The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

RE: Phase One DF+ shutter sticks / doesnt drop when back is attached

sixby45

Hi All - I'm having a weird issue. Currently I was out shooting some of my favorite flowers, and the shutter went up, after the back wiggled loose a bit, and stayed up. I've used a film AFD and had this happen as well, so I figured the sensor wasnt reading the back connection, powered down both back and body, and then turned them back on. No luck, tried settings, modes, and focus, still no luck. Removing the phase one battery - nothing, now weird part, removing the battery back battery - NOW it drops into place. Super weird! Never had one lock up so strangely :) Any ideas on if this is normal, or if things need to be cleaned / looked at? Thanks!

-Rich

steve_cor

What digital back do you have that it "wiggled loose a bit"? That is a weird issue itself. I've heard of people hitting the release button by accident, especially on a Leaf Aptus. The IQ backs have two release buttons so it's less likely to happen.

--Steve.

sixby45

Hi Steve, thanks for dropping in :) so its a Phase one IQ140 digital back, and it doesn't seem to have any "play" or looseness but from what I can tell after using it extensively yesterday and today, if I hold the camera and have my hand under the body and resting on the digital back section, I seem to have errors, like Digital Back Capture, or Digital back Battery warnings. If I keep my hand further forward and don't make contact with the back at all it seems to happen less. This isnt scientific by any means, but something I noticed, as I figured perhaps the battery itself was a bit loose on the contacts. The shutter locking up was a weird issue though - total reset of both cleared the issue, but a bit worrisome when the back was powering on normally, the DF+ was powering on fine, but neither could see each other :)

-Rich

RodK

You might us a q-tip to clean the contacts between the body and the back, and the battery contacts as well. Also, how old are your batteries for the back? They do have a finite cycle life.

sixby45

Thanks Rod - yeah I figured as much, and gave them all a good cleaning - I have the orignal battery which is a bit older, and a brand new one :) After the last cleaning seems a bit better. Hopefully it stays happy!

-Rich