The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

• HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL OUR AMERICAN FRIENDS!

Recommendations for medium format SLR

jdphoto

Cameras that are easily serviced would be a smarter choice. I decided on all mechanical for its simplicity and lack of electronics. I once craved a Contax 645 for my professional shoots, but service and parts are scarce in the industry even though the lenses are amazing. Understanding the zone system and metering handheld will forgo any need for electronics. Eventually, you won't need a meter at all except for determining long exposures at various apertures and reciprocity.

I admit I hardly ever use a light meter for night photography (long exposures.) Though yea long exposures during the day are a different matter. I used to shoot Fuji Velvia on medium format and with that particular film stock, reciprocity failure started to kick in at only around 4 or 5 seconds if I recall correctly.