The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Photo editing with iPad Pro

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
I purchased a 1gb 12.9” pro pretty much on launch day and have been using it for nearly all my editing since then.

Controversial but true.

But I still really dislike Adobe ;-)
Thanks for the details on your workflow - it's an inspiration. Your starting place is exactly where I am today. The issue for me is LRCC. I shoot primarily with a Leica M10 or Sony A7riii. Mostly landscape and cityscape. Exclusively with primes. I stitch a lot, and fuss with perspective a fair amount. Stitching is my second step in LR, after importing. LRCC simply doesn't have the editing tools that I need. But all of these software packages have evolved by adding features, so maybe it will get there.

Again, thanks for sharing.

SrMphoto

Normally, the iPad is the backup for camera, etc. :D You back it up when you get back to a WiFi spot or your desktop system.

My personal experience with the iPad as mobile computing and backup device is that it's rock solid. I've been using iPad devices since 2011, when the iPad 2 came out, and I have yet to have a single lock up or missing file on any of them. I *never* worry about data on the iPad at all. I back up my iPad and iPhone devices to web storage with WiFi when available, and to my computer with a wired connection. When I can't connect either way, I just keep working and don't worry about it. I've not lost a single file regardless of the thousands of image files and other stuff I've created or downloaded into the iPads. Not one.

That said, Sandisk has flash and SSD drive backup solutions for Lightning connector iPads/iPhones. The USB-C connection on the current iPad Pro models is brand new and they haven't upgraded their app and devices for it just yet, at least that I can tell. I'm sure they will in short order. Ideally, they would create a backup system that allowed backup to any compatible bus-powered USB-C SSD or flash drive. It's not too difficult to do.

(I could probably write an app like that myself, given some time and motivation to do it. Maybe I should... :) )

G
It has been the case that I am away from good internet (i.e., not the slow satellite connection) for weeks or a month. Even though I have never lost files on iPad, it is thinkable that the iPad could be destroyed or stolen during a trip. Hence, the mandatory backup plan. Carrying about 20-40 memory cards to keep the originals untouched is one possibility

I wonder why nobody has yet written an iOS app that writes out to a connected drive.

WD has a wireless external disk that could be used, but user reviews are pretty damning. Sandisk has iXpand flash drives, but they have only lightning connectors at the moment and seem to have issues as well (e.g. loosing metadata)
Has anone direct experience with any of the two mentioned devices?

Godfrey

It has been the case that I am away from good internet (i.e., not the slow satellite connection) for weeks or a month. Even though I have never lost files on iPad, it is thinkable that the iPad could be destroyed or stolen during a trip. Hence, the mandatory backup plan. Carrying about 20-40 memory cards to keep the originals untouched is one possibility

I wonder why nobody has yet written an iOS app that writes out to a connected drive.

WD has a wireless external disk that could be used, but user reviews are pretty damning. Sandisk has iXpand flash drives, but they have only lightning connectors at the moment and seem to have issues as well (e.g. loosing metadata)
Has anone direct experience with any of the two mentioned devices?
Just how many images do you make on a trip?
Exactly.

On a photo trip, I typically make 2000 to 3000 exposures over the course of three to four weeks. One 128G SD card with my CL will hold well in excess of 2200 raw exposures. I carry three, and never delete anything from the cards.

On a more casual trip, I might make only 200-300 exposures.

My Light L16 camera has 256G built in storage. I just backed up the entire contents of the camera to an archive after a year's use ... that was just shy of 1000 exposures. And there's lots and lots of photos in that archive I haven't processed yet.

What goes on the iPad is always a subset of that, and it doesn't need to be backed up because the only reason I move exposures to the iPad while traveling is to process a couple quickly and post them to the network to share while I'm going. If EVERYTHING on the iPad was lost, I'd hardly notice it; if the iPad was stolen, I'd keep an eye on the network for it and wipe it, lock it so as to make it useless to the thief, as soon as I saw it appear.

I don't need backups of my backups of backups... :toocool:

G

Godfrey

Between 300 - 30,000, depending on the trip (kind and length). I try not to fill up the card and then change in the field, instead I always start the day with an empty card.
Whenever I see numbers like that, I have to ask: What do you do with 30,000 exposures? This is not a disparagement, just curiosity.

When I am shooting motorcycle racing, I often come home with several hundred—even up a a thousand— exposures. Once I've completed a first edit pass, that's usually down to thirty, and a second edit pass will drop that to a dozen. I only do that kind of stuff once in a great while, and there's no way I'm ever going to back up the original 600 or 700 images ...

G

SrMphoto

Whenever I see numbers like that, I have to ask: What do you do with 30,000 exposures? This is not a disparagement, just curiosity.

When I am shooting motorcycle racing, I often come home with several hundred—even up a a thousand— exposures. Once I've completed a first edit pass, that's usually down to thirty, and a second edit pass will drop that to a dozen. I only do that kind of stuff once in a great while, and there's no way I'm ever going to back up the original 600 or 700 images ...

G
Sure, I'd be happy if I have a dozen that are real keepers from those 30,000. I may be missing some at the first culling so I keep all until I am home, wait a couple of months and review them again. If you are shooting wildlife whole day (from 6am to 9pm), a 1000 images a day is not that excessive. Even with medium format camera you could easily shoot 500 images a day (e.g., aerial work).

I never delete pictures while I am in the field and until I have backed them all up at home. Mistakes happen.

Last edited:

Godfrey

Sure, I'd be happy if I have a dozen that are real keepers from those 30,000. I may be missing some at the first culling so I keep all until I am home, wait a couple of months and review them again. If you are shooting wildlife whole day (from 6am to 9pm), a 1000 images a day is not that excessive. Even with medium format camera you could easily shoot 500 images a day (e.g., aerial work).

I never delete pictures while I am in the field and until I have backed them all up at home. Mistakes happen.
Different ways of working. I do my selections very quickly, that's usually why I move the photos onto the iPad in the first place. After two passes on 1000 images (about fifteen minutes), I delete all the ones that didn't make the grade for me.

G

jrp

I was SO close to giving up on LR. My advice to everyone is, don’t: take some time to understand how to use LRCC across devices and in conjunction with LR Classic and know that when Photoshop for iPad arrives, this combination will be the single most useful thing you ever had, bar your cameras and lenses themselves.

Controversial but true.

But I still really dislike Adobe ;-)
Thanks for this explanation of how you work. I was intrigued. And then my 20Gb of Adobe storage filled up. I see that you can buy extra storage from Adobe, but that seems poor value for money to me in comparison to picture storage costs from Amazon, Google, Flickr, even Apple, etc.

I would need terrabytes of storage for my complete set of pics; I don't want to spend time decanting pics from the cloud. (I am not sufficiently disciplined to have * rated my entire catalog.)

So I think that the workflow turns out not to be for me. Instead I process in Lightroom Classic on the go and save the metadata into the raw files / XMP files. Back at base, I copy the raws onto my NAS (which pushes them up to cheap cloud storage) and import them into the Lightroom Classic catalog on my base machine.

This is still a bit clunky, so the search for the optimal workflow continues. ...

Godfrey

The most difficult part of moving my image processing to the iPad and/or using tools other than Lightroom 6.14 on macOS is being able to apply the same corrections/rendering adjustments to more than one similar photo in order to achieve a consistent look and feel for an entire set of photos. SnapSeed gives instructions for doing this that I simply cannot make work; RAW Power doesn't seem to have the facility to copy and paste settings. I'm still exploring this aspect of my image processing in Affinity Photo.

The presets that one can make for Import, Develop, Metadata, Slide Show, and Print in Lightroom make this aspect of my processing workflow a breeze ... even if there are sometimes features and tools of the other apps that make them superior for the rendering job. It's why I'm not rushing to dump LR 6.14 and be done with the Adobe hegemony. :)

--- FLASH! ---

While I was writing this, I got a thought, opened SnapSeed, and did a few edits to a photo. Rather than looking for what their documentation was suggesting, I found a command called "View Edits" and selected it. The edit stack was displayed. The command menu then changed to "Copy". I did that, and opened another photo. I used the same tool to get to "View Edits" and then the command menu brought up "Insert". Choosing that dropped the previous edit stack in place. Much better: Now I can get the same edits across a range of similar photos.

I bet RAW Power has some facility like this that I simply haven't found yet.

The adventure continues. :D

G

DougDolde

I wouldn't want anything less than a real computer, monitor, keyboard, mouse for editing images. I don't see any other way to get the best out of raw files.

I dont get it really

ndwgolf

I wouldn't want anything less than a real computer, monitor, keyboard, mouse for editing images. I don't see any other way to get the best out of raw files.

I dont get it really
Maybe you should try the mew iPad Pro.....fantastic for working on H6D100c images using either lightroom, Affinity or Snapseed.

Neil