The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Question on Focus Stacking Auto Mode Fuji GFX100

Paul2660

I have been trying to better understand the Auto mode for focus stacking on the GFX100 (Fuji considers it a bracketing mode). As I understand it, you have to do the following:

Go to the drive mode button on the left, top, and after pressing this button, follow the menu to Focus Bracketing and select it
Go back to the main menu, go to third icon, (camera) and move over to the focus bracketing setting line and select it
Pick auto
Select you interval

Now you should be back to the main LCD view where you have the option to select A or B. As I understand it A is the near point, B is the far point. You can't use AF to set the points, instead the manual focus dial (or wheel as Fuji calls it).

You now can move the focus wheel and dial in the near focus point, A. A in yellow colored and once you have that spotted, hit the menu button. A turns black.
Now, you rotate the focus wheel to the far point and this is where I have issues.

Once I have obtained the spot I want for B, during the move B is yellow and once you hit the menu button, turn black.

Per Fuji, now all you need to do it hit the shutter.

What happens for me, is the camera fires 1 shot which tells me that the camera thinks you only want the shot taken at infinity.

The only way I get the auto method to work, is by:

Manually finding A via manual focus, and hitting the menu button, then finding B via the manual focus but NOT hitting the menu button to set it, instead just hit the shutter button.
Now the camera works perfectly, fires off a series of images, starting at the near point and ending where I manually focused for B.

This does not jive with the way I have read on various forums that it's supposed to work, and the instructions from Fuji are about the worst I have ever seen. I also can't find a video showing the setup, so I would appreciate anyone's feedback.

The Manual mode works perfectly, Once selected, and the 3 settings are made, (frames, step, interval) and I use AF to find the near point, I hit the shutter and it takes the frames.

After calling Fuji 2x on this, I realized that their tech support is clueless on this also, and both folks I spoke with only were familiar with focus bracketing on the X series cameras.

Thanks
Paul

Rand47

Put Focus Bracket Setting in My Menu.
Put camera in Manual Focus mode.
Put drive mode in Focus Bracket
Go to My Menu > Focus Bracket Setting > Auto > 0 sec > Select A (navigate with joy stick focus box to near point, press AF On button, then hit OK. Then navigate with joy stick focus box to far point and press AF On button, then press Disp/Back button. You’ll then see the menu item for “Auto” again. Ignore this and just press the shutter button, it starts the squence.

Rand

vjbelle

Rand has pretty much summed it up but with 'Auto' pick your close point, the camera will then ask you for 'B' the far point. From there hit the shutter button and you are done. For manual find your closest point and hit the shutter button.

Victor B.

Paul2660

This is why I wanted to use Auto, as you set a near and far point. Manual, it only goes from near, which is set to what camera feels is infinity.

Thanks for the replies, will try Rand47's method later today.

Paul

Rand47

Be aware of issues with automatic focus bracketing:

GFX 100S focus bracketing stops before infinity

I believe that is an issue with many cameras. Hasselblad solves it by allowing it to start at the far point, e.g., infinity.
Much as I admire Jim's thoroughness... this is a non-issue, issue. Shooting at any aperture that one might use for landscape and even macro work, the DOF of the "last frame" will take you to infinity, no problem. Lots of field experience with this and not one single sequence where I encountered a problem.

Rand

scho

Basically the same with the 50x models and X APSC cameras that I've used. I don't use manual focus and instead activate touch AF and just tap the screen at the points I want for A and B.

Paul2660

Rand. Thanks for the help. Amazing I was not able to figure this out. Once I followed your descriptions it works and quite well. Disappointing as how poorly this feature was documented by Fuji.
Paul

SrMphoto

Much as I admire Jim's thoroughness... this is a non-issue, issue. Shooting at any aperture that one might use for landscape and even macro work, the DOF of the "last frame" will take you to infinity, no problem. Lots of field experience with this and not one single sequence where I encountered a problem.

Rand
Jim is not the only one who had that problem. I have not done much landscape focus stacking with my GFX100 therefore I cannot contribute with experience. It may depend on the lens and settings. I suggest being aware that it can occur and always check the last frame or preemptively take an additional shot focused on the furthest point.

vjbelle

I also have not had an issue with infinity being in focus when using the 'Manual' stacking method. I am extremely happy with the stacking feature of the 100s and it was one of the major reasons for my purchase.

Victor B.

Rand47

Rand. Thanks for the help. Amazing I was not able to figure this out. Once I followed your descriptions it works and quite well. Disappointing as how poorly this feature was documented by Fuji.
Paul
Paul,

You’re quite welcome. Glad it was clear enough to apply! Yes, not only is it not very well documented, the button-press-sequence is almost nonsensical. I’ve actually made up some small laminated cards w/ the sequence printed on them - for some of my GFX friends.

Rand

zobeleye

Rand
[/QUOTE]
Put Focus Bracket Setting in My Menu.
Put camera in Manual Focus mode.
Put drive mode in Focus Bracket
Go to My Menu > Focus Bracket Setting > Auto > 0 sec > Select A (navigate with joy stick focus box to near point, press AF On button, then hit OK. Then navigate with joy stick focus box to far point and press AF On button, then press Disp/Back button. You’ll then see the menu item for “Auto” again. Ignore this and just press the shutter button, it starts the squence.

Rand
Hi Rand, actually the sequence you suggest does not exactly work that way, because if you navigate through the menu with moving the joystick to the right, which a lot of people do, you don't get to the A/B choosing option, since you have to press to press the joystick from the delay option to get to the A/B option. If you do it via the OK button, it works exactly as you say. Drove me crazy until I found out...

zobeleye

just thought I'd post this here as well, as a number of desperate users have asked me about this.
Happy shooting
Z

JimKasson

It's true that DOF can cover it up. I'm not the only person who has had issues with this. Lloyd Chambers has as well. It's certainly not a problem for macro work, since you don't want objects at infinity in focus there. It certainly is a problem for lens testing with distant subjects, which is where I found it.

Paul2660

Or just use Auto mode and manually set infinity. That has yet to fail for me. Can control the number of shots but for landscape images auto mode does not seem to be taking excess numbers of shots. Once I finally figured out how to set the infinity point reliably it’s the only mode I use.

Paul

cerett

Very informative thread. But, is there some reason not to just use the manual mode for landscapes? It seems to be very straightforward. I am using a GFX100s.

bab

is there a program for setting this up via smartphone as there should be and it would also be a lot easier