The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One XT Rodenstock 50mm f/4 in-depth review

vieri

Hello everyone! Today, I completed the third of a series of four in-depth reviews dedicated to Rodenstock lenses, in particular used in X-Shutter and on a Phase One XT. This third article will analyse the Rodenstock 50mm f/4, covering a classic focal length equivalent of 35mm on so-called full-frame 135 systems.

The XT Rodenstock 50mm f/4 is a truly amazing lens, it definitely didn't disappoint in my tests and getting it in X-Shutter will also offer quite a wealth of automated digital integrations with the IQ4 that I love to have on my tech camera.

You can find the whole review here, if interested:

https://www.vieribottazzini.com/2021/07/xt-rodenstock-50mm-f-4-in-depth-review.html

Looking forward to your comments! Best regards,

Vieri

I’ve enjoyed your reviews of these lenses, Vieri. In general, I’ve been very impressed with the Rodenstock lenses I have (32/50/90), but find that the 32 and 90 are slightly better than the 50. All three are amazing and are the best lenses I have used to the point that whenever I come back from a trip where I had to use my Sony gear instead of my tech camera, I’m always disappointed.

I would be interested to read an article or get your thoughts about your in the field workflow with your PhaseOne gear and how/if your workflow has had to change. Some specific questions would include things like whether you use grad filters, whether you use ND filters or use frame averaging, how you decide on the appropriate exposure, whether the new gear has allowed you to do things better/more quickly, etc.

Jacob

Phase V

Great work here Vieri, would be good to have the 70mm in comparison as well; maybe you can borrow one
from Phase One? This of course only if you have the time and have motivation to do so .

vieri

I’ve enjoyed your reviews of these lenses, Vieri. In general, I’ve been very impressed with the Rodenstock lenses I have (32/50/90), but find that the 32 and 90 are slightly better than the 50. All three are amazing and are the best lenses I have used to the point that whenever I come back from a trip where I had to use my Sony gear instead of my tech camera, I’m always disappointed.

I would be interested to read an article or get your thoughts about your in the field workflow with your PhaseOne gear and how/if your workflow has had to change. Some specific questions would include things like whether you use grad filters, whether you use ND filters or use frame averaging, how you decide on the appropriate exposure, whether the new gear has allowed you to do things better/more quickly, etc.

Jacob
Thank you very much for taking the time to read and comment, Jacob, much appreciated! Happy you found it interesting. Personally, I found the 23mm, 32mm and 50mm to be amazing performers, and equally strong when used at f/8 - f/11 which is where I would generally use them for my work. If anything, it seems to be that the 50mm has a flatter plane of focus compared to both the 23mm and 32mm.

About your curiosity, an article investigating the topics you mentioned is in the works, and I hope you'll find it interesting as well!

Have a great day, best regards

Vieri

vieri

Great work here Vieri, would be good to have the 70mm in comparison as well; maybe you can borrow one
from Phase One? This of course only if you have the time and have motivation to do so .
Thank you very much, happy you enjoyed the read! :) About reviewing the 70mm, I would love to review that as well, but I am afraid it won't happen anytime soon - if everything goes to plan, I will be on the road starting early September and up to mid-December, so that will have to wait for 2022 at the earliest - sorry about that!

Best regards,

Vieri