The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Photoshop goes subscription only

Photojazz

I agree with Godfrey, I rarely open an image in CS now, and if I do need to, I can open it in tiff from LR4. If Adobe gets their shorts in a twist with LR4, I will seek alternate image solutions. I am not buying into the cloud crap, nor am I renting my software. in other words, BITE ME. lol. I don't need a lot of software, and I can be creative about how I do things. I have 5 versions of CS to choose from. Talk to the hand... :facesmack:

robertwright

Dpreview has an adobe faq where they say that the dng converter will always be available so that if you want to run your raws through it, they will be recognized no matter what versions of camera raw/camera you are configured with.

My opinion, fifty years from now, when I'm very old and grey, I assure you, nothing that we have shot in digital and stored will be around. Either proprietary formats, storage media, poor archiving, whatever it is, its gonna bite- and all this stuff- is going to vanish.

The CC is just another quick step in that direction.

If you are not subscribed to your life and work- POOOF!:bugeyes:

iiiNelson

Agree. I will not buy a subscription either. Looks like CS6 creative suite will be on my computers a long time. I have a couple adjectives for them but will be a nice guy for now.
I have some verbs to go along with your adjective for them...

Frits

Adobe has gottten a lot of my money over the years. From very early PS to my current CS6 (as well as lightroom).
There is NO WAY that I will get a subscription. I am fine in upgrading for new versions if I choose to (I just about always do), but this subscription BS is not for me.
Bye bye Adobe, CS6 is the end of the run for me.

BenH

The CS6 Creative Suite is also the end of the Adobe upgrade ride for me after 17 years. I hate the idea of being forced to pay forever to have the software available for use. Don't pay at some point and you have nothing to fall back on. I hope that a good alternative to Photoshop will become available in the future.

Dustbak

I use PS every day, it is my main tool. I have bought every version since 2.0 which is too long ago to remember when that happened.

This move really feels like extortion to me. I would have preferred Adobe to fix CS6 so it doesn't constantly lose the cursor in mid operation or other annoying bugs.

I will keep using CS6 until I have really no other option anymore, hopefully it will be years before I spend another dime on Adobe and hopefully in the meantime there will be an alternative.

Craftysnapper

I feel sorry for all those that bought into the Adobe lie of the universal raw format and converted all their native raw file into DNG.

So much for DNG becoming a universal format, I cannot see anyone but Adobe supporting it now and in the future you will have to go on the cloud to open them when your old adobe software no longer works on the latest operating system!

So much for a universal raw format it seems it was just another way for adobe to tie you into them.

Adam L

I've been following this story both here and on Lu-la. I have a different opinion about this move.

It's very very expensive to manage and develop both platforms. I feel they made a good decision to focus on the future. I've seen way too many businesses get stuck into one operating model only to find that a competitor has positioned itself in a spot where the market is heading.

The market is heading to the cloud. This will not be the only software company to make this move, it's just one of the first. I can envision that this will speed up the development and bring PS to tablet devices in a way that is as responsive as the current desktop application.

Think about how computers have gotten more powerful over the last 10 years. The capabilities of today's tablets exceeds much of the compute capacity found in the late 1990's, and the explosion in bandwidth is staggering. It won't be long before your image is uploaded to the cloud as fast as you click the shutter.

To make this move, the underlying code needs a re-write. That isn't cheap to do but if they stay ahead of the market curve by making this investment now it's very possible that Adobe can remain a viable market force for years to come.

Microsoft did it with their MSOffice products but has much deeper pockets to maintain both platforms. They are taking a beating in the market today but I bet you'll soon see Microsoft tables on OS9 easily outpace sales from Apple's iPad. It's the case of being an early mover ahead of market acceptance. It will pay huge dividends for them in several years. I see the same outcome for Adobe.

I'm not one to be the early adopter. I still run Win7 and old MSOffice versions and expect I'll do the same with CS6. It suits my needs today but won't in a few years time.

Everything has gone up in cost over the past 4 years. If you want to complain about over priced photography items, ink seems to be a better place to start.

Godfrey

I feel sorry for all those that bought into the Adobe lie of the universal raw format and converted all their native raw file into DNG.

So much for DNG becoming a universal format, I cannot see anyone but Adobe supporting it now and in the future you will have to go on the cloud to open them when your old adobe software no longer works on the latest operating system!

So much for a universal raw format it seems it was just another way for adobe to tie you into them.
I don't see what your logic is behind this statement. The binding contract of the Digital NeGative license agreement and its accompanying DNG Specification and SDK has nothing to do with the distribution, licensing, and purchase of Adobe application software.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Sorry if this is discussed elsewhere, but what about alternatives? With Aperture for DAM and C1 for RAW conversion, I only go to PS for its healing brush and related smart tools.

What's your favorite comparably talented software? I like LR, especially for printing, but Adobe is never getting another penny from me, whether they back down this time or not. Software is an investment in time as well as money, and they have squandered trust on the time issue.

--Matt

Oh, and I'll have to find another place to perform Jack's resizing workflow....

Ebe

PhotoLine / "http://www.pl32.com"
Download and give it a try!
I purchased it because it does a few things I
need better than PS. I use both PS and PL32 depending on what I need to do.
It does involve some retraining and lacks some of the power of PS.
It cost only a fraction the money, loads a lot quicker, and is a good tool.
If it does all that you need it could be a cheap replacement for PS.

gazwas

Adobe says that they will keep camera raw up to date for CS6 going forward
I'm just tired of all this Adobe rubbish and have no intention dealing with a company who abandons its customers for a major product release just 12 months after its release. I know CC might be a cheap way into the Adobe suit of software for new users but why turn their back on existing customers (unless they are willing to pay). While the ACR update may be something to some, what happens when I buy a new Mac in the summer and its running 10.9 and it breaks CS6?

Give us your money or its tough! :thumbdown:

Michiel Schierbeek

It is the strategy of phone companys. (although they still have a prepaid possibility)
Get a subscription to as many bankaccounts as you can. It is much more profitable then to depend on real buyers, because many people skip versions. Also, even if you would buy every new version, this is still a major price increase.

I suspect that many people will look for alternatives, especially very small businesses and individuals. And I think the alternatives will grow fast in a time that people are trying to cut down there automatic monthly payments to a 1001 subscribers/companys that they already have.

But may be I am wrong and Adobe has enough potential subscribers, big companys etc etc..
But I have always learned from the taxman, that it is far more profitable to raise taxes a little for millions then to ask a lot from far fewer millionairs.
As a result of this philosophy Adobe should not raise there prices but lower them for the millions.

Their stock has dropped a 7% in the last few days, not a good sign.

Cloud (hotair) Alternatives are;
Gimp
DXO
Aperture
Darktable
Rawtherapee
Pixelmator (Mac)
Lightzone
Corelpaint
Rawdeveloper (Iridientdigital)
Softonic (MAC)
and many more I presume.

richieboone

Adobe has been King for too long!
This may open the door for it's competitors...

To me Adobe has one of the worst Customer Service Departments anyway.
(Talking to someone in a foreign land who knows little about the product it represents).

I have been using PS for 13 years or so--I'm looking forward to some new competition.

gurtch

THE CC is a killer for amateurs like me. I am 76 years old, and built my 1st chemical darkroom in 1959. Obviously, I have a ton of negatives, scanned negative files, and original digital files. Even though I am an amateur, I supplement my (fixed) income by selling my framed seascapes. I just upgraded to CS6, thinking I was good for several years or so. I am now screwed; I always tried to save up enough money to PURCHASE what I wanted, in lieu of renting. My files (most in layered PSDs), are to me and my family priceless. I had hoped my kids and grandkids would cherish my work, and be able to use the files if they so chose. $20 a month is not a game changer for me, but add it up over several years....and everyone knows once I am"hooked" the price will sure as heck go up. I tried Lightroom, but I am just too old to change from Bridge and PS.
Regards all
Dave in NJ
MODERN PICTORIALS