The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Processing with DXO PureRAW 2

biglouis

I've been trialling DxO PureRAW 2 (PR2) and in certain cases I have found it to be an advantage over my normal workflow. I thought I'd share some samples here. I am not related to the company, have no axe to grind and am not shilling.

My workflow is normally RAW --> LR --> TopazAI products if required --> Export to JPEG.

With PR2 it is RAW --> LR --> Export to PR2 --> TopazAI products if required --> Export to JPEG.

The whole purpose of PR2 is to process the RAW file at the same time correcting lens distortions, fringing, noise reduction and sharpening. It is a one-stop shop. In my tests it is rarely necessary to apply further noise reduction or sharpening, even on severely noisy or slightly soft images. I am most surprised in this respect. I recently acquired the WA adapter for my Ricoh GRIII which introduces fringing in objects against a light background (e.g. sky) and PR2 removes it entirely. Also impressive is the fact that so far DxO has recognised my Fuji lenses, including combinations like the 100-400+TC2.0x and has specific profiles for them (I haven't check all of them but I would be surprised if the list was not comprehensive).

The main disadvantage of PR2 so far is in terms of work flow. The software insists on keeping all processed images in a sub-folder off the folder containing the images. This may not affect you but it interferes with my workflow. After processing the image appears in a new film strip in Lightroom. I thin have to right click and select 'show image in folder' to have it displayed in context with the original folder film strip. What is more all my export presets are to subfolders and now I have to remember that my jpegs for the DxO processed files go into a sub-folder of the sub-folder! This may not impact you but it does me and there appears to be no way to have the processed images just be in the original folder.

Once the trial is completed (and it is a full working copy with no limitations for 30 days) I will purchase the software but my plan is to use it only for those small percentage of images that one ends up with after a particular shoot. The one or two hero shots that I end up keeping or I submit as the finished work if a client is involved.

If I have one recommendation it is that while the software is a free, fully working copy, you will benefit from giving it a try. I had to photograph in some very difficult lighting last week (full candlelight!) and in normal circumstances I would have spent a long time with the Topaz products trying to get something out of the handheld shots taken necessarily at high iso, (fortunately most of the shots were long exposures at base iso on a tripod). With PR2 I was staggered that I passed some very high-iso, noisy shots through the software and got out results which were clean, sharp and still full of detail (and not 'plasticised' like a lot of heaving noise reduction software). They can easily be printed up to A3 the client requirement, without any apparent loss of acuity, imho. I'm not sure I could have got to the same result with the Topaz products, or at least it might have taken me a long time, to do so.

The proof of the pudding is in the easting and these are three photographs that I took on a recent trip to capture images of Red Kites in the Chiltern Hills in the UK. I chose an image which was not quite sharp but had a lot of potential in terms of impact. These are full sized crops from the image which I hope will be reproduced here if you click on them.

BOTTOM LINE: especially for birders but also people aiming to create high quality fine art images, I think PR2 is able to sharpen and reduce noise but leave good detail and is worth using to either improve or rescue your images, if it fits into your workflow. It a surprising conclusion to me that it seems to create better results than just using the Topaz suite alone.

What do you think?

This particular photograph was taken with the X-T4, XF100-400+TC2.0x, 719mm, iso1250, f11, 1/2000. This is cropped to 11% of the original 25mpx frame giving a 1600x1867 image. (Cropping like this is part and parcel of a lot of bird photography). The TC2.0 has had inevitable impact on the IQ leading to a soft image, even though the shutter speed has stopped the action. Perhaps a faster shutter speed might have increased sharpness further but at a loss of iso and in my experience little additional improvement.

_DSF5994.jpg

This is the image after putting the RAF file through PR2 first - there seems to be an immediate improvement in sharpness and detail.
_DSF5994-RAF_DxO_DeepPRIME.jpg

As a test I then put the DNG created by PR2 through TopazSharpen, my normal tool for sharpening. There is still some benefit to be gained and my preference is for this final image.

_DSF5994-RAF_DxO_DeepPRIME-Edit.jpg

Knorp

Looking good, Louis.
I bought PR2 on a whim, but jury is still out.
I’ll see if I can find and post some (gfx) images tonight.

scho

The main disadvantage of PR2 so far is in terms of work flow. The software insists on keeping all processed images in a sub-folder off the folder containing the images. This may not affect you but it interferes with my workflow. After processing the image appears in a new film strip in Lightroom. I thin have to right click and select 'show image in folder' to have it displayed in context with the original folder film strip. What is more all my export presets are to subfolders and now I have to remember that my jpegs for the DxO processed files go into a sub-folder of the sub-folder! This may not impact you but it does me and there appears to be no way to have the processed images just be in the original folder.
Good review Louis. Your workflow is very similar to mine, although I have also tried importing files directly through PR2 from the sd card and bypass initial LR import. It is possible to have PR2 export the processed files directly into a custom folder specified under Destination Folder option in the Process dialog window. This avoids the sub-folder issue.

biglouis

Bart: that would be good to see if you have time to post some examples.

Carl: the thought did occur to me and I must try this next time I process a batch of files, which will probably be after a trip out tomorrow. Thanks for the advice.

LouisB

pegelli

Spot the difference ... 🤔
The second image is definitely brighter than the first one (average histogram 118.7 vs 108.4). Is that an effect of PureRAW2/Deep Prime or did the images get a different treatment in C1? (or apply a different profile to a RAF vs. a DNG). Sharpness/detail wise I don't see a big difference, but from that perspective I wouldn't think there's much detail/noise to improve for a photo with a MF camera so close to base iso.

I guess there's probably more to be gained by the program with a M4/3 photo at 800 or 1600 iso

biglouis

RAF -> Capture ONE -> JPEG 90% 4000x3000

RAF -> PureRAW2 (DeepPrime) -> DNG -> Capture ONE -> JPEG 90% 4000x3000
The second one does look brighter and sharper. This is what I have so far found when I have used PR2. It seems to make good decisions about sharpening and noise reduction (if required).

It is an intriguing product. I thought the Topaz products were at the top of the game but there is definitely a new contender in PR2.

LouisB

Knorp

The second image is definitely brighter than the first one (average histogram 118.7 vs 108.4). Is that an effect of PureRAW2/Deep Prime or did the images get a different treatment in C1? (or apply a different profile to a RAF vs. a DNG). Sharpness/detail wise I don't see a big difference, but from that perspective I wouldn't think there's much detail/noise to improve for a photo with a MF camera so close to base iso.

I guess there's probably more to be gained by the program with a M4/3 photo at 800 or 1600 iso
Exactly, Pieter. Or I am a brilliant (or lousy) editor or I have no suitable 'bad' GFX samples.
But I think the images Louis posted here show a clear improvement.
Perhaps if a took a µ43 image ...
That would make sense, no ?

Knorp

Thanks for posting these files.

I compared them at high magnification to see what DXO was doing. You saved me some money. ;)
Ha Rob, what was it with one swallow ... ?
Perhaps I better post a link to the RAWs so you could see for yourself without my 'trickery' spoiling the judgment.
How about that ?

But I found that in particular the wooden railing looks better in PR2.

Wooden railing without PureRAW2
Screenshot 2022-03-25 at 06.41.10.png

wooden railing with PureRAW2
Screenshot 2022-03-25 at 06.44.53.png

biglouis

After Rob's comment I went back and looked at your images again but my feeling is that PR2 has brought out more detail than the original processed file.

Believe me,, I am sceptical about all these add-on products. So, I am surprised at the results I am getting with PR2.

LouisB

Last edited:

archiM44

RAF -> Capture ONE -> JPEG 90% 4000x3000

RAF -> PureRAW2 (DeepPrime) -> DNG -> Capture ONE -> JPEG 90% 4000x3000
I have tried right-click in Capture One and then "Open in PR2" using the the settings as shown and ignoring the export to dialog followed by just synchronizing the original folder.
Doesn't seem to create any problems and lets me continue in Capture One.

Attachments

rdeloe

Ha Rob, what was it with one swallow ... ?
Bart, I should preface by saying that my comment was not meant to be snarky! I genuinely meant that you made it possible for me to quickly see that this clever tool is not for me. I had the same reaction when I tested Gigapixel AI.

In a nutshell, these kinds of tools leave sharpening behind and enter the territory where they are creating detail that is not present; sometimes those details don't make sense relative to the image. For example, when I trialled Gigapixel AI, it found parts of the scene that were in areas that should not be sharp because they were outside the zone of acceptable sharpness. Gigapixel AI was trained using a lot of text, so when it found a sign with writing in the area that should be out of focus, it went "Ah ha -- I can fix that!", and "fixed" it. The result was clear lettering on a sign in a region where everything should have been slightly out of focus. I saw the same thing with leaves and branches; they clearly trained it on loads of shrubs and trees because a tree in the out-of-focus area popped into sharp artificial focus after Gigapixel AI was done; it looked strange to see a well-defined tree in an area where everything else was soft.

Here are three examples of what I saw that bothered me. Note that these are high magnification; on screen or reasonable sized print, the DXO versions might look just fine.

1. In this region, DXO has figured out that there's a texture in the road that looks like a composite of small rocks, so it has created those rocks. In the pavers, it has created (or "filled in") regions of colour change and detail. Notice too how it has strongly enhanced the ring of flare that is just barely visible at right. Did you want that ring enhanced? We don't get a choice with these tools because they don't know what we want.

Sample 1.jpg

2. Look at how the reflections of the water in the building (through the railing) have been enhanced. When I first saw this part of the image, I thought I was looking out across the water. In an image like this, it's highly unlikely that the reflection of the water in the building would be this clear and distinct. We're all familiar with reflections of things in nature and in urban settings; I found this jarring and false. The trees above the railing have the same issue. The software is unable to distinguish a line of distant trees that are soft because of distance and haze from the reflection of a line of trees in a building; it treats them both the same. The result, as here, is that the trees are more distinct than they could be because that's not a mirror in your house; it's the skin of a building, which means the glass will be slightly wavy, likely covered with a fine layer of dirt from the last rainfall, and not perfectly reflective because it's not a mirror.

Sample 2.jpg

3. In this third example, we see some of the issues I've already mentioned, plus a new one: it's discovered (or invented) a pattern in the wood decking.

Sample 3.jpg

Tools like this are the future of the photography. Each of us will have to decide whether they are compatible with how we create. For me, they are a bridge too far.

archiM44

After making side by side comparisons with my raw files in capture one, I also noticed that some distant things which should be out of focus at f1.4 (summilux) are suddenly sharpened.
to be used with care or maybe just stick with C1 for a more natural and predictable look.

Knorp

There's probably not much if anything at all, rather the opposite, PR2 can improve on a technically good file.
But, as Louis demonstrated, on a technically impaired file there's hope and every reason to believe it could be enhanced.
So far for that one swallow ... ;)

bab

would be nice if DXO (since reading many reviews that don't mention my suggestion) would include a couple of sliders to vary the amount of detail/sharpening that's applied and/or the option to switch if OFF. When I PP my portrait images I NEVER want any sharpening and neither do my models!!!

scho

would be nice if DXO (since reading many reviews that don't mention my suggestion) would include a couple of sliders to vary the amount of detail/sharpening that's applied and/or the option to switch if OFF. When I PP my portrait images I NEVER want any sharpening and neither do my models!!!
There is an option to turn off sharpening and/or optical corrections in PR.

biglouis

Great analysis and input in this thread. Without appearing ingratiating, one reason why I like hanging out here at GetDPI.

My feeling is that this is not a general purpose tool but one in toolbox to be used as and when appropriate. My toolbox includes LR (even better now with the new masking tools), Photoshop (cloning repairs, focus stacking, LAB colour processing), Color Efex (several recipes I apply to boost impact, or if I want to create a common look/feel for a series of photographs), TopazDeoniseAI (very useful in certain circumstances, although my feeling is that PR2 does a better job), Perspective Efex (sometimes, although mostly I do perspective correction in LR) and now PR2. LR is my main RAW processor and more importantly library tool.

As my knowledge and experience with digital images has expanded over the last 20+ years so has my use of tools. I've not found one single application that can do it all.

Thanks again to all for a great discussion.

LouisB