The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Question about Mamiya 645 1000s [solved]

anyone

Hi there,

I recently bought a few nice Mamiya lenses and now got also an analogue body - the Mamiya 645 1000s - to use them with film.
Now I do have a question, it might be a dumb one, but maybe somebody can help me:

After I release the shutter, I cannot rewind the mirror, the lever is blocked. I need to each time press the tiny red button on the upper right side of the camera (the battery test button) in order to be able to rewind. In reviews, videos, etc. I couldn't see the same phenomenon.

Edit: Now after trying for a while, I found the problem: I switched the camera shutter speed to meter coupling mode - however, my prism viewfinder is the old model that does not allow for the coupling, therefore film advance was blocked.

Thank you!

Last edited:

MartinN

I used my Mamiya Super 645 today. And it keeps going and clicking. Battery cost is neglible. Really one of my favourite cameras. Happy photos, Mamiya is a perfect choice.

anyone

I mainly am interested in their super-fast lenses - the 80mm 1.9, 200mm 2.8. Those are lenses that are not available from Hasselblad, that's why I went into the system. My new camera has a few clitches, and I probably need to send it to service, but today I'll give it another try before I do so.

MartinN

Super fast with shallow dof can be quite difficult to focus on ground glass. I have the prism loupe for my Super, but usually rely on a bit of stepping down, that’s faster. The prism loupe and all that fiddling is a bit nerveracking, but maybe better than using a lens on AFD/DF with stopping down and forth. Still the AF light is very useful.