The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Recommend A Mount Lenses for A99 F1.8-F2.0

rollsman44

Can you recommend a Sony A Mount Body? Dont need all the bells and whistles and 24Mpx is good enough for me. Thanks

pegelli

If you want a DSLR the option is A850 or A900. Pretty old technology but still very capable if you don't have to raise iso too far.

Otherwise it's A99, the last A-mount FF at 24 MP, better IQ than the two above but some people don't like the pellicle mirror.

Then there's the A99ii, same pellicle mirror, more bells and whistles and 42 MP

Basically that's all 4 A-mount FF cameras Sony ever produced. Reading your requirements I think the A99 is probably the one to go for.

rollsman44

If you want a DSLR the option is A850 or A900. Pretty old technology but still very capable if you don't have to raise iso too far.

Otherwise it's A99, the last A-mount FF at 24 MP, better IQ than the two above but some people don't like the pellicle mirror.

Then there's the A99ii, same pellicle mirror, more bells and whistles and 42 MP

Basically that's all 4 A-mount FF cameras Sony ever produced. Reading your requirements I think the A99 is probably the one to go for.
Hi Peter these are gorgeous. What Camera body/ lenses were used TY Dennis

pegelli

The only camera of these four I owned was the A850, used with all kind of A-mount lenses (primes and zooms), never had a problem. Probably my most used lenses were the 17-35D, 24-105D, 80-200/2.8G of the zooms and the 35/2, 85/1.4 G,100/2.8 macro D and 200/2.8 APO G as primes.

I'm sure all these lenses would also work fine on any of the other FF cameras.

Edit: probably forgot to mention the best prime I ever owned (next to the 200/2.8 which is a very close 2nd), which is the Sony/Zeiss 135/1.8.

iiiNelson

The only camera of these four I owned was the A850, used with all kind of A-mount lenses (primes and zooms), never had a problem. Probably my most used lenses were the 17-35D, 24-105D, 80-200/2.8G of the zooms and the 35/2, 85/1.4 G,100/2.8 macro D and 200/2.8 APO G as primes.

I'm sure all these lenses would also work fine on any of the other FF cameras.

Edit: probably forgot to mention the best prime I ever owned (next to the 200/2.8 which is a very close 2nd), which is the Sony/Zeiss 135/1.8.
I can confirm that the 135/1.8 is excellent isthe lens that likely moved a lot of A900 bodies. It’s also the only A-mount lens I still own.

rollsman44

I recently purchased this lens: Minolta AF APO Tele 200 F2.8 G Lens Has anyone used this lens and if so any feedback is appreciated. It has an Excellent Reputation

pegelli

I recently purchased this lens: Minolta AF APO Tele 200 F2.8 G Lens Has anyone used this lens and if so any feedback is appreciated. It has an Excellent Reputation
I still have it and use it a lot. Somehow I find the rendering very pleasing and sharpness is top-notch. Only problem is CA/fringing at large apertures (very common in older lenses) but these days the correction of that is very simple. I also had the A-mount CZ 135/1.8, also a stellar lens but not so special as the 200/2.8 APO, so I sold the more modern 135 and kept the older 200.

Here's a sample to see sharpness and bokeh @ f 3.2 (on an old A850)