The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Questions on Zeiss C-Sonnar 50mm 1.5

anyone

Hi there,

50mm is my favourite focal length, and I am watching the C-Sonnar 50mm already (literally) for years. I could imagine here are some users of it to answer a few questions. I would adapt the lens to mirrorless (Canon RP), and possibly also later on add a Leica M film body. I like its size.

(1) The first question is about how the lens compares to legendary peers on mirrorless. I own a Zeiss Ultron 50mm 1.8, and also a Minolta 58mm 1.2. Both of them produce a very nice bokeh. That should be also one of the main qualities of the C-Sonnar, so I wonder how they compare?
(2) Most classic 50mm primes have a nice bokeh, but they are not tack-sharp for landscape use. My use case would be clearly to use it as a snapshot lens for people AND landscape. Is it decent at f8? Will it be better than my Leica-R 50mm/2?
(3) Performance on mirrorless: I would use the lens on the Canon RP. Occassionally, lenses that are originally for Leica M are reported to show color shift. How about this one?

Thank you very much!

Last edited:

KeithDM

My 50mm C-Sonnar is usually attached to my M7. However for one of my first outings with my M10M (February last year) I decided to try the combination and was very please with the results. A small album on Flickr from that day. 50mm-wise in addition to the Sonnar I have the Summilux-ASPH, 5cm Summicron Collapsible LTM and earlier this year added a Noctilux v4. As to deciding on any given day which to choose...

rayyan

Make sure it is aligned for use with your camera at f1.5. I love the bokeh.Lovely on my M8. I am lazy to go to my archives to get some pics.
As good as they come for landscapes f5.6-f8; at least on my ME.

Photon42

I realize I am late to the game but I also do own the Sonnar. Mine is the normal one - no optimizations for f/1.5. I like the lens very much and it is much easier in practical use than the internet may make you to believe. Yes - there is some focus shift - so at f/1.5 and 0.9m I correct a very little with the focus ring. Focussing from say 1.5-2m even at full aperture does not require corrections anymore. It is not the sharpest 50mm wide open, obviously, but I like the look. I would not have any hesitations to use it as a snapshot lens at f/8. I will be plenty sharp. Just keep in mind this is not a modern lens. That is why I have it.

anyone

Thank you for your help! I really like the rendering of the lens, hence the question. From your answers I conclude that it is completely usable for my 'walkaround' purposes.

Now I'm facing the question how it compares to other good vintage 50mm - I do not own a Leica M body, so I'm (at this stage) adapting it to mirrorless. My Minolta 58mm 1.2 is wonderful for portrait, and almost not usable for landscape. The Zeiss Ultron 50mm 1.8 and Leica R 50mm are good choices for all occassions.

Probably it comes down to 'is it special enough to have yet another 50mm in the closet' ;-)