The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One IQ4 series. Much more than resolution.

f8orbust

I find the myth that you can't hand hold Medium Format to be propagated mostly by those who don't shoot medium format.
To be fair, that's not what I'm saying. You can get perfectly acceptable images shooting hand held. But whether or not you're actually getting what it says on the can is another matter entirely.

f8orbust

The physics are the opposite. The larger/heavier the camera the less you need IBIS to keep the camera stable. Weight is a form of "inertial dampening". Moreover, the larger/heavier the sensor the less an IBIS system can stabilize it.
Well, if you really want to suffer for your art ...

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
My problem isn't getting the shot - it's carrying the equipment. I can shoot hand-held with anything. I cannot carry even 20 lbs. of gear with me all day/every day.

--Matt

Paul2660

20 or so years ago, I was trying to carry the weight but now just don't want to or can't.

As for hand holding a XF and 150 or 100MP back, it's up to an individual's style, what they are shooting, and where they had to go to get it.
2017, my first trip back to California in 20 or so years, I had both the GFX and XF/3100. Goal was to shoot the XF/3100, no doubt it takes great images. 2nd day out, I realized, just wasn't meant to be unless I was working from my car. 3 thousand to 6 thousand feet, out of breath at most stops, no way was I going to attempt hand holding the 3100. Thus I had to break out the tripod, setup and take the shot. After about 20 to 25 of these stops, for me it just wasn't fun anymore, used to be, just is not. For the rest of the trip on hikes, it was GFX. With the massive flow of water, never needed to even attempt slower shutter speeds.

But take an XF, with a 40-80 or the 75-150 and 3100, you are taking close to 7 maybe 8 pounds. Even the 35mm Blue Ring is a 5 to 6 pound hold. I can hand hold with the 45mm like Doug did or the 55mm, and of course the 80mm. But trying to even think about the 240mm, just can't do it. The "vibration" system on the XF, if set to infinity, won't fire when you hand hold at least mine won't as I never reach a position still enough for it to register. B of these lenses are top end at least mine are, and are capable of capturing excellent sharp images, but not hand held, not very often.

I have taken plenty of shots with the GFX and 250mm and the 1.4 converter, all or most hand held and there the difference is OIS. It's no different in the 35mm world, with all large glass you have VR or IS, depending on the company. And it does make a difference. There is still a lot to be determined on the 100s Fuji, as for now, it has to be one of the most ungainly looking cameras I have ever seen not what I was expecting as a follow on to the GFX.

The E shutter on the 3100 is a huge asset, but you can't hand hold it, period. You can with the D850 or GFX, not that it's a great idea to do it, but there are times it may be helpful. I have never been able to even hand hold the 3100 with Live View to try and get critical focus on a scene, pretty much impossible due to movement. I do it all the time with both the D810 and D850. You can't really do it (at least I can't) with the GFX due to the way Fuji has implemented the 100% view of Live View.

Sure it can be done, and is done but I still feel the best way to get the most out that 100MP back is on a tripod.

Paul C

Dan Santoso

Can someone provide Blue ring LS's lens resolution lp/mm?

I have not seen any info in the web whether or not Phase lens can actually deliver resolution over 100mb.

Now that 150mb is out Phase one please show us whether your lens are capable to match the sensor.

Thanks

Christopher

They can, or at least most of them. I can’t tell you any lp/mm, however, I own the whole BR range and have the IQ3100. All of my lenses performed very well and especially the newer ones are also excellent wide open across the frame.

Can someone provide Blue ring LS's lens resolution lp/mm?

I have not seen any info in the web whether or not Phase lens can actually deliver resolution over 100mb.

Now that 150mb is out Phase one please show us whether your lens are capable to match the sensor.

Thanks

Dan Santoso

They can, or at least most of them. I can’t tell you any lp/mm, however, I own the whole BR range and have the IQ3100. All of my lenses performed very well and especially the newer ones are also excellent wide open across the frame.

I have IQ 3 100 as well. I have tested 240L BR with IQ180 vs Sony 90mm macro with A7R2. The result was suprising. IQ shows more details but the Sony had equal sharpness for less than $1000 lens.

Thats why im not sure if Phase lens can support 150mp

Paul2660

One question that I have not seen an answer to,

Live View output via HDMI? on the IQ4.

On the IQ3, Live View output via HDMI port was pretty worthless, since you only could see the center of the image and not move around the frame. There are tons of great high nit displays out on the market now. Will the IQ4 have a better implementation of Live View to HDMI than the IQ3?

Paul C

Phase V

Does the new 150 Mpx sensor has Phase Detection built in?

The smaller one for the announced Fuji GFX 100 does, so given that both
has the same tech but just other sizes, i guess it´s there also.

Maybe it´s just me, but i have not seen any word about it, so i guess
this will be the next (to pay for) upgrade to the IQ4 line; a state of the art autofocus?

Same goes for the 4k and 8k video capability of this sensor.

So the term Infinity Platform really makes sense, it just means infinity income for them :D

Geoff

A simple observation - it seems that the past decade has been the time of small manufacturers discovering milling with CNC out of alum stock, and while the quality and tolerances are wonderful, the weight just gets up there. (Leica SL, Phase XF, etc.). It seems only the volume manufacturers can afford to put in the extra R&D to get to lighter weight with high performance, mostly for FF and smaller. This may be changing...

I love MFDB quality (Credo 60) but prefer to work with the smallest, lightest setup. Sure one can handhold the camera, but for travel, include a couple of lenses and other stuff... and it adds up... as a result, I've shifted to tech cameras and stayed away from AF or any of the large zoom lenses. Too bad, but a major camera using a digital back is too heavy to haul around all day for travel shooting.

20 or so years ago, I was trying to carry the weight but now just don't want to or can't.

As for hand holding a XF and 150 or 100MP back, it's up to an individual's style, what they are shooting, and where they had to go to get it.
2017, my first trip back to California in 20 or so years, I had both the GFX and XF/3100. Goal was to shoot the XF/3100, no doubt it takes great images. 2nd day out, I realized, just wasn't meant to be unless I was working from my car. 3 thousand to 6 thousand feet, out of breath at most stops, no way was I going to attempt hand holding the 3100. Thus I had to break out the tripod, setup and take the shot. After about 20 to 25 of these stops, for me it just wasn't fun anymore, used to be, just is not. For the rest of the trip on hikes, it was GFX. With the massive flow of water, never needed to even attempt slower shutter speeds.

But take an XF, with a 40-80 or the 75-150 and 3100, you are taking close to 7 maybe 8 pounds. Even the 35mm Blue Ring is a 5 to 6 pound hold. I can hand hold with the 45mm like Doug did or the 55mm, and of course the 80mm. But trying to even think about the 240mm, just can't do it. The "vibration" system on the XF, if set to infinity, won't fire when you hand hold at least mine won't as I never reach a position still enough for it to register. B of these lenses are top end at least mine are, and are capable of capturing excellent sharp images, but not hand held, not very often.

I have taken plenty of shots with the GFX and 250mm and the 1.4 converter, all or most hand held and there the difference is OIS. It's no different in the 35mm world, with all large glass you have VR or IS, depending on the company. And it does make a difference. There is still a lot to be determined on the 100s Fuji, as for now, it has to be one of the most ungainly looking cameras I have ever seen not what I was expecting as a follow on to the GFX.

The E shutter on the 3100 is a huge asset, but you can't hand hold it, period. You can with the D850 or GFX, not that it's a great idea to do it, but there are times it may be helpful. I have never been able to even hand hold the 3100 with Live View to try and get critical focus on a scene, pretty much impossible due to movement. I do it all the time with both the D810 and D850. You can't really do it (at least I can't) with the GFX due to the way Fuji has implemented the 100% view of Live View.

Sure it can be done, and is done but I still feel the best way to get the most out that 100MP back is on a tripod.

Paul C

Last edited:

Paul2660

Does the new 150 Mpx sensor has Phase Detection built in?

The smaller one for the announced Fuji GFX 100 does, so given that both
has the same tech but just other sizes, i guess it´s there also.

Maybe it´s just me, but i have not seen any word about it, so i guess
this will be the next (to pay for) upgrade to the IQ4 line; a state of the art autofocus?

Same goes for the 4k and 8k video capability of this sensor.

So the term Infinity Platform really makes sense, it just means infinity income for them :D
No mention as you point out on the specs, however Phase Detect would mean EVF. To be honest, EVF and Phase Detect on the IQ4 would be so significant, I can't believe P1 would leave it out even if it was coming down the road. I guess the removable viewfinder on the XF could accommodate a EVF. Still without Phase Detect on sensor would be pretty worthless.

Such a solution even with 70% coverage of the larger sensor of the IQ4 would be a huge win for P1.

Paul C