The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

PhaseOne XF/IQ3 50 MP, Lens 150 mm, Stacking

spassig

Hello

I am not sure if I am doing it right when using the Stacking tool.

I set the near point 2 m manually.
Then I switch to autofocus.
Press the back button.
Change the lens to manual.
I set the far point 10 m manually.
Then I switch to autofocus.
Sometimes the focus changes from 10 m to 7 m.
a) Why?
Press the front button.
The number of steps is displayed.
They are different depending on what aperture I set. That's clear for me.
I this basically workflow correctly, except a) Why?

Does anyone know if the individual distance settings increase from front to back because of the increased depth of focus?

Jochen (de)

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

spassig

Thanks for feedback.
I do not understand how the far point 23 and near point 153 relate to the distances in metres, see video by 1:00 s.

Jochen (de)

Paul2660

Not sure about meters. But for far point, you are dialing in (while viewing Live View), the distance focus point, you dial in gross adjustments with one wheel, and finer tune it in short steps (1/10 of a step) for the fine focus, set that point. Then using same formula, dial in the near point, gross focus first, then fine focus in the same short steps, and set. You should not be taking the camera out of AF during the entire process. Once near and fine points are set, all you have to do is set number of shots. It's critical on the XF as far as I know to be using Live View during the entire process. So it's a totally visual process, using the Live View screen and dials on XF to set the focus.

Paul

Paul2660

Glad to help, with the latest version of Helicon Focus, it seems to me that a slight amount of movement is now possible without creating aliasing. I wish P1 would figure out a way to display the Focus stack screen on the IQ back, as depending on my setup, at times it's hard to see on top of the XF to set the ranges.

Paul

spassig

Which lens do you mainly use for creating stacking photos?
I have a IQ3 50 MP and think this back will not support for better handling.
I have only used stacking three times. I used Photoshop to stitch the photos together.
I shoot mostly landscapes and think stacking is mostly used for macro photography?
I did not know Helicon Focus until now. Maybe I will install the trial

Jochen (de)

P. Chong

Helicon is definitely miles ahead of PS for focus stacking.

Which lens do you mainly use for creating stacking photos?
I have a IQ3 50 MP and think this back will not support for better handling.
I have only used stacking three times. I used Photoshop to stitch the photos together.
I shoot mostly landscapes and think stacking is mostly used for macro photography?
I did not know Helicon Focus until now. Maybe I will install the trial

Jochen (de)

alistairsimmons

I do not understand how the far point 23 and near point 153 relate to the distances in metres, see video by 1:00 s.
They don't refer to the distance per se. In the video the far point is '23 units away from infinity' and the near point is '153 units away from infinity'.

P. Chong

Yes, stacking was used in some of the pictures. Under Watches, the Chopin was shot with Hasselblad using tilt/shift And the Petermann-Bedat is by stacking with the Phase One XF IQ4 150 with the SK Blue Ring 120 Macro.

@Peter
did You use stacking?
On your first link I don’t see this type.
I only looked at your photos briefly, though.

Jochen (de)