USB-C port. You could test it at home supplying power to the Belkin using your iPad power adapter which has the USB-C to USB-C cable and see it it works. The additional battery pack would make no sense in the field as you have an iPad for that.

Mexecutioner

Upon further reading it appears that an IOS device connected via USB can only transfer images. There is no way to control the camera by this connection method due to limitations of the IOS system. Go figure.......

All of this documentation is available on your iPhone by clicking help.

Victor B.
Correct, they removed these limiattions on iPad OS

vjbelle

How do you now this? If what you say is true then one should be able to directly connect an iPad to an IQ4 DB via USB and control the DB. Please tell me how this can happen.

Victor B.

vieri

I downloaded the app on my iPhone 12. Will check and report soon, but from what I am reading so far in this thread it looks like this might be a good opportunity to get one of those new, shiny M1 iPads!! 😂

Gerd

Hello Greg, hello Viktor,

it is possible - but it is not intended that way.

Scenario:
Connect IQ4 150 with an Ethernet cable directly to the IPAD via a USB to Ethernet adapter. IQ4 and the IPAD behave RFC 3927 compliant. This means if no fixed Ethernet address is assigned (IQ4 cannot do this) or no DHCP server has assigned an IP (a DHCP server is not available), then the respective network card falls back to a local link address still RFC 3927 for an existing link. The reserved network for this is 169.254.0.0/16 (CLASS B network).

On the IQ4 it looks like this:
You can check which IP address IQ4 is using.

On the IPAD it looks like this.
The IPAD also shows the net mask 255.255.0.0 or /16.

If you have a shell installed on the IPAD you can also ping (icmp) IQ4 and see that you get a response. But this step is not necessary - just for me to test.

In Cascable just enter the IP address of IQ4 manually.

You will get a connection immediately.

LiveView works via Ethernet without any problems and the transfer of images takes about 2 - 3 seconds with the Ethernet connection.

In the ScreenShots are now German dialogs, but I think you can also see what is meant.

The whole thing would not be necessary if PhaseOne would finally manage to manually assign a fixed IP address to IQ4. Or that you can activate a DHCP server on IQ4 for the Ethernet connection. Like they did with the WLAN AccessPoint setting.

I have tested WLAN 2,4 GHz. I have wonderful colored stripes in the picture. Cascable can't do anything about that, it's a Phase One problem.

Greetings Gerd

vjbelle

Thank you Gerd for posting above instructions. At first I could not connect but after changing my cable and entering my IP address numerous times I finally connected. I am using an iPad Pro that I purchased for my wife about a year. When I first received the iPad I installed one of the Adobe Photo programs and was very disappointed at how soft the image appeared. Nothing has changed. Live view is soft compared to how it looks on my MacBook Pro 13" when tethered to C1. Soft enough that I wouldn't consider using that platform for critical focus. I don't know if the M1 architecture has made improvements regarding this but it is a very weak point on the relatively new iPad I have available.

On the bright side zooming in and out is definitely smoother and faster than my iPhone using WIFI.

Again..... really appreciate your taking the time posting.

Victor B.

vjbelle

I shot an image which was captured to the iPad almost instantaneously and the image does appear much more crisp than live view. Thinking about this I could more than likely work with live view even though it's not as crisp as I would like. I don't know how one would work with this setup in the field on a bright day but I want to stay on the positive side. It works...... and it works very quickly. For sure if this is a serious consideration for anyone that does not own an iPad I would think that 1TB of storage would be mandatory.

Victor B.

Gerd

I don't know if the M1 architecture has made improvements regarding this but it is a very weak point on the relatively new iPad I have available.
I used an IPAD Pro M1, 12.9", Gen. 5, 1TB, 16 GB RAM for testing. I found the LiveView to be soft as well. What also bothers me a bit is that you can't zoom in on the transferred image above 100% (I'm not quite sure if it's really 100%). You can push it larger via this point, but when you release it, it shrinks again. But this is a peculiarity of Apple and has nothing to do with Cascable.

Greetings Gerd

Paul2660

Thanks for all of the input from everyone. It seems that right now connected to a cable and a iPad you can get a good image review and so so live view.

it also appears that for now a simple iPhone WiFi adhoc style connection like what was available with the IQ3 is not there yet mainly due to the 5seconds or longer time it takes to transfer the live view.

For field work in or around water a cable solution is a big risk as you have the port cover open on the IQ4. As the back has not real weather sealing it may not matter as the risk is already high by design.

It does seem for now a simple, cableless, hand held screen that allows viewing of live view for scene setup (as a tilting LCD allows) and gives simple camera controls is not yet really available with the current solution.

For me P1 should have spent more time maybe on the much more simple HDMI solution. Still requires a cable but much faster to setup and less battery life use. However with current HDMI you have to move around the live view image when zoomed with the blue arrows on the bacK’s LCD.

Paul

Ray Harrison

Thank you @Gerd for posting these instructions! This really helps, in particular on the M1 iPad. My older iPhone X is moderately slower as it doesn't do GigE but miles better than the WiFi Access point. Live view itself seems certainly more responsive over ethernet on either platform.

At this time, if I decided to not use cables, I'd definitely disable the image transfer on the back and simply use the phone/iPad for live view and camera control, which works OK. Hopefully Phase is beavering away on a firmware update that will help so that with WiFi it would be possible to just transfer the JPEG. Maybe some WiFi improvements in general too.

Steve Hendrix

First, I'd like to thank the members of the forum for their contributions - it's what makes this a great community.

Capture Integration is hosting a webinar tomorrow evening that covers Cascable and Phase One IQ4 in depth.

https://www.captureintegration.com/phase-one-iq4-remote-capture-webinar/

Our resident brainiac Brad Kaye will be leading this. Included in the agenda will be the following topics:

Wifi Setup & Best Practices

• Ethernet Setup & Best Practices

• Full Walkthrough Of Available Remote Camera Control Options For XF, XT & Technical Cameras

• Walkthrough Of Remote Control Options Unique To Cascable 6

• Troubleshooting

Look forward to seeing you there!

Steve Hendrix/CI

Greg Haag

Just a follow up on Cascable with a technical camera (non-XT), has anyone found this to be a useful? I am heading out on a trip soon and trying to decide about whether or not to use it on this trip.

Here is my current setup, is there a better way?
iPad via belkin USB-C to gigabit ethernet adapter
These are the steps I followed, not sure they are correct but it worked. I have not really found good documentation for step by step ethernet connection. It may exist, but if it does I am not sure where to find it.
1. Connect ethernet to IQ4 and iPad
2. Power on IQ4
3. Connect iPad to IQ4 wifi
4. Open Cascable App and Connect to IQ4

Transfer time/image improved to about 2.5-3 seconds

Cascable-1.jpg

Ray Harrison

Greg, I don't actually do the step of connecting the iPad to the IQ4 wifi. I just connect directly to the IP address of the back (which is still probably what it's doing in your approach. The speed you're seeing is about wha I see too. Edit: Added a bad iPhone shot - Cascable remembers the IP address and I just reconnect to it. "Just reconnect" is sometimes easier said than done. There are challenges holding on to the connectivity, I've found but I do appreciate the extra screen real estate. As with all things Phase, "fast" means "a long time, who knows how long" before another release - I expect the Cascable folks are awaiting a firmware update, potentially some WiFi and other adjustments/capabilities so they can add additional features. It's sort of languished since the middle of the year.

Another edit: I've also been using a new-to-me IQ3 achromatic back and I've been using Capture Pilot. The Cascable interface is much better and the capabilities list has far more potential, but gosh, it sure is nice to be able to fire it up, connect to the ad hoc wifi and "go". I think once they get the ability to move over JPEGs instead of 151MP raw files with Cascable over wifi, things will be much better.

IMG_0301.jpeg

Last edited:

Greg Haag

Greg, I don't actually do the step of connecting the iPad to the IQ4 wifi. I just connect directly to the IP address of the back (which is still probably what it's doing in your approach). The speed you see is about as fast as I get as well.
Thanks Ray!

Maxx9photo

Hi Steve,

Is there any specific to set up wired tethering? Seems I’m unable to connect with the Ethernet to my iPad.

I was able to connect via WiFi but sometimes it took too long to get the connection.

Thanks in advance!

Ray Harrison