The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One X-Shutter Expansion program is officially announced

lance_schad

Workshop Member
As of today October 6,2020 the Phase One X_Shutter ( the digital COPAL 0 replacement) that has been exclusive to the the (5) native Phase One XT lens panels has been expanded to include the remounting of most current Schneider and Rodenstock lenses in either the Cambo RS/DS & XT compatible lens panels as well as regular Flat Panels for bellows type camera systems which is excellent news for those who wish to utilize 1/1000 flash sync on set in studio!

Please be advised that since these are not fully integrated native XT lens panels (with the pins for information transfer/control with IQ4) that you will use a special cable to connect the X-Shutter to the IQ4 Back which allows for control of Aperture/Shutter Speed and passing of that EXIF data, there is no recording of X/Y movements like the native XT lens panels offer.

unnamed.jpgunnamed-1.jpg
Remounting is available through your Phase One reseller who in turn will send the lens to Cambo NL who has the exclusive on the remounting services. (Digital Transitions has additional information and an easy to use information request form located here, full disclosure I work for DT)

The pricing of remounting a lens that is in a Cambo mount currently (either normal or T/S) is $4,900 plus shipping. This includes the cable that connects to the IQ4 for control of Aperture/Shutter Speed and passing of that EXIF data. This will take approximately 4 weeks

If you have a lens that is naked or in another brands mount (Alpa,Arca,etc) it is priced at $4,900 plus shipping in addition to the cost of the Cambo mount (normal or T/S) and those mounts vary in price from $1,249-$2,129. This will approximately 6-9 weeks.

Also if you are planning to use your XT native mounted lenses on your existing Cambo body, it is recommended you send it in for an update to add a slot to protect the pins from XT mount.
Here is an image of the modification.
cambo _ mod.jpg

Cambo has the rights to this until March 2021.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions and or visit our website at Phase One X-Shutter Additional Information.

Lance

Attachments

vjbelle

I don't understand the inclusion of the Schneider 60MM 'N' lens and not the XL. The 'N' lens is very old..... Hopefully this is just an error.

Pricing is very steep....

Victor B

Reactions: med

JeRuFo

Do I understand from this list that the 138 is the telephoto lens they are going to bring out as XT-lens? Seems to be pretty much the only one missing from the Digaron lens line.

Not a big surprise, but still.

Phase V

If i get this right then you can not use a existing Digaron lens to let it mount into a "true" XT adapter with pins, you only
get a version with cable. If you want a true XT lens you have to buy it new, very clever Phase One, Thank you.

med

Steep pricing, but I don’t think that anyone expected otherwise.

Still waiting/hoping for an option other than IQ4-150 to control the x shutter... compatibility with Alpa Silex would be great but doubt that would happen. My dealer hinted that Phase was working on the ability to control it with a phone app but that is probably just via the IQ4, unless they are also working on a powered dongle of some kid to connect to the shutter.

alistairsimmons

If i get this right then you can not use a existing Digaron lens to let it mount into a "true" XT adapter with pins, you only
get a version with cable. If you want a true XT lens you have to buy it new, very clever Phase One, Thank you.
Correct. You could save some £/€/$/¥, and not have the X/Y shift information.

darr

Commercial dealers, vendors and producers or representatives should not operate on the site in their commercial capacity/representation. Any direct or indirect postings promoting product/s will be removed.
... from forum rules posted.

If you remove your pricing it will not be so obvious how you use this site for sales harvesting. Better yet, pay to advertise your products and help this forum financially.

vjbelle

If the resulting image were actually going to be 'better', 'much better' then this could make some sense but it won't be. Same lens, same back, same photographer, same scene. Only the EXIF changes. It's a ton of money for some EXIF......

Victor B

alistairsimmons

If the resulting image were actually going to be 'better', 'much better' then this could make some sense but it won't be. Same lens, same back, same photographer, same scene. Only the EXIF changes. It's a ton of money for some EXIF......

Victor B
It's fair to say that there are some additional process improvements beyond EXIF data.
  • Ability to control all parameters from the back meaning no distraction from the lens
  • ability to sync with flash (if useful) to 1/1000s
  • (I'm hoping with the new firmware) ability to adjust exposure through Live View, as we have with XF/XT.
For me the EXIF data is by-the-by.

JeRuFo

That first one is a big one for me. No need to see the front of the camera anymore after you've assembled it. Which is a big thing for me. You can stick it on a tripod in an awkward spot and stand back and shoot after focussing. Especially in the dark or when in a dangerous spot camera-wise (standing in the water or on the edge of a cliff), no need to mess up the composition by turning it around.

It is a bit of a bummer that it doesn't record movements. For that price I would like to get access to that, since I'm clearly already in the Phase One ecosystem with a camera, back, electronic shutter and software.

Paul Spinnler

If I were Alpa I would sue Phase One. It is their death. Suing because it is all made in such a way to disincentivize any future Alpa purchases - oh wait, in fact you cant remount Alpa lenses to Alpa!

Paul Spinnler

Ok do I get it right - you can use an XT lens with a tilt mount modification with digital connection with the XT body? This costs more than the cambo version which is not xt compatible and requires then a cable on the cambo? So basically the best solution money can buy is the xt lens from p1 then converted and the on top of the xt a modified cambo body? so u can basically use a xt native modified cambo lens with the xt with tilt and when more shift is requires u can use it on a body as well with cable? by going cambo x shutter u save on the price but lose xt connectivity? if u are alpa u lost out until sometime mid next year? like mounting program exclusivity stops end of march and re mounting takes 9 weeks?

Paul Spinnler

So the best available config is always xt native price plus 1300 for tilt; as alpa user u pay five grand per lens and need to wait until sometime mid 2021?

Mexecutioner

If I were Alpa I would sue Phase One. It is their death. Suing because it is all made in such a way to disincentivize any future Alpa purchases - oh wait, in fact you cant remount Alpa lenses to Alpa!
I imagine that lawsuit would get tossed in the trashcan very quickly.

Paul Spinnler

Well depends on what was agreed verbally - I understood always that P1 had said that X-Shutter Upgrades would be available as of Q1 2020; Alpa thought that too. Never was it mentioned that there will be a staggered launch whereby Cambo gets first dibs. Let us be honest. They want to drive Alpa out of business. The only value Alpa has left is the brand and the customer base and maybe the design rights. But no customers, no brand value ... so P1 might just buy them at one point. Suing I mean would make sense if P1 broke a verbally agreed access to the X-shutter at same conditions as Cambo.

If P1 buys Alpa's brand - move operations to DK (meaning Swiss office will be closed or reduced) and just crank out P1 / Alpa bodies with digital connector pins. This joint commercial attack by Cambo and P1 is the end of a good run this company had. Twenty good years - but they never invested in proprietary tech - so basically they will now face the fate of Sinar. They have a Swiss cost base, insufficient marketing (IG alone does not cut it), no access to X-shutter, no proprietary tech and the fact that customers will have to wait till mid 2021 to get Alpa X-shutter basically means they are out of business. Oh and they just invested into cinema lenses ... pls. leave that to Arri and Zeiss ...

Last edited: